Post Thanks / Like
    `ve just bought an `04 Honda CR-V EX of which I want to take the best possible care. My old car is an `85 Civic Wagon, which is being passed on to my 17 year old son. I`d appreciate any suggestions on the best way to care for the finishes on the V. I say "finishes" because there is a lot of black plastic "trim" which seems to pick up every water spot going. I won`t be taking it off road - but still manage to find puddles and road construction in my daily commute. It is garaged at night, and parked under some cover at work. We are in Phoenix AZ - where the sun blazes every day! & one more quick question on the V - I`m only 5`3" - how do you reach everywhere to clean & polish? (stepladder? or human growth hormones?

On to the `85 Civic - still original paint, been waxed @ 2 /year, but needs a good cleaning & polishing - some parking lot scratches - GRRRR! & gravel chips in hood - would appreciate a plan of attack for it as he wants to make it "like new"! Also, recommendations for engine/under hood cleaning? Sorry if I went on too long, but this area is new to me and I don`t want to waste time & money on the wrong things!

norahcrv has attached this image:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Search and Learn! are your new best friends. It takes a lot of research and practice to start out and then you`ll continually learn things along the way. If you are polishing and waxing by hand then make sure the products you are using can by used that way, usually notes so on the bottle. I don`t want to sway you in product decision-making but 1Z offers some great and easy to use polishes, check the Autopia store for 1Z or visit their website, einszett NA. I`ve found them to be the most effective and efficient polishes so far.

As for your plastic trim, there are a ton of good products to choose from but I go between 303 Aerospace Protectant and 1Z Tiefenpfleger. Both offer UV protection but I think the Tiefen is more water-resistant.

Good luck and enjoy reading up on car care!
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! :wavey

I`d start off by reading David`s e-book, Autopia Guide to Detailing. It`s free and you can get it via the "Learn" link above.

One item to think about: How much time are you willing to devote to washing, waxing, etc.? If you just want to keep the car protected, a synthetic wax (Klasse, Zaino, and 1Z Glanz) would probably best meet your needs. They are durable and relatively easy to work with.

As for the plastic black trim... I have the same issue as well with my `04 Saturn VUE. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on it, although I`m waiting for my package of 1Z products to come in.

In terms of reaching the top of the car, a step-stool works well.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your plan of attack should start with how much you want to invest - to really get the 85 looking it`s best you will need a tool (Porter Cable or rotary), then pads, clay, polish, swirl mark remover, wax or sealant or both... - Depending on how deep you want to get into it, it might be easier to take it to a detailer then maintain it and your new car with a smaller line of products you can apply by hand.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestion on the black trim: Use Klasse AIO on it. On the black trim on my Japanese vehicles, I just treat it like paint- AIO and SG. On the European vehicles, I use AIO topped with BF. Note that SG won`t hold onto dust the way some Exterior Vinyl/Rubber (ERV) dressings will; as I recall, Phoenix is pretty dusty. With SG on the trim, you just wash the vehicle and dry it. No need to redo the trim all the time.

Much as I like 1Z polishes I always end up using the Klasse twins on Japanese vehicles. It looks pretty good and provides a lot of protection. And being able to just treat the black trim the same way as the paint saves a lot of time and effort. Klasse would hold up well in the AZ sun, too.

I use a step-platform to get up higher. Mine is a Werner, but there are cheaper alternatives.

Thread Information