Post Thanks / Like
    My wife`s black `04 accord has lots of microscratches, which I assume resulted from a car wash service she used a few times that dried with cotton terry towels. Now I`m going to be washing it from now on and using the proper materials...but first, I want to try and reduce these scratches.

What is the best product for removing microscratches by hand without using a PC or other power tool? I`ve been eyeing Meguiars Scratch-X, but wondering if that might be too aggresive. These scratches are very fine, and only really show up in direct sunlight. Will most likely finish off by waxing with Meg #6.

Thanks,

Mitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Locally, you may want to consider Megs Swirl Free polish. Over the internet Einszett Metallic Polish or Poorboys Professional Polish work well with minor scratches. All this can be done by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. So, you say #82 SFP can be applied by hand without a PC? If so, would a foam pad be better than a mf one for application? I already have several mf pads, but wonder if the foam ones would give me more "bite".

Also, is this product only at professional detail supply shops?

Would you recommend this over #9 swirl remover?

Thanks again,

Mitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia Mitch. I would actually use a fine terry cloth for extra bite. You will probably have to call your local auto body suppliers to order SFP locally.

I would apply SFP after #9. Do yourself a favor and buy a PC. It will make your detailing alot easier. Good luck....Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Mitch,

SFP can definitely be used by hand. Obviously, it`s much more work than using a Porter Cable DA. No. 9 is also fine as well.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve found only positive things with 3m imperial hand glaze. it`s just that - a hand glaze. no buffer required, though when the paint get`s a little "dry", it`s hard to buff off without a lot of elbow grease.

it seems to be a very mild glaze that will handle the common microscratches. if you have deep ones, i guess you`ll have to resort to a compound. other than that, just add a few drips to your applicator and apply evenly till dry. then immediately buff off. once fully applied and buffed, apply a wax to seal.

3m imperial hand glaze gets :up :up from me.

kepani
    2008 Honda Fit Sport

2001 Acura Integra Type-R #1053

CORNER3 garage

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep IHG on hand, and I like it for some jobs. But note that it does NOT actually *remove* marring, it just fills it in with oils/solvents. It`s nonabrasive (check the ingredients ). The Meg`s #6 that mgates will be using will remove those fillers, making the scratches "reappear". I`d stick with the Meg`s polishes under discussion.

As I recall, the #82 SFP is a LITTLE more aggressive than the #9 and #82 is designed for use on clearcoats. Not that the #9 won`t work fine.

Though if *I* were working by hand, I`d order up some 1Z polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    which of the 1Z would be best? Metallic, PP, UP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mgates which of the 1Z would be best? Metallic, PP, UP?
    Especially by hand, I`d suggest the PP, optionally followed by the MP since you have a black car and this is Autopia ...

I just polished my 4-month old Carbon Gray (Graphite) Acura TSX to remove micro-scratches, with a newly purchased PC -- it took 1Z PP to affect them at all. I followed with the MP, although the finish looked and felt fabulous after just the PP.

Thread Information