Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been some searching on the board and I believe it`s the general consensus that using the foaming brush at the DIY wash bay is a bad thing. I`m not even go to mention how long I`ve been doing this, I`m careful to spray the brush with the high-pressure hose before using it though.

I`m 23 and not a homeowner yet, thus I rent an apartment and don`t have a driveway to wash my car in, so the wash bay is my only and frequent alternative. I don`t feel that just using the high-pressure hose alone gets the car clean enough. What else can I do if the brush is not recommended?

Thanks in advance

Marcus

:bounce
    1995 SC300 5MT

Post Thanks / Like
    Protect All Quick and Easy Wash. On the board it is called QEW. If you do a search on "QEW" you will find a ton of information. But to sum it all up, it is very good.

QEW Tutorial

Post Thanks / Like
    bring a mitt or whatever and use that. Heck of a lot better than the brush. If anybody says anything just remind them that you are paying for the use of the bay whether or not you use the brush or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    :up

I thought about it and was just about to post that too. Go during off peak times and it shouldn`t be a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    what I usually do is bring a bucket and some car wash soap, fill the bucket with water and hose the car with very low non direct pressure. Except the wheel wells and tires, but not the wheels. Of course, you could start using this methid once youve fixed all of the scratches your car must have by now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always went when it was not busy (late at night) and took a wash mit... I soaped the car down and let the time run out then wipe the entire car down with my mit. Then feed the machine again and rinse the car down. Worked very well for me.
    2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by gb387

I always went when it was not busy (late at night) and took a wash mit... I soaped the car down and let the time run out then wipe the entire car down with my mit. Then feed the machine again and rinse the car down. Worked very well for me.

I`ll buy a mitt and give this a try and I`ll also look into QEW. I saw people frequently referring to it on the board, now I know what it means.:xyxthumbs
    1995 SC300 5MT

Post Thanks / Like
    I bucket-washed in coin op joints for many years. Really, its no different than washing a car in your driveway except that you need a lot of quarters. During good weather you usually can wash whenever you want but in winter its best to wash when its not busy so you don`t tick off others. QEW is fine when your car isn`t super dirty but a regular wash is great to remove road salt and other crud during winter driving.

As for what to use and how to use it, just use the high pressure rinse setting and all your regular car washing stuff. There`s no need to use the potentially harsh soaps used at commercial car washes. Also its a good idea to buy a water blade to make removing the 10 zillions water beads easier. Look for a place to park away from trees and other people so you have some elbow room and no new messes.

You`ll develop a quick wash method after a few trips to the coin op which will get your car clean and save you some $$.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    :nono I also thought spraying the brush got rid of all the nasty stuff. I can`t believe I used that thing one winter. They scrub the floors with it! People scrub out rusted out truck frames, wheels, and the undersides of their vehicle. Horrible thing to watch, especially when you see the middle age guys in there brand new Chevy/Ford Trucks and Suburban’s scrubbing as hard as they can! Scary stuff! I always bring a Chenille sponge, two buckets, NXT Wash and a good Chamois. Then I make sure to shut the door because people start to flip out after watching you wash by hand for 20 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    bretfraz & mxman: Can you both describe your bucket washing technique? Thanks.
    1995 SC300 5MT

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you guys go to fill your bucket up with water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bboy850

Where do you guys go to fill your bucket up with water?

Ummm.... at the car wash, from the spray wand..... :headslap:

Originally posted by Technics

bretfraz & mxman: Can you both describe your bucket washing technique? Thanks.

Its really no different than what you`d do at home. You`ll end up doing it quicker than you might normally would just so you can save on quarters. I used two buckets, one with soap in it and the other with plain water to rinse the mitts. Rinse thoroughly, start at the top, wash a small section then rinse, when you get to the lower sections change mitts, do the wheels and tires last.

Just remember to keep pumping quarters in the machine. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I go to a spray bay and bring my car wash items

I use the rinse water and fill my rinse bucket then the soap bucket

I then rinse the car with the remaining time.

I then go around panel by panel rinsing the mitt out as necessary and wash the car

I then use the rinse again to rinse the car off, with the remaining time I empty my buckets and clean them out/off

The car wash by me has a final rinse, and too keep marring down I usually wont dry it. I go at off peek hours so its either dawn or dusk. By time I get back its usually dry and I havent noticed any spotting if you do your final rinsing on the final rinse option. I do the initial rinse with the standard high pressure rinse. If I am at home and not at school and working in the driveway, or preparing to do something additional as far as detailing the car I will dry it fully with a WW mf towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

Ummm.... at the car wash, from the spray wand..... :headslap:

Its really no different than what you`d do at home. You`ll end up doing it quicker than you might normally would just so you can save on quarters. I used two buckets, one with soap in it and the other with plain water to rinse the mitts. Rinse thoroughly, start at the top, wash a small section then rinse, when you get to the lower sections change mitts, do the wheels and tires last.

Just remember to keep pumping quarters in the machine. ;-)

Thanks you guys are great. I just came back from the wash and you`re going to be upset with me. I did use a mitt this time but I used the soap from the high-pressure hose for washing. I applied NXT last week and while I can tell it`s still there, it seems like that soap did strip some of it off. I`ll use your two-bucket method from now on and pick up some of my own detergent. Any recommendations?
    1995 SC300 5MT

Post Thanks / Like
    bretfraz: Thanks for the slap, I needed it this morning to wake me up!

The high pressure water coming out of the hose blew my pail away the last time I went to the coin-op. There`s only one setting! HIGH PRESSURE! :bounce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information