waited an hour

#16 again

Mazda:

Dawn/Clay

#9 yellow Pad

#16 by hand

waited an hour

#16 again

After I was done, BOTH vehicles looked/felt amazing. However, yesterday I washed the Jeep and the paint felt rough and not very slick. I was planning on doing another coat of #16, so I AIOd it, again, and applied #16. I figured I would be able to skip the AIO but the paint was too rough. Wrote it off as not applying correctly or not waiting long enough for it to "set?" About 20 mins. after the whole car was done.

Today, I did the Mazda and the same thing happened, paint was rough and not slick.

It rained last week and during the rain the paint beaded awesome and during both washes the paint had tremendous beading....so what gives??

Thanks for the time and help
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe try claying first?:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I have #16 on my vehicle and it feels rather slick after I wash and QD it. Did you try a QD?

Maybe you`re being a bit too picky? (just kidding)

I`m no sure why it`s doing that especially since you clayed and cleaned the paint with AIO. :nixweiss

You may want to ask around about layering #16. I`m not sure if it helps. I could have sworn I read that here - that`s why I don`t use a second coat.

Maybe an issue with the chemical makeup of both the AIO and #16 not liking one another? I have no idea.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    The pollen has been rediculous recently. Is it possible some pollen got bonded to the finish with the rain this week.
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

The pollen has been rediculous recently. Is it possible some pollen got bonded to the finish with the rain this week.

Bingo IMHO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Spilchy that maybe AIO is not interacting with #16. Maybe you should try a different polish. :nixweiss

The combo I`m going to use on Monday on a customer and my own vehicle is: 1Z Metallic Polish, NXT, #16.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Spilchy

Maybe an issue with the chemical makeup of both the AIO and #16 not liking one another? I have no idea.

That`s why I tried #9 on the Mazda and AIO on the Jeep....

Good idea with the pollen... Anythign I can do to prevent another outbreak.....

Thanks for the help
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ajbarnes

I agree with Spilchy that maybe AIO is not interacting with #16. Maybe you should try a different polish. :nixweiss

The combo I`m going to use on Monday on a customer and my own vehicle is: 1Z Metallic Polish, NXT, #16.

That`s a sick combo for cars with a good finish. I did that on a new M5. AWESOME!
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    SouthernZ71- Weird, sorry to hear about your suddenly rough paint. I haven`t experienced that; my #16`ed cars hold up very well, and that`s parked outside under trees and getting so covered with pollen that they look yellowish-green.

Never had a problem with AIO/#16 either

As Nozebleedspeed said, maybe you somehow did something to it when you washed, but then #16 holds up great for me THERE, too

Sorry, no good ideas here...your experience is just SO different from any of mine with that product. No matter how I treat it, #16 always lasts a pretty long time.

Gotta be either the pollen or the wash.

Next time, maybe try a coat of SG before the #16...that combo ALWAYS works great for me.

As far as "layering" #16 goes, if you want to try, apply the subsequent coats about a week apart. It SEEMS to give more than an extra week`s worth of protection. Doing them on the same day doesn`t seem to do anything except ensure that you didn`t miss a spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

As far as "layering" #16 goes, if you want to try, apply the subsequent coats about a week apart. It SEEMS to give more than an extra week`s worth of protection. Doing them on the same day doesn`t seem to do anything except ensure that you didn`t miss a spot.

Thanks! I`m not sure what I did. Like I said, I AIOd, again, then #16 so we`ll see if I did something wrong the first time. Right now the paint is so slick and nice, I love it......

As you stated above, that`s why I did the 2nd coat for coverage. Then I did wait a week for the "3rd" coat to see if "layering" did anything extra and now this.

trial and error.....
    2005 Cummins 4x4 6sp

2002 4.7 WJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I applied a second layer of #16 about 3 weeks after the first layer and it is holding up very well. I`d wait more than an hour to put on another coat of carnauba, no matter what brand.

The problem may have to do with tree sap and pollen or washing technique. Can`t think of anything else. :nixweiss
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information