My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be detailing my fathers S80 in a couple weeks. Will I need to use leather products for the seats or vinyl/coated leather products (like 303)?

Anyone have experience with this car? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    One way to test is to put a few drops of water on it and see if it beads up or is absorbed into the leather. If it beads up it`s probly coated if it`s absorbed it a grain leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, that was my last ditch resort, I`m hoping to know before I go there so I know what products to bring with me. (he lives 500 miles away)
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: 2002 Volvo S80 - real leather seats or coated?

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Later model Volvos (Ford) are utilizing coated leather.

Coated Leather: leather made from natural hides, but uniquely treated with a light pigmented urethane coating to make it more suitable for automotive seating. It retains the softness of natural top-grain leather but resists fading in direct sunlight. Spills wipe off with a moist cloth, retains the aura of natural leather without its sensitivity to light and abuse. Clean / condition / UV protect as above

a) Cleaning- apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite or Dreft 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). Gently agitate the surface with a boar’s hair cleaning brush. This removes stubborn grime and will not harm the leather. Use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse the leather.

b) Maintenance- recommend a preventative maintenance "face lift" three to four times a year, once prior to the winter season to prevent cold crack of leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage of heat which result in continued cracking of leather. In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils; Collagen-based products restore the lost moisture and maintain it’s natural flexibility. (The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide. Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer (northern climates between 90-120 days), use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. Groit’s leather cleaner is a good maintenance product

c) UV Protection- you should consider additional sunscreen protection (especially if you own a convertible) Leather conditioners typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to alternate between a leather conditioner and 303 Aerospace Protect rant. One month use a conditioner to keep the leather healthy and supple. On alternate months mist and wipe the leather with 303 protectant to add UV protection. After application allow an hour for product to cure, then using a 100% cotton cloth lightly buff surface.

~Hope this is of some help~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I thought coated leather gets treated like vinyl though? i.e. leather cleaners/conditioners cannot penetrate the coating to the actual leather itself?
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The coating is usually urathene, and just like clear coat requires thr oils to be replaced,the oils found in leather cleaners will penetrate coated leather otherwise the leather would fade/crack.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, I`ll use my 4 star leather twins on it. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad`s 1998 S70 is coated, I`d suspect the S80 is as well. I`ve use lexol cleaner and conditioner with success as well as diluted woolite to clean.

Michael

Thread Information