Post Thanks / Like
    I just got my car back from the body shop...

Before:

After:

They did a perfect job. If you remember my post from about a month ago complaining about rock chips on the front of the BMW (which have only gotten worse), the shop did agree to strip it and respray it at no charge. Wagonwork surely made up for their mistake with the BMW this time with my Audi.

I also did not let them wash the car after they got done painting it, and I took it home and washed it myself, and I am happy to say the fresh paint has no swirls in it, so it was worth it.

Now, I bought some 3M IHG a few weeks ago. I decided first to test it on my trunk lid, and I`m glad I did. I put a little on my new 7.5" Advance Foam Pad from CMA (really nice BTW, much better than the standard 6.5" pads) and I applied it and worked it in, but when it came time to buff it off, it just was awful! I really had to rub and buff. Because of this, I decided not to put any glaze on the fresh paint.

Have you guys had this much trouble removing IHG before?? The Mothers Sealer & Glaze removes much easier. I believe I can use that on fresh paint also, correct?

And my final question, I remember reading using a Swirl Mark Remover and Glaze every time you wash the car on the fresh paint is what should be done to maintain it. However, they said I could wax in 30 days, so I was wondering, would I hurt anything by just leaving it alone for 30 days and then after that give it a good polishing and waxing? Seems to me like I am wasting my time glazing it every week considering it just washes right off and doesn`t really provide any real protection.

Thanks!

- Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    IHG can be tough to remove which is why I switched to Meguiars Hand Polish and Machine Glaze. Both products are very easy to use.

I would use either one each week an finish off with a QD. That is what I did when I had the front of my Accord repainted after an accident.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    They did a GREAT job

I`ll have to remember them...

Post Thanks / Like
    adg44- Glad to hear the repair turned out so well! Some people find the IHG easy to use, some don`t. You know how I`m "Mr. do-everything-by-machine"? Well, I do IHG by hand. It works so well that Accumulatorette doesn`t mind helping out. Maybe try applying it (sparingly) with a MF, buffing off with a MF too. Or just go to the Meg`s #81 or #3 (which work fine by hand or PC).

Oh, it occurs to me that if you tried the IHG on the trunk lid, maybe it had some protection on it. That would make for more trouble than just using it over bare/fresh paint.

For fresh paint, besides the IHG and #81/#3, *I* like to use Meg`s #80. It has a little cut and can help remove any marring and smooth the finish, but not TOO MUCH (it`s *not* too aggressive). It also leaves behind some fresh-paint-safe polymer protection. So you have a few different Meg`s options, all of which work well.

But *I* would just try the IHG, since you`re not doing the whole car. I don`t remember about the Mother`s but I *THINK* it`s safe for fresh paint.

IMO it always pays to use SOMETHING on fresh paint, it provides at least a minimal "sacrificial layer". You sure don`t want anything messing it up. Especially back there behind your rear wheels; I wouldn`t want the sort of stuff that gets tossed up lingering on fresh bare paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    :up flawless repair.....its so hard to find body shops that understand that we it perferct...not near perfect.:p

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

adg44- Glad to hear the repair turned out so well! Some people find the IHG easy to use, some don`t. You know how I`m "Mr. do-everything-by-machine"? Well, I do IHG by hand. It works so well that Accumulatorette doesn`t mind helping out. Maybe try applying it (sparingly) with a MF, buffing off with a MF too. Or just go to the Meg`s #81 or #3 (which work fine by hand or PC).

Oh, it occurs to me that if you tried the IHG on the trunk lid, maybe it had some protection on it. That would make for more trouble than just using it over bare/fresh paint.

I forgot to say that I first did 3M SMR for light colored cars before the IHG, because the car sat at the shop for TWO WEEKS and picked up some water spots, but they did a perfect job so I can`t complain!

For fresh paint, besides the IHG and #81/#3, *I* like to use Meg`s #80. It has a little cut and can help remove any marring and smooth the finish, but not TOO MUCH (it`s *not* too aggressive). It also leaves behind some fresh-paint-safe polymer protection. So you have a few different Meg`s options, all of which work well.

But *I* would just try the IHG, since you`re not doing the whole car. I don`t remember about the Mother`s but I *THINK* it`s safe for fresh paint.

Actually, I remember using the Mothers Sealer & Glaze on the BMW after the door was resprayed. I am now 99% sure that Forrest told me it was safe to use, otherwise I wouldn`t have used it.

What is the description of the #80? That`s not Swirl Free Polish, is it? I usually stick to 3M Products....

IMO it always pays to use SOMETHING on fresh paint, it provides at least a minimal "sacrificial layer". You sure don`t want anything messing it up. Especially back there behind your rear wheels; I wouldn`t want the sort of stuff that gets tossed up lingering on fresh bare paint.

Yeah... when the door on our BMW was resprayed I did SMR and Glaze, but that`s because I had some swirls to remove compliments of their wash bay.

I`ll give the IHG another try, but I`m thinking I`m going to use the Mothers glaze again, which was half the cost mind you.

- Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and just so you guys don`t think I drive a monster truck Audi....

In the second pic, I have the front wheel off and the car jacked up (see the floor jack in the right side of the picture).

Just thought I would clarify.

Post Thanks / Like
    adg44- Well, if you`re using something you like (the Mother`s), no reason to change. I never worry about mastering products that don`t work for *me* and you`re not the only person who finds IHG problematic.

The #80 is Speed Glaze. It has different abrasives than the Swirl Free and leaves behind more protection. I don`t use all that many Meg`s polishes very often (preferring the 3M and 1Z stuff), but it`s working well.

Heh heh, Monster Truck Audi.

Thread Information