Post Thanks / Like
    My car sits outside 24-7 due to not have a garage. The trees around my house produce a massive amount of pollen that covers my car. I clayed my car a week ago and applied a fresh coat of s100. The next morning it was covered in pollen. I waited a few days and of couse it got worse and worse so i finnaly decided to wash it. While washing did remove some of it the surface was full of grit that was stuck to my few day old freshly waxed paint. The only way to remove it is by claying.

Here is my question and what would like some advice on. Should i rinse my car off every morning to remove the layers of pollen? I know this will cause water spots to some degree. Do you think this would be worse then letting it sit on the paint? I`m still suprised this stuff doesn`t come off through washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a pretty good question. I am really suprised that the wash didn`t rid the paint of the pollen. I would probably advise against rinsing it off because if the wash solution didn`t remove the pollen, a light rinse probably isn`t going to either and just make it more embedded in there. As for right now, I guess my approach would be to remove the S100 and then apply a sealant like Klasse whose dust attraction is very minimal. S100 isn`t that bad and probably the least dust attractor of carnaubas, but sealants especially Klasse attract almost no dust. Or you could just wait it out and the pollen should be down here in about a month? Good question though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d say that you will not be able to get all the pollen off. Once the sun rises and the day heats up, I would guess that the pollen/water mixture would weld itself to your paint firmer than pollen alone would.

I would suggest using a california car duster.. but there are just as many people on this board opposed to using one as there are that support it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah Spring, how lovely! It`s here and so begins the pollen battle. (If it wasn`t for the pollen this would be a great time of the year!) However, I`m one of those unfortunates who needs allergy shots and antihistimes just to breathe!!!

And the car, well , my blue Acura shows every grain! My solution has been, like many here on the forum, to first use the California Duster and then a QD and MF towel. If you`re talking about sap from the tree, well that`s a different story, but the above method works well for removing pollen.

The Duster, QD and MF towels are standard fare for my trunk!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess i`ll just deal with it untill the pollen goes away. Might as well wait to clay and do a full detail . . Such wonderful weather too..

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh, another few weeks and then the pollen will hit full force up here in VA!

It really does suck..... Luckilly for me my new job has a brand new parking garage.

Patrick
    Mantic, it sounds like your sealing with some sap as well.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered a car cover? It only takes a minute or two to put on and take off. Can add the cable and lock if you`re worried about thief.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in NY I haven`t even gotten to the pollen stage. I say invest in a car cover to cut down the amount of build up over night and when you get home just give her a quick rinse before covering.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the BMW cover that came with the car. I tried using it a while back but i always ended up having to use the car later and it became a PITA putting on and removing all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having just recently moved from the Sierra where there is a huge amount of oak pollen I found that using Zaino or Klasse made dealing with the pollen easier than using a carnauba during the Spring pollen season. Much like dealing with brake dust.
    <B>OCD</B> sufferer and charter member of the
    <B>A</B>nal <B>R</B>etentive <B>Z</B>3 <B>O</B>wners <B>A</B>ssociation

Post Thanks / Like
    pollen is a weather condition down here. . .

mild count is about 50~60, right? and extreme is ~150?

we go through straight weeks of counts around 2000, and last week we had one in the 5000. highest record, ever.

perhaps we should try to come up with a care solution. . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, once I have clayed I always polish and seal (usually AIO and SG).

At the very least I would recommend that once claying seal the car with an appropriate product, as some have said the sealant should attract less dust. It should also make it easier to get the pollen off the paint.

You could also try moving your car to a different position, I find that if I park my car directly under a tree it always gathers more sap etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a bit confused with this.......

I assumed pollen was the green dust that you get in the spring from trees etc..... It isn`t sticky but it does coat everything and turns it green. Tree sap is the sticky stuff that regularly falls from trees and this stuff is like glue. It drops down in small droplets and makes your paint feel rough. Ocassionaly it can be remove with a good wash but typically it requires clay.

If it`s pollen you`re having trouble with I`d suggest using a leaf blower or an air compressor with nozzle to blow the pollen off. It works like a charm and gets the pollen out of the cracks too. You can remove what is left with an MF and your favorite QD.
    Afshin

90 Porsche 928 GT - Marine Blue

09 MazdaSpeed3 - Metropolitan Gray Mica

04 Honda Pilot - Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is back from the dead. The pollen is goine now .

Thread Information