it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to know how do 1Z PP, Poorboys SSR3 and DACP compare in strenght? You see I detailed my truck and a focus the past 2 weeks and was a little disappointed with 1Z PP. I though it would have removed the swirls a little better. All the work was done by a hand with a terry applicator. I`m now wondering if I should bump it up a level with maybe Poorboys SSR3 or DACP. Im going to using these products by hand, and any advice or input on which one is strongest and best for my situation? I`m also curious can someone working with hand actually "remove" the swirls or will they only be filled for a temporary time period? I remember reading COBRyan having problems with a black z06. He used DACP, SFP, VM, and CMW and the owner had problems with swirls in no time. I`m wondering if this will happen with me. I`m still learning and no where as near as experienced as you guys so any help is appreciated. I`m starting to get some detail jobs on the side which is really cool. Since i`m charging people, I kinda wanna be able to reduce the swirls the best I can. I certainly don`t wont people to be dissatsifed with my work a week later, especially since im trying to get my name out to people and bad business would only hurt. Thanks in Advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JohnnyDaJackal

I`d like to know how do 1Z PP, Poorboys SSR3 and DACP compare in strenght? You see I detailed my truck and a focus the past 2 weeks and was a little disappointed with 1Z PP. I though it would have removed the swirls a little better. All the work was done by a hand with a terry applicator. I`m now wondering if I should bump it up a level with maybe Poorboys SSR3 or DACP. Im going to using these products by hand, and any advice or input on which one is strongest and best for my situation? I`m also curious can someone working with hand actually "remove" the swirls or will they only be filled for a temporary time period? I remember reading COBRyan having problems with a black z06. He used DACP, SFP, VM, and CMW and the owner had problems with swirls in no time. I`m wondering if this will happen with me. I`m still learning and no where as near as experienced as you guys so any help is appreciated. I`m starting to get some detail jobs on the side which is really cool. Since i`m charging people, I kinda wanna be able to reduce the swirls the best I can. I certainly don`t wont people to be dissatsifed with my work a week later, especially since im trying to get my name out to people and bad business would only hurt. Thanks in Advance!

IMO, it`s impossible to get a perfect finish by hand. Sure, you can make a big dent on terrible finishes, but once you hit a point, you`ll spend hour after hour and get little progress. A way to see if you truly removed the swirls is by flushing it with isopropyl alcohol and water. If they come back, the oils in the abrasive were filling it.

1Z PP is mildest, followed by DACP, and then SSR3. Rather than buying all these products, I`d get a PC instead. At $150 for a complete kit, it`s worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the PC advice. Just used mine for the first time today and it makes a huge difference. Definately a great investment.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which PC are you guys referring to? the dual action(7424, 7335) or the rotary one(7428)??? Also where is the PC complete kit 150 bw can you post a link for me. One more question why does in the review of the PC 7424 under the description it say "This polisher is not designed for heavy compounding and will not do well removing swirls or paint imperfections."???? If im gonna invest in the PC, my main concern is that it removes the swirls. Is the only way this possible by rotary or have people have success wit taking out swirls with the PC 7424,7335?

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way to truly REMOVE swirls is to use a rotary. Dual Action polishers do make them much less noticable with the right polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by membim

The only way to truly REMOVE swirls is to use a rotary. Dual Action polishers do make them much less noticable with the right polishes.

I`ll have to jump in and agrgue that one.. I just finished up my B5.5 ( black ) using a PC and DACP/IP/FP and came up swirl free. Don`t get me wrong it was work and I used the least agressive first then stepped up where needed using the appropriate pads.

You may not remove deep swirls induced by washing the car with a dirty brush but normal swirls are doable.

I do have some very light scratches that a rotary might work on but they are so minor now you have to look for them.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JohnnyDaJackal

Which PC are you guys referring to? the dual action(7424, 7335) or the rotary one(7428)??? Also where is the PC complete kit 150 bw can you post a link for me. One more question why does in the review of the PC 7424 under the description it say "This polisher is not designed for heavy compounding and will not do well removing swirls or paint imperfections."???? If im gonna invest in the PC, my main concern is that it removes the swirls. Is the only way this possible by rotary or have people have success wit taking out swirls with the PC 7424,7335?

Coastal tool has the 7424 c/w velcro backing plate for $119 and there is numerous specials out there for the required pads.

I just removed a winters worth of swirls from a black B5.5 with the pc.

Here is the side I was working on a couple days ago

Reflection
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    What can be done by hand/PC depends on the paint, the marring, and the detailer. There are simply no hard-and-fast rules that cover every situation. Scottwax does some pretty incredible work by hand; he REMOVES marring on all kinds of vehicles.

I can work the Jag`s lacquer just fine by hand, but on the Audis, I have to use a rotary to remove any significant marring. And 99% of surface prep is somewhere in between those two examples.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, can the rotary do the same job and more than the orbital can? Is the rotary for only people are are experienced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bioman

So, can the rotary do the same job and more than the orbital can? Is the rotary for only people are are experienced?

Yes and yes (especially about the "experienced" part). But sometimes the rotary leaves "holograms" that you need the PC to remove anyhow. So it`s not like a rotary makes the PC redundant/unnecessary. If you don`t NEED a rotary, then you don`t need it. But if you DO need it, you will probably still need the PC.

MOST people can get by just fine with just the PC, IMO.

Thread Information