97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which one do you do first: clay or use a cleaner of somekind to get rid of scratches? If you clay first, do you wash the vehicle afterwards or do you just go on to the next step?
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay first, then use the cleaner. Claying sometimes causes minor scratches, more noticable on dark colours.

After claying I rinse the car with water, dry and apply the cleaner. It still have smudges from the clay but the cleaner removes those with no problems.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    When you`re working on an heavily oxidized car, you better us a paint cleaner first, or you`ll need some clay bars cause they`ll get too dirty too soon.

After cleaning and claying, you can better evaluate the surface and decide what to do next, SMR or polish or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the paint is heavily oxidised, a paint cleaner is a waste of effort, you need to use a cutting compound instead. After the compound you can then clay. But the paint has to be in very poor shape for this to occur.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    A strong chemical paint cleaner such as Poorboys Pro Polish will remove the loose oxidation well enough that permits you to evaluate the following step.

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    what about meguiars cleaner wax? is that any good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but if you use the cleaner first, won`t it take the top off any any embedded contaminants and then the clay won`t be able to pull them out?
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by butchdave

Yes, but if you use the cleaner first, won`t it take the top off any any embedded contaminants and then the clay won`t be able to pull them out?

Yeah. You don`t want to "smooth" the contaminants over for exactly that reason. So doing any compounding/cleaning before using the clay can cause trouble. You don`t want to do it unless you HAVE to.

UNLESS you`re dealing with severe oxidation on single stage paint, CLAY FIRST. I do plenty of work on ss paint, and I still hardly EVER use a paint cleaner/compound first. It`s really only necessary when you`re dealing with dry, chalky, "dead" paint. The kind that`s :sosad when it`s b/c. I`ve NEVER done a b/c car where I needed to clean/compound before claying, and I`ve done some really neglected ones.

But I do go through a lot of clay sometimes.

Luke667- If you mean the consumer stuff in the burgundy bottle, it`s fair, not great. If you mean the old #6, it`s better. Mother`s makes a good cleaner wax if you want to try one.

Thread Information