Post Thanks / Like
    I just sprayed my alloy rims with Meguiar`s HOT RIMS COOL CARE ALL WHEEL CLEANER. The metal disc (have no idea what this part is called) that is visible behind the hub of rim became discolored. It looks like an instant corrosion or streak brown/orange in color. If I run my finger nail and scrape, it does come off. How do I clean this? First off, it`s impossible for me to stick my hands through the opening. Is there any thing I can spray on it to clean it?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s probably "rust" on the brake rotor. It can happen pretty fast. If rust, it comes off when you apply the brakes a few times. That`s my guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    please correct me if im wrong, but you shouldnt be too concerned about it. Yes, you should avoid getting any cleaner on the rotors, but if you get a little bit on there, nothing bad will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    It happens almost every time I wash my car. Goes away after you drive and brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    stock rotors tend to always have rust on them if they arent zinc plated or have any type of plating on them that prevents rust build up so dont worry about.if its on the surface of the rotor itself then the break pads will wear them down,if its on the hub and if that bothers u alot then the only thing i can say is for u to take it to an auto body and paint shop to have them coated or some shop that does that here in honolulu.
    DBC
    Shininess is next to Godliness

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tropicalbreeze

I just sprayed my alloy rims with Meguiar`s HOT RIMS COOL CARE ALL WHEEL CLEANER. The metal disc (have no idea what this part is called) that is visible behind the hub of rim became discolored. It looks like an instant corrosion or streak brown/orange in color. If I run my finger nail and scrape, it does come off. How do I clean this? First off, it`s impossible for me to stick my hands through the opening. Is there any thing I can spray on it to clean it?

Although the discoloration has disappeared, I think this is the thingy I was talking about http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5856

Hope you don`t mind Mantic6t9. Thanks
    2004 BMW 330Cic Convertible (Silver)

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: The metal disc (have no idea what this part is called) that is visible behind the hub of rim became discoloured. It looks like an instant corrosion or streak brown/orange in colour.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The ‘corrosion or streak brown / orange’ is brake dust, the round disc is a rotor. Try spraying the rotor with P21S 100% Acid Free Wheel Cleaner, this should remove it. If you want to further detail the rotors you will either need to remove the wheel (s) or buy a brush made for limited access areas (i.e.Griot’s Three Wheel Scrubber Brush p/t # 15220 US $10 www.griotsgarage.com)

~Hope this is of some help~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tropicalbreeze

The metal disc (have no idea what this part is called)

Are you serious??

Thread Information