Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone,

I`m new here. Lots of good info available. I bought my car about a year and a half ago. A year ago, I had a company apply the "Beauty-Gard" paint sealant and rust proofing undercoating to my car. I`m pretty happy with the results. Water still beads up after a year of no maintenance.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Should I be polishing / waxing still? I do have some "microscratches" in the paint. Will polish still work on top of the product already there?

I have no idea how to remove this treatment to go back to polishing/waxing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fleet

Post Thanks / Like
    I see no one knows what I`m talking about. Here`s another question, then. After getting this treatment done, I have been in an accident and had the front and rear bumpers repainted. Is it worth getting the treatment reapplied? If I should be polishing/waxing, please let me know!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Fleet, welcome to Autopia :welcome

Sorry no one`s replied to this.... :nixweiss

No one probably has experience with this particular package, but there are so many of these things.

To answer your questions...

No, if you really want to adhere to the terms of using paint sealant packages, you really shouldn`t be doing much of anything to it. Waxing or polishing will very likely remove the coating.

Yes, you can polish the swirls/scratches out yourself, but keep in mind that this will remove the sealant, meaning that you will have to apply a wax of your own, or have it re-applied (this being Autopia we tend to discourage this type of thing ).

Using almost any polish or pre-wax cleaner in the course of dealing with those swirls should remove the coating. Some retail-level waxes, which are mostly cleaner waxes, may do this too, but it depends on the individual product.

Whether to get the treatment re-applied is up to you, but the general view here is that paint sealant packages offer poor value and are actually something you can do and apply yourself. Usually these packages are a simple polish and applying of a polymer sealant type product, and if there is a multi-year warranty with it, some strict terms (usually including return "touchup" visits) can apply.

These probably aren`t the best threads I`ve read about this subject, but here are some to give you an idea:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...ealer+warranty

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...+applied+paint

(this last one sums a lot of it up)

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you mean you only got this protection to your undercarrage then you`s paint was not protected at all. They simply spray this in odd areas like the undercarrage and underside of your trunk. We had this done to our Civic. The actual outside body panels were not affected at all. A good thing for protecting your car is "NU Finish" it lasts a whole year and this will keep your paint from oxidizing which will prevent the hard job of claying your entire car.
    metload1

Post Thanks / Like
    oh whoops I just read paing sealant AND rust proofing...

Sorry
    metload1

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good thing for protecting your car is "NU Finish" it lasts a whole year and this will keep your paint from oxidizing which will prevent the hard job of claying your entire car.

:nono

This stuff is very harsh on paint.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate the links to those threads. I found a couple of them with "search" before I posted, but there was some new info there.

I found the paperwork that came with this "Beauty-Gard" treatment. I`m typing it in here for your amusement / interest:

--------------------------------

Beauty-Gard "Super Gloss" Paint Preservative - High Tech, "Swirl Free" Auto Show Lustre and Brilliance! - ELIMINATE WAXING...enjoy a gorgeous, durable "WET LOOK SHINE" that resembles the finest bone china. Beauty-Gard`s paint preservative glaze is not an organic wax - instead, a space age, high molecular weight blend of polymers. This product is enriched by the addition of Dupont Teflon and the presence of anti-oxidant sun-screen additives - ultra violet rays (damaging-sun) are held "in check." Application is carefully done by hand. The sealant is carefully buffed into the painted surface with special (heat-free) foam polishing pads to eliminate swirls and circles. This beautiful, chemically bonded, micro-thin layer of protection is totally compatible with all factory paint finishes. Beauty-Gard sealant preservative provides special protection from BLEACHING SUN, BITING ACID RAIN, HARSH DETERGENTS, CORROSIVE ROAD SALTS, ACIDIC STAINS AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUNTS.

- No reapplication ("TV rustproofers sell silicone/wax "system which requires "comeback")

- Oxidation eliminated - contains anti-oxidant "sunscreens" - to filter out the harmful, drying ultraviolet rays of the sun

- Base coat/clearcoat compatibility - no swirls - no circles - especially dark colors

- No loss of gloss, yellowing, chalking, fading, bleaching or dulling of paint

- Tested two hundred consecutive washes - through brutal brushes and harsh detergents

- 4 year written guarantee - proven!! We pioneered this industry 15 years ago! (Over 5 million satisfied customers)

- Will NOT alter the chemical or physical properties of paint - FACTORY TESTED!

Once treated with this superior Beauty-Gard coating, your vehicle will clean up like magic. Road film and gummy surface pollutants wash off easily with mild soap. This is the finest topical coating in the industry...the only way you`ll know it`s therei s by the incomparable deep lustre and brilliance provided by this exceptional treatment. Avoid the risks associated with conventional waxing. Modern day paint finishes demand modern day protection.

------------------------------

Unfortunately, now I am interested in getting a PC and maintaining my car`s appearance. It looks like I`m out of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    it`s my perception that people pay the dealer for the lifetime sealants `cause they don`t want to deal with the grind of keeping a finish perfect or at least looking real good. Most of us share the sentiment that "lifetime" products don`t exist.

OTOH, you can keep your car looking very good with nothing more than a weekly hand washing (1/2 hour of time).

If you are looking to take things to the next step and are having concerns about why your paint is loosing its slickness, that may explain why you`ve landed at Autopia. With a very broad selection of modern/excellent products, you can elect to keep things very simple and just wax 2X per year and have great results.

Good luck on your mission!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tom p.

OTOH, you can keep your car looking very good with nothing more than a weekly hand washing (1/2 hour of time).

Very true. If you had good wash method and materials you can probably maintain a good finish for a very long time with a product like this.

The only problem is, if you`re interested in keeping your finish top-notch all (or at least most) of the time, the whole concept of permanent paint sealants isn`t compatible with this. Unless you go in for regular "touch-up sessions" (usually a polish and reapplication) they are not going to stop fallout and contamination that needs claying, and won`t prevent swirls from occuring either.

They`re really geared towards people who don`t want to worry at all with paint care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info everybody! As an update, I tracked down the company in Detroit, and they apologized for not keeping me informed. They honored their warranty and reapplied the paint protectant over the weekend.

My Envoy is really looking good right now. But, I want to maintain this look. I am thinking of waxing on top of the paint sealant. What type of product should I use?

My thoughts are that I will use this sealant as any other paint sealant and just wax on top of it, and maintain the wax 3-4 times a year.

Thanks for your input!

Post Thanks / Like
    We would only be guessing to suggest what other products are compatible with "Beauty-Gard". I might just leave things alone and just keep the vehicle clean with regular weekly washings - - this is the basis for keeping any vehicle looking its best.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by metload1

If you mean you only got this protection to your undercarrage then you`s paint was not protected at all. They simply spray this in odd areas like the undercarrage and underside of your trunk. We had this done to our Civic. The actual outside body panels were not affected at all. A good thing for protecting your car is "NU Finish" it lasts a whole year and this will keep your paint from oxidizing which will prevent the hard job of claying your entire car.

IMO Nu Finish is NOT a good thing for protecting your finish and claying is not a hard job.

Claying is quite easy, even for me and I`m old and amatuerish, and claying is what is needed to get a good finish.

There are lots of excellent sealants on the market. Klasse, Zaino, UPP, Poorboys. I`ve tried them and I like Poorboys EX-P. It`s easy to apply with no need for expensive polishers. If you want to get the swirls out you`ll need an abrasive product, I like Poorboys SSR`s (Super Swirl Removers) and the swirls will be hard to get out by hand...but you can do it with patience.

The "special" coatings sold by car dealers are, imo and in my experience, not a good deal. They are usually just an application of a sealant, like those listed above, which you could easily do yourself. I recommend www.poorboysworld.com
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some reasonable experience with the lifetime paint sealant products.

Some of them are really great polymer protectants; we use one called AutoGuard that does an excellent job of protecting our inventory against acid rain and snow; our dealership is in Hazleton, PA, the heart of anthracite country, where people still burn coal for heat in the winter. Before we started using paint sealants on the cars, we would get acid snow burns right down to bare metal sometimes, on cars that sat for half a year. We look for the sealant to keep the paint from marring for about 90 to 120 days, with little to no care. Most cars sell within that time period.

But what I`ve found is, the best protecting sealants don`t look that great; they are kind of plasticky and give the cars a bluish tint. The ones that look great don`t protect as well nor last as long.

We apply the product to the inventory without charge to the customers; we do it because it works. But we aren`t promising it to last a lifetime... actually we don`t promise anything, we don`t even tell them it`s there.

My advice is to get some Meg`s #20 and apply it yourself whenever you feel like waxing. It goes on really easy, looks really nice, and protects well. There are better protectants overall, but this is one that delivers a high price-to-value ratio and is easy to find.

Tom

Thread Information