Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished claying my silver `99 Honda Accord coupe... Don`t even ask how long it took!

It`s beautiful... Visually, there`s not much of a difference, but I can`t tell you how many times I`ve run my hand along the smooooth body.

When I get home today, I plan to wash and polish and wax. However my supplies are limited. I have Meguiar`s Step 2 polish and then the Step 3 wax, as well as "#7 show car glaze". I`ve heard mixed reviews about the #7. Should I use it? If so, before or after polish? I also have turtle cleaner wax, mother`s cleaner wax, but I probably shouldn`t use those right? I have a random orbital, but apparently it`s not very powerful. Should I use it?

So here`s my current plan... Please advise!

-hand apply Meguiar`s Step 2 polish

-hand remove the polish

-apply Step 3 wax with random orbital

-remove step 3 wax with random orbital

I also have a dilemma with the applicator/removers. I have a pack of Simoniz cotton terry cloths, as well as a pack of fleece buffing towels. Is it OK if I apply with terrys and remove with the fleece, or should I use the terrys for both application and removal? I`d like to use MF, but I can`t find any here in Toronto and I need my car back on the road ASAP...

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing, order some MF towels...I been trying find some in Toronto but no luck yet, had to order them. Try Pakshak, they have free shipping to Canada now.

The products that you`re should be alrite if you have miminal swirls but I suggest moving to something like Klasse for longer protection during our winters and buying a PC, which I haven`t had luck finding in Toronto.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could visit a Walmart in Buffalo.......

Post Thanks / Like
    We have Walmarts in Toronto just very limited products...We have 303 at Zellers and Zaino in some barbershop in `ssauga.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clayman- Welcome to Autopia! I don`t think you really NEED to use the #7, and it can be a LITTLE tricky to use until you get the hang of it. BUT, it might make a little difference. It would go between your "step 2 polish" and the "step 3 wax". As I recall, #7 serves about the same purpose as the step 2, but it`s different.

OR, if you want to keep things really simple, the Mother`s Cleaner Wax isn`t all that bad and would accomplish a lot in just one step. You could wait until you order some MFs to do multi-step processes (the cleaner wax won`t last all that long, but neither will the step 3 stuff). Honestly, that might be what I`d do in your position. Just concentrate on doing a REALLY good job with the Mother`s and see how it turns out.

Check your cloths/towels/etc. by testing them on an old CD. They`ll all probably mar it, but you`ll find that some are coarser/softer than others. Use the softest ones. Maybe consider applying the polish/wax with a piece of cellulose sponge (cut a "kitchen sponge" in half- just don`t use one with a scrubbing pad on it ).

You might be surprised what you can accomplish with some clay and cleaner wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to know there are other Torontonians here! It`s tough to find good products around here... I was hoping to pick up NXT over the weekend, but I should have know it wouldn`t have been as easy as making a trip to Canadian Tire...

So should I go with the cotton terrys or the fleece cloths to buff off the polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Performance World Car Show this wkend in Toronto should have it...hopefully, *crosses finger*

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally like #7, goes on and comes off easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by cino321

I personally like #7, goes on and comes off easy.

So where would the #7 come in? before the polish? after? or replacing it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ClayMan

So where would the #7 come in? before the polish? after? or replacing it?
    :welcome to Autopia!

Substitute the #7 for the Polish if you have both (for some reason :p) as they are both essentially the same type of thing.

I would check out those towels you have... I`m not sure that they`ll pass or are any good, but I haven`t tried them. All I know is that they seem cheap and are made in Pakistan IIRC, which reduces the odds that they really are "100% cotton"....

Post Thanks / Like
    ClayMan,

You should be able to find Megs Ultimate Wipes at Canadian Tire. These are over priced IMO but they work well, I have many as well as lots of other MF. If you need MF towels as ASAP and can`t/don`t want to wait for an order from an online vendor they are a decent choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ClayMan

I have a random orbital, but apparently it`s not very powerful. Should I use it?

So here`s my current plan... Please advise!

-hand apply Meguiar`s Step 2 polish

-hand remove the polish

-apply Step 3 wax with random orbital

-remove step 3 wax with random orbital

If you do decide to use your random orbital - I`d use it for the polishing step and apply the wax step by hand.

I`d also agree with `4DSC`. Use either #7 or the Step 2 polish, not both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ClayMan, I would probabyl use the fleece to hand apply Step2 polish and the terry cloths to remove it because the fleece would generate much more heat than that wimpy orbital and the terry cloth would probably remove the stuff better than the fleece. And in this case you would probably want that extra heat from the fleece because that Step2 polish has minimal abrasive properties to begin with. I guess the hard part now is to wait for a warm weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not real familiar with the Meguires product line. However, if #7 is a true glaze it will only cover up the swirls and not remove them.

I would use the polish first and then the wax. Skip the glaze.

Carzzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by carzzz

I`m not real familiar with the Meguires product line. However, if #7 is a true glaze it will only cover up the swirls and not remove them.

I would use the polish first and then the wax. Skip the glaze.

Carzzz
    Actually, this is a good point. I didn`t read your first post carefully at first ClayMan, but you say the car looks "beautiful" after claying. The only thing is, if you have any swirls you didn`t mention, you are not currently equipped to deal with them because all your products are pretty much non-abrasive.

If you really want to buy from Candian Tire, pick up #9 Swirl Remover and maybe #2 Fine Cut if you think the damage is worse. That should equip you with enough polishes.

That Step 2 "Polish" you have isn`t a polish the way you probably think of that word, it`s a glaze. Look at the competing Mothers 3 steps and you`ll get the idea.

Clay-->Polish-->Glaze-->Wax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information