Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been seeing a lots of threads with people using combos of topping sealants with carnubas in the same day. Particuarly EX + S100 and #20 and #16.

I was under the impression that ALL sealants required 24 hour cure time, if this isn`t true ... which sealants can you top in the same day?
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    None that I know of. The people who are topping right away really shouldn`t IMHO. But then I`ve said this all before. If I were you I`d wait prior to topping, regardless of what sealant you use.

JMHO,

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    BillNorth is right, of course, but sometimes there just isn`t time to wait. Sometimes you have to get a car back to its owner, so if you`re gonna top it, you just have to do it. I`ve had no discernable problems putting #16 or Collinite over Autoglym`s SRP without a proper curing period. Not saying it`s the best way to go, but it seems to work OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

I wasn`t making reference specifically to the pros. I know you guys are under tight deadlines. It was directed more towards enthusiasts who detail their own cars. People who have the luxury of time to wait a few days between coats/toppers, but are just too impatient.

Bill .

Post Thanks / Like
    BillNorth- Yeah, I know, and, heh heh, I`m not a pro. Actually, I was thinking about when I do cars for friends, but I guess that`s sorta like what the pros are dealing with.

I`m with you on the need to NOT rush things if you can help it. Impatience and good detailing are sorta mutually exclusive. Hey, *I* am one of those guys who still lets (some) stuff set up overnight before buffing it off

Post Thanks / Like
    So if I have my detailer do both a polymer sealant and wax, he shouldn`t be able to do both in an 8 hour day???

Post Thanks / Like
    Gekko- Generally (and strictly) speaking, yeah, that`s right. But whether or not you`d REALLY notice a difference, :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    My best guess is if you`re using a wax as a topper that has little or no "cleaning ability" you`re probably not compromising the sealant too much ... but again, this is just my guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested in durability and protection of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    From all the reading I have done in here to me when using a sealant the best overall results encompassing durability/gloss the sealant shouldn`t be exposed to anything for at least the first 24 hours. This includes QD`s, washing, rain ect.. all could effect the curing.

Also spritzing the applicator with a QD spray to prime it logicaly can have an effect on the sealants performance as your now adding something foriegn to the sealant formula thus altering it.

I feel doing this will degrade the sealant for the first small area of application. I just pre moisten the applicator with the product. I know Zaino says to do this but then your using *thier* matching product.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel strongly that sealants need to cure.

Black just looks `deeper` the following day.

I just did a Black 90 BMW M3. 1 coat of AIO, followed with 2 coats SG, and a Souveran topper. 3 days with good air flow.

It`ll last.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    jimamary,

I know allowing 24 hours cure time is optimal, but as Accumulator mentioned sometimes you don`t have the vehicle long enough.

Soooooooo ... if you have a 1 day detail does that automatically eliminate the option of sealant + carnuba? Or, is topping a sealant prematurely a better option than pure carnuba alone.

My guess is the latter option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which sealant lends itself best to being topped prematurely?

In other words, which sealant is least compromised by topping prior to fully curing? Also, which sealant(s) are poor choices for topping in the same session?

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer to wait 24 hours, but if a customer insists, I will do it...but I do let them know it is best to wait 24 hours.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NHBFAN

I`ve been seeing a lots of threads with people using combos of topping sealants with carnubas in the same day. Particuarly EX + S100 and #20 and #16.

I was under the impression that ALL sealants required 24 hour cure time, if this isn`t true ... which sealants can you top in the same day?

This is a case when you want to know what the product is. There are plenty of products online marketed as a "sealant," but are no more synthetic than a carnauba wax. Such products do not crosslink and change, and thus do not require a `curing` time. Traditional sealants like SG do require 24 hours. Newer, more advanced products like Zaino, when enhanced with their ZFX flash-cure additive, cure immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information