Post Thanks / Like
    Let me get this straight... are there two schools of thought on how to use a clay bar?

Group 1: Uses the WHOLE bar all at once? Lots of members have talked about this, and many have demonstrated this, even manufacturers. The Mother`s clay video shows a guy using the whole bar, for example.

Group 2: Cut their bar into several small pieces and use a piece at a time, until they either drop it (oops) or exhaust it.

I`ve always thought the second idea makes more sense, and that`s what I`ve done up `til now. In terms of efficient use of the available area of clay, there`s only so many times you can re-knead your clay into a ball and flatten it into a patty again until every possible surface has contaminents on it.

I guess one question would be, how do you know when your clay is no longer safe to use?

And do you really get as much use out of your clay when you use the whole wad at once?

Are you more likely to scratch your paint using a smaller piece of clay, rather than the whole bar?

:nixweiss

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    *MY* take on this is that you can`t really/always tell when it`s contaminated, so better to err on the side of caution. I`d say you`re far more likely to pick up something nasty (that might resurface after you knead it some more) when using the whole bar. That`s why *I* use the "little pieces" approach, and I toss them frequently (or save them up for nasty jobs like the back sides of wheels).

Note that what the manufacturer`s recommend might just be what`s in THEIR best interest. Heh heh, if a cautious person drops the whole bar, they just sold another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the size of the bar - I would at least cut in half. It will be easier to handle and to a small degree you`ll increase the surface area of the clay bar you can use (hope that made sense). This is what I do with Clay Magic.

I`m not a Guru but I play one in my own garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to economize and cut the bar in half.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always cut the bar into pieces. The 200 gram bars can be easily cut into four pieces.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut my clay into small sections.

I also "shave" the surface of the clay to remove the contaminated layer, exposing fresh clean clay beneath it. You get a lot of mileage out of it!:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I always cut into pieces, the first time I ever used one it slid off the car onto the gravel. I learned my lesson real fast! I also don`t use QD for lube, I just clay when I wash the car, the car wash is sufficient lubrication and saves a lot of work.

Thread Information