Thread: Porter Cable

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone tell me about the Porter Cable, is this something that only an experienced detailer should use, will I ruin my new black car. Details Please!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought one a wekk ago. I used it on my sons 97 Dodge hood first(he hit a deer last week). After the hood I did the entire car. I would now be brave enough to use it on my 99 Explorer (which is spotless) or my wifes new Nissan Maxima. I used the white foam pad with Klasse products. Lots of info posted by others on this site. Everyone seems to think it is ok for us beginners. Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, this entire forum is jam-packed with Porter Cable D/A polisher info.

Here`s a couple links for ya to digest:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=14421

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1

These two threads have enough info to turn anyone into an expert. The machine is super easy to use. It`ll run you about $200-250 for the initial investment (machine, backing plate, some pads, etc).

Have fun reading!!
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be trying out my new PC on a 99 Sentra first before trying out on my Z. This is a topic that`s discussed a lot so search for Porter Cable and you will get all of your questions answered. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    my first time ever using a buffer was with a porter cable that i just used saturday/sunday. i used dacp, some poorboys stuff and p21s wax, the car come out perfect, no swirls, high gloss, all around sexy looking. and this was on my gs430, i didnt even try it on my cheaper cars because i knew it was hard to mess up with the PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by maharaja

my first time ever using a buffer was with a porter cable that i just used saturday/sunday. i used dacp, some poorboys stuff and p21s wax, the car come out perfect, no swirls, high gloss, all around sexy looking. and this was on my gs430, i didnt even try it on my cheaper cars because i knew it was hard to mess up with the PC.

Care to elaborate on your process? What pads did you use for which product? I know that I keep reading people saying that you can`t possibly mess it up but I`m still scared to use it on my Z.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am the same way, I too feel scared to use it especially on black!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GO Dawgs

I am the same way, I too feel scared to use it especially on black!!!

What products will you be using?

Post Thanks / Like
    While it`s good to err on the side of caution, you folks who are leery of trying the PC REALLY will be all :doh once you try one. The general response of first-time users is often "hey, this isn`t aggressive ENOUGH!"

I WILL opine that a beginner might oughta start with something milder than DACP. It`s good stuff, but between its strength and the nature of its diminishing abrasives, *I* would use something else when just starting out. Note that a well-regarded Autopian recently cut through the clear on a Benz with a PC/DACP/cutting pad while trying to remove a serious scratch.

Get a mild polish like 1Z Paint Polish (or maybe even their Metallic Polish, but that`s *AWFULLY* mild) or 3M PI-III MG (pn 05937). Get some cutting and polishing pads. Get some GOOD MFs for buffing off the polish residue. Go at it, using the above-linked threads as a guide. Those products won`t hurt anything on any normal, modern car. Yeah, a beginner could use them on a new black car. ESPECIALLY the 1z stuff- a PC with that is about as (literally) foolproof as detailing processes get. Just don`t drop the machine on the car or your foot and you`ll be fine. I can`t resist wisecracking about it I`m THAT certain things will turn out fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I"m old and shakey and it`s easy for even me.

You can always start out on the wifes car and then graduate to the rocker panels of yours and then move up but you`ll be embarrased when you see how easy and virtually foolproof it is to use a PC. FOOL-PROOF. Even a fool can do it. Even an old shakey clumsy fool can do it.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    i used the lake country pads, i used the countoured orange pad with DACP and the PC varying from 3-6 at times. the reason for the DACP usage was that the car had been neglected for a few months due to weather and the birds had a field day on my car. i worked the DACP in until it become mostly dry and was powdering off when i was going across it with a microfiber. its quite easy, just dont be nervous and work at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC is very user friendly. I believe you would have to try to damage your paint to do any harm. However, I would recommend buying a copy of Meguiars Removing Paint Defects video (about $10) before using.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...more forgiving on paint than doing it by hand - - the pressure is more uniformly distributed. You should have no fear with the PC. If you have never seen one, you need to check it out and then you`ll understand why it is virtually impossible to harm the car with it.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so what kind of pads should I use, any particular brand?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can order pads from www.properautocare.com or here on autopia. You will need a different pad for each product you use. Stick with the foam pads for a while. Later on you may want a lambswool pad. Using a sharpie, write the name of the product the pad is reserved for on the back of the pad. If you use several different polishes you will need a separate pad for each polish.

Thread Information