Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I are fixing up her rent-condo for sale. It has 2 "garden" tubs in the main and master bathrooms. They were new in the early 80`s and have approximately 25 years of soap scum, caulking and other obsenities built up in the corners. Also the fiberglass is pretty dull overall.

I have the Menzerna triplets, DACP and #82 and the Einszett triplets, various cutting and polishing pads as well as a PC and a 9227.

How would YOU attack this tub to restore a like-new shine. Any tips/gotchas regarding polishing fiberglass would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    CLR has cleaned anything I`ve ever used it on but you`ll need rubber gloves. Available everywhere. C L R ....stands for calcium, lime, rust and it cleans all that and, as far as I know, everything it touches. Strong chemicals...dammed near like some sort of acid.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    JimS

OK, CLR it is for the actual cleaning, but for a sale I would like these tubs shiney.

Just polish them like I would my truck? Don`t own a boat so I know squat about fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since we`re way out in left field, have you tried the cleansing power of fire? It might be bad for the structure, but hey - the soap scum would be gone...

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t fancy spending my retirement in jail for arson.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got shower and tub duty in our house. And yes, I was the guy who posted using the clay bar on the tub to get the overspray off a few weeks back. LOL

I use Scrubbing Bubbles Soap Scum Remover and I have added Oxiclean powder a few times for particularly tough "gunk" in the anti-slip area for a friend.

The CLR is good stuff as mentioned for the REAL tough lime and rust stains.

REMEMBER, PLENTY of ventilation!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would just use the same priciples as you do on your paint. Start with the mildest combo of pad/product and get more agressive if needed.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonzo I don`t have any suggestions for you cleaning wise but if your going to use the PC please plug it into a GFI. Its only natural your going to reach over and touch a tap or the spout and double insulated or not .. I`d feel safer with a GFI. I rather value some of your posts here and I`d hate to the the last one as a R.I.P.

Jess
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out a boating store. That`s where i get my Aerospace 303.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jesstzn

Thats a big 10-4

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used AIO on my kitchen, stove, sink (ceramic), microwave (stainless steel), mirrors and bath tiles. It does seem to cut down on soap scum that builds up on the tiles. My girlfriend asked me not to use it on the bathtub for fear of making it too slippery. It does work pretty good and leaves a very shiny finish on the ceramic. Cuts down on water spots on the mirror. Grease wipes off easier from the stovetop.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used MooseWax on our showerdoors it worked great.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    I hit the fridge, stove, washer and dryer with AIO/SG. They look great, but now the magnets slide down the front of the fridge...
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Gonzo

My wife and I are fixing up her rent-condo for sale. It has 2 "garden" tubs in the main and master bathrooms. They were new in the early 80`s and have approximately 25 years of soap scum, caulking and other obsenities built up in the corners. Also the fiberglass is pretty dull overall.

I have the Menzerna triplets, DACP and #82 and the Einszett triplets, various cutting and polishing pads as well as a PC and a 9227.

How would YOU attack this tub to restore a like-new shine. Any tips/gotchas regarding polishing fiberglass would be helpful as well.

Thanks

If you have build up crud, then you`ll have to remove it first. Without seeing it, I can`t hardly tell you a plan of attack. The CLR may be the way to go, heck, if it really has some built up crud, a plastic scraper may be the way to go?

However your get the soap scum, caulking and other obsenities off the surface, polising should be rather simple.

I would start with the rotary and a polishing pad, and either the light polishing Menzerna product, or the #83 and buff a small area for a few passes and then inspect.

If it looks better, either continue with this combo, or perhaps subsitute a more aggressive product or pad and continue buffing. Afterwards, polish with a finer polish and perhaps a more gentle pad. After that apply a wax, that is if you want a clear, glossy finish.

Most fiberglass surfaces will polish up really well. Some gelcoats will not, depending on the pigment used to color the gelcoat. I have tried buffing some gelcoats and had no effect whatsoever at restoring gloss.

Doing a Test Spot should tell you the direction to go.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for your input. Will see what happens this weekend and let you know my findings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information