Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SVR

OK we all love our cars and certain types of cars that we either really want or can`t afford and it would be great to read about some of the things you have seen people do with their cars, either at home or at commercial self serve wash bays

The other week I watched a guy shampoo his brand new Landrover with a long handled hard bristle broom which has the shampoo running out of it and if that wasn`t bad enough, he applied it to the car in figure eight motions. I cringed in shock and was going to go have a stern talking to him but decided not to bother as these types of people probably won`t listen.

Everyone i see there rinses the car with high pressure and then drives off, no drying the seals, door jams, underside of hood or boot. People wonder why their cars rust.

What`s the worst thing you`ve seen?
    ...i used to use that kind of broom with the water running out of the tip to wash. now i know it leaves a whole lot of scratches:p . well this isnt exactly qashing but i watched my neigbor as he waxed his dirty winter salt, snow, mud, dirt covered car with turtle polishing compound which i heard was extremely agressive. well by the time i went out to tell him he already did 3/4 of the car.

edit: oh yeah a few weeks ago my neigbor was washing her dirty new higlander with a nasty dark colored shirt and a tiny 2-3 gallon bucket full of dirty water mixed with Joy dishwashing detergent. she went through the car with the "washing formula" and her dirty shirt while her brother followed her to dry the car where she just "washed" with another dirty old dark shirt. no wonder the car is all faded out even though its less than a year old.

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago, My daughters wanted to do something special for thier mother for Mothers day, so decided to wash her car. My wife taught them well how to wash dishes efficiently and thouroughly. They applied thier expert knowledge to her car..... when I drove up I couldnt help but notice how dull her car looked.... As I got closer all I could see were swirls on every inch ! They told me that her car was so dirty , no matter how much or hard they rubbed with the Scotchbrite pads, it wouldnt shine.... Took me a week with the Makita to bring a shine back, never was the same due to some very thin clearcoat. A month later, I quietly took it in to trade
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mochamanz

Years ago, My daughters wanted to do something special for thier mother for Mothers day, so decided to wash her car. My wife taught them well how to wash dishes efficiently and thouroughly. They applied thier expert knowledge to her car..... when I drove up I couldnt help but notice how dull her car looked.... As I got closer all I could see were swirls on every inch ! They told me that her car was so dirty , no matter how much or hard they rubbed with the Scotchbrite pads, it wouldnt shine.... Took me a week with the Makita to bring a shine back, never was the same due to some very thin clearcoat. A month later, I quietly took it in to trade

those girls would be DEAD.

Post Thanks / Like
    my dad used to wash his carwith a scoop of tide dissolved in water.

oh yeah, he used to polish his black car with black shoe polish. he`d ruin all the towels doing that one.

i`m guilty of the squeege wash at the gas station, but just a quick bird dropping removal.

i almost crapped one time when i came outside to see my dad clearing snow off my old car with a straw broom.

i once washed my sisters jetta with those carwash wipes, they come in a pack, premoistened. man, it looked dirtier after i was done

i used to use any towel i could find to dry off my car.

my friend`s neighbors use a watering can, like for plants, and an old rag to wash their car, plus some bar soap from the shower (i guess thats thier wax, because they apply it in circular motions when they are done)

i once saw a lady at a diy carwash waxing her car with a candle

Post Thanks / Like
    One time my father pulled out his Villager minivan and started washing it with dishwashing liquid and an old rag he used to clean off his golf shoes. :shocked

Another time he started scrubbing his Taurus with dishwashing liquid as I was washing my car. I couldn`t take it anymore and said "HERE, USE THIS! and handed him a bottle of Gold Class and some clean towels and wash mitt."

I have a friend who took a scotchbrite pad to the front of her car to clean the bugs off.

I can`t tell you how many times I`ve been to a DIY car wash and observed people using picking up the brush out of the mud and using it to scrub their car`s paint.

At car shows I`ve seen people take towels and wipe dirt and dust off the paint without any QD and/or use Windex as a QD. If you say anything to them they get very offended so now I just shut up.

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another story, but with a good ending (hopefully).

Started squaring away my car this past Fri.

Did a wash, a quick clay job, and put on some Paint

Perfection Glaze ( paint is swirleed to heck, so I just

wanted some protection until I figure out what to try next )

Along comes one of my dad`s friends. He`s in a rush, so

he drags out the wash bucket with dirty water in it, and

grabs the "broom" (don`t know why it`s still in the shop,

I coulda sworn I tossed that thing a few weeks back),

and proceeds to to do a rush job. I just stood there

and watched. I tried to get him to let me help him,

but he said it would take too much time to do what

I wanted to do (no lie there ). I`m thinking it may

have taken him less than 10 mins to do the car with

that damned broom.

After he was done I just looked at the car, and it was

just dull. True, it was silver, but you could barely see

the reflection of direct sunlight on the thing. And the

paint felt just like the sandpaper I used to knock down

OP. Seriously, it didn`t look any better than before he

started. I pointed it out to him, but he did not pay me

much attention. Too much trouble for what the car was

worth, he said.

I told him he was better off taking the car to the regular

carwash. His reply?

"I`m never going there, they`re a ripoff."

After that remark, I made him promise to give me the

car for a day the next time he came by, otherwise I`d make

sure he wasn`t allowed to bring the car back again.

I think I got his attention, as he promised to bring it to me

for next Fri.

Shortly after that conversation, another person comes by

to get a wash. As he`s about to go for the bucket and the

broom, my dad`s friend quickly pulled him to the side and

said something to him.

Now I have 2 appointments

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread should be made a sticky with the title "NEVER do any of these things!!!" lol.

I have a friend that won`t let anyone else wash his car or do anything to it. His process is fill up bucket that has dirt on the bottom, use TONS of Blue Coral wash, use old black but should be yellow sponge, then rinse car off, then use CWB that has been lying behind the seats do dry without cleaning it, then use some several year old KIT wax with whatever he can find to put it on. His red car looks pink under the right light. Then he usually takes some tire shine aerosal and sprays it on the wheels and tires, because it makes his rims shiney!!!
    If other drivers don`t swerve when they see the shine of your car, your not done yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by xnevergiveinx

... bar soap from the shower (i guess thats thier wax, because they apply it in circular motions when they are done).

I once saw a lady at a diy carwash waxing her car with a candle

You made these last two up, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was busy today so my son was doing the usual wash for me. I went into the kitchen for a little muffin/coffee break. I glanced outside and I see my son scrubbing the car and my neighbor "the car collector" washing his car too (Probably got jealous seeing a 15 y/o washing the car diligently while he sat on the couch eating).

He was scrubbing his Porsche with a Zymol wash. So far so good. What made me gag a little was that I see him take a sponge and starts washing the wheels with nothing but water. When he was done, he used the same sponge and start scrubbing hardly onto the rest of the black Porsche.

When he was done, he took an Absorber and dried the wheels first and started drying the hood. He popped the engine compartment open and started wiping the engine. I could see little dirt patches being wiped off on the absorber. He then drags the absorber across the rest of the car... Poor Porsche :sosad
    Mine: Camry LE & Sienna XLE LTD. Sister: Sienna LE & IS300. Brother: Tundra, 4Runner, & Celica. In-laws: Avalon LTD & GS300. Sister-in-law: LS430 & SC430. My own parents: ES300. The CarsFreak Family- Powered by Toyota.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by xnevergiveinx

... bar soap from the shower (i guess thats thier wax, because they apply it in circular motions when they are done).

I once saw a lady at a diy carwash waxing her car with a candle

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

You made these last two up, right?

ha, i only wish i was making it up. the first dude, my friends neighbor, he is asian, does not understand english well, can`t figure out when trash day is and how to throw stuff out properly, can`t cut the lawn right...gotta give him props for trying

the lady at the carwash, yeah, it was a candle, with a wick, at least she picked a green candle to match her green car. she was also making all the same terrible typical mistakes at the diy carwash

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I`ve seen it all until I skimed through this thread. I saw a few apartment tenants cleaning their dirty car with windex with regular cloth. One tentant years ago had an old Chevy Aerostar (one of those old min vans) with crome wheel; I saw him washing the wheels almost 3 times a week in the parking lot but the entire exterior of that van was unwashed. Countless times, I have seen late model cars at the DIY car wash bay whose owners (or whoever brought that car to that wash bay) are using those dirty & hard black bristle brush to scrubing the clear coat. I am simply amazed at those people; but, for some people, detailing or washing cars is not a high priority nor of any interest, I guess.

As for myself, I go to those DYI car wash pay late in the evening or very early in the morning (no other customers) to wash off the car first (with the DIY wash nozzel a few feets away from my car) and bring out my own buckets of water with quality car wash soap to wash there (thus, I need to be there when there is no or only a few customers), dry it out in the parkting lot at the DIY with WW towel and apply sealant, wax, or one of those quick wax/Sonus Acrylic Glanz.
    YS

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CarsFreak

He was scrubbing his Porsche with a Zymol wash. So far so good. What made me gag a little was that I see him take a sponge and starts washing the wheels with nothing but water. When he was done, he used the same sponge and start scrubbing hardly onto the rest of the black Porsche.

When he was done, he took an Absorber and dried the wheels first and started drying the hood. He popped the engine compartment open and started wiping the engine. I could see little dirt patches being wiped off on the absorber. He then drags the absorber across the rest of the car... Poor Porsche :sosad

Sounds like he`s going the right direction, but is just a little confused as to the sequence!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CarsFreak

I was busy today so my son was doing the usual wash for me. I went into the kitchen for a little muffin/coffee break. I glanced outside and I see my son scrubbing the car and my neighbor "the car collector" washing his car too (Probably got jealous seeing a 15 y/o washing the car diligently while he sat on the couch eating).

LOL. my neighbor does that too when they see me washing me washing the cars (im almost 15 too..). they also make the same mistakes if not worst.:p

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by another qx4

LOL. my neighbor does that too when they see me washing me washing the cars (im almost 15 too..). they also make the same mistakes if not worst.:p

I`m being talked about. I have an unusual obsession with a car and I do a majority of the detailing for me dad.

I started early I guess. At the ripe age of 13.

BTW, I found this site after my dad (CarsFreak) left it on. Great site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha Ha some of these are great! To be honest i havnt seen what my nabours do, they all use a sponge as do my family, i try to tell them

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information