Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Friend of mine washes his car when it rain (this is in Southern California). Plus he parks it outside all year long.

I feel so sorry for the 99 Maxima. The paint condition has ZERO reflection.
    There is place like 127.0.0.1

Post Thanks / Like
    usdm-too bad when he needs a repaint, he`ll have to shell out $2500+ for a decent one.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    We as car lovers take the washing and maintance of a car seriously but to other people its just a car.It doesn`t annoy me when I see people that wash ther car with a ice pick BUT I will tell you when I see a car that is held together with glue(like the cars on pimp my ride)with 4 different tires and tape holding on the lights that scares me.Its a accident waiting to happen.AND THATS MY 2 CENTS WORTH

Post Thanks / Like
    My neighbor was washing her 1 year old Ford mini-van with the kids "helping" her. My best guess is they were using dish detergent, but the kids where following mom around the car drying. They must have gone around the car a dozen times. The scary part was they would lay the towels out on the driveway to "dry" between uses. So picture a few 8 - 12 year olds, stretching the towels out on the driveway, picking up the last one, running over to dry a pannel and repeating. I had to go inside...I couldn`t take it anymore!

Post Thanks / Like
    My neighbor uses the two bucket method on his 1ton truck:

One bucket full of Simple Green solution

One bucket to rinse.

Good thing it`s white.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am watching my neighbor outside washing and waxing his two year old maxima. He is putting his car through some serious abuse. He seems to have taken a liken to washing his car with ONE bucket of extremely black water with what looks like a face cloth.:nono After the tortuous washing he looks like he is using some paste wax and is applying it with one of those huge foam wash sponges in a cicurlar motion. This sponge by the way has also turned black. Dude maybe your car wasn`t clean before you started to wax it. I also see some huge bath towels on the grass. Are you using these to buff your car? Maybe I shoudl be nice and go out and at least offer him my nice microfibers to take off his wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve really enjoyed these stories. The only one I would rate as a true horror story is the "detailer" that uses Pledge on his customers cars and charges them $50. The rest of the stories, I kinda did the mental check in the box next to "Yup, done that".

I`ve always kept my cars clean and looking "good", but every once in awhile I would see a car that made me say "Wow!" It wasn`t until I picked up this used E320 that I was curious enough to find out how to get to the "Wow" plateau. What you are calling horror stories are SOP`s to the normal car owner. When they ask what you did to get your car looking so good, they don`t want the real answer, they want you to tell them about the miracle 1 step wax.

While you are shaking your heads watching them, they are shaking their heads watching you. It`s all in your priorities. Those of us here are looking for "Wow", everybody else is happy with "looking good".

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    went to a local car show tonight.

saw a woman wipe down a GORGEOUS `53 ford victoria with an oliy rag and some windex to clean off the pedestrians finger prints.

it was sad to see so many swirl marks on these cars. (ranging from later 30`s to new STI`s. stock to hot-rodded.)
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for a great thread!

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m glad you did bump it. I have had some great laughs reading the stories!

Paul
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooooohh!! I`m going to the Autoshow in Motion this Friday, I`ll be sure to take my digicam and check out the paint jobs!! Of course after I`m done driving all the cars
    2003.5 Desert Platinum Infiniti G35 Sedan

Biweekly Routine---Wash: Foam gun + NXT Wash (Microfibers), then topped with #16 or OCW.

Post Thanks / Like
    "$250 to wet sand, buff, polish and wax the hood.

$150 for him being a complete moron who should`ve listened to me in the first place." - someone said it

i bet the guy was shocked when he saw what he was paying for on the bill

i watched my friend just tonight wash the rear of his nissan 240 with the foam brush at the gas pumps tonight its ok thought he gets new paint shot on it sunday so i just said "idiot" and walked away

i was polishing out my truck the other day and my neighbor with a brand new black dodge comes over and says "thats alot of work for such an old truck" its a 97 i just said "yea but atleast it looks better than your new truck" and kept polishing he looked shocked at my smart mouth stood there for a few minutes and went inside hahah

i used to have one of the competitive neighbors where we would do something in the yard and the next week he would be doing the same thing or something better.... he got annoying really fast

i also live next to a know it all neighbor he used to watch me detail my white honda accord and tell me that i was wasting time that all it needs is a good wash every once in a while

he bought a brand new black truck and i talked to him telling him that i could clean it up for him really cheap he was old and stubborn he said he could do it just fine needless to say 2 weeks later it was swirls on wheels and he wanted me to fix it haha

Post Thanks / Like
    My neighbor (about a week after I detailed his daughter`s car) decided to wash her blue Tiburon in the hot summer sun. He doesn`t work very fast, and so the sun dried a nasty soap residue (complete with water spotting) onto the side of the car. I showed him the residue and reminded him AGAIN not to wash the cars in the sun. He said "That`s ok..at least it`s not dirty anymore".

IMO, it barely looked better than it did before the wash. If you`re going to wash the car, you might as well do it right.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday, as I was sitting at the "Longest Red Light" in Florida, I glanced over to observe the DIY carwash. It was full of people abusing their cars. One guy had the pressure washer under his arm and about 2 inches from his paint. He was "going Rambo" with that thing!

In the next stall, a guy was beginning his wash cycle with one of those soap dispensing brooms. As we watched in horror as he scrubbed his paint at a feverish pitch, my car said to me, "If you ever do that to me, I`m leaving you!"

I am sure my wife would say the same

Post Thanks / Like
    This happened on two separate occasions, I work at a commercial photo studio in SoCal, the photographer has a Porsche 911 Turbo, and right after telling him that I do detailing as a hobby, that getting the perfect, deep, wet looking shine is what I strive for. He asked me to do a few of his cars which I will do in at work in the studio. But thats sometime in the near future.

A few minutes after our discussion, he tells one of the other photo assistants to wash his car, and he proceeds to do so with the following tools:

Hose

Honda Polish (Honda`s QD)

1 Dirty Microfiber

1 Dishwashing sponge.

I was busy in the other studio shooting some bikes and walked out to check on him from time to time.

The chameleonish silver colored Porsche was completely covered with bugs from a drive to Vegas the weekend before. He proceeded to hose down the car, and let it dry under the SoCal sunshine (80+ degrees), then cleaned the entire car with the dishwashing sponge, rims first, then paint. Bottom of the car up! Oh, no soap in this entire process! Just water and a tiny sponge! Then after the water has dried on the paint he QD`d the car with the Honda Polish, with 1 yellow MF that was 50% black with dirt and grease. I was going to say something but I went back in to shoot. Later I came out to a greasy swirly Porsche 911 Turbo. I told the photographer to take a good look at the condition of the paint, because he thinks it looks great. I`ll post some pics after I get done with it. Plan is to start with some SSR1 or SMR2.0, maybe FI-II or SSR2.5 if it needs it, but I really dont want to haze the paint and finally some #26 for some depth.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread Information