Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My next door neighbor washes his 2 Lexus trucks and his Jag with car wash soap...sounds ok so far. But he also uses a big long scrub brush for everything, it looks like a mini broom. I`m betting it`s supposed to be used for cars, but I believe it`s some cheapy pep-boys brush.

He scrubs everything with it, wheels, wheel wells, paint, glass - everything! The cars are dried with big beach towels also - it makes me cringe! I gave him an old absorber I had as I get a new one every season...I just couldn`t watch the drying anymore!

I admit to some pretty bad methods way back when. My brother and I used to wash my parents cars with big hardware store sponges and dishwashing liquid. When I first started to enjoy what i thought was detailing, I used a lot of meguiars products from pep boys - with the old blue pep boys towels for everything (back in like 97). I still have a few lying around for various house-scrubbing work, they are anything but plush!

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    1SLOW50- I don`t know whether to scream, laugh, or cry after reading that story.... I just... can`t comprehend it.....

Post Thanks / Like
    How about this one

Work mate met a friend of his at a dealership the other day and saw one of the car wash guys there dip a worn chamois into a big puddle of dirty water, wring it out and dry a car with it

Not only that but he was using it at a speed not much slower than a rotary on it`s lowest speed.

Scratch as you dry

Glad I started this thread - it`s a goodie.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a new one from one of my customers - his mother washed her car with velvet laundry soap (looks like hand wash soap)

Ended up scratching it a fair bit

Tiz amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend and I decided to wash our cars this past weekend. My car is in the signature and he drives a white isuzu rodeo. It took him about 15 minutes to completely wash his car. It involved the use of only 1 sponge for EVERYTHING. wheels, glass, and paint. after he was done drying (with a bath towel *cry*) i was only done with the front bumper, the hood, and the two front fenders, so he just sat down an watched me. As he sat there I kinda told him what I was doing, prerinsing with the foam gun, gently gliding the mitt over the paint while spraying foam, rinse the mitt out alot, etc etc. After I was done we both pulled the cars out from underneith the carport into the sun. his question to me "what are all these scratches on my car?" "those are from how you wash your car" "will wax take them out?" "I`m afraid not, but i have things that will take them out." "why doesnt your car have any?" "I wash properly" "no, your obsessive!" "ya, and?"
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha Ha, trust the sun to show up all the marks

It takes time but is so worthwhile

Post Thanks / Like
    One eager to clean lady. Brand new black Jeep. One plastic bristle scrub brush on a pole. Heavy duty industrial strength "soap" more like lye in a bucket, stong base (farming supplies). Extremely hot water mixed with "soap". The horror!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I just read all of the pages of this thread Great stories guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was in high school, my mother had to borrow my car for some reason that I can`t remember. It had snowed the night before, so my mother takes a GLASS Coke bottle out of the back of my car (at least it wasn`t a beer bottle) and proceeds to brush the snow off the car with the glass bottle... WHAT the eff was she thinking?!?! She proceeded to scratch every panel and window on the car. I had permanent white looking streaks on every window, and it looked like someone keyed the whole car (hood, trunk, everything).

Replacing all the glass with a repaint was more than the car was worth. I ended up selling the car for $400 bucks to some guy that wanted the engine only.

I love my momma, but sometimes....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by usdm
    Dude, it`s time you told him to step up to the big leagues

The Lemon Pledge is Da shizzle ma nizzle:xyxthumbs

THIS was/is the best/funniest post I`ve seen in a very looong time! THANKS!

As a matter of fact I read this quiet a while ago and was wondering what happened to this thread, and here it is !!!! YES!

:lol

When we got our brand new Touareg (dark blue) at the dealership they put the finishing touches on the car by using really dirty rags to wipe off some water. I was very close to not sign the papers and "earned" blank stares when I insisted that they should stop NOW doing what they did..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny that this thread is back as I was just about to post a new story I witnessed the other day.

Walked out to the front yard with my little girl to play, and I look across the street at the resident lunatic family in the neighborhood. The little boy in the family is on top of the car with a gigantic pressure wash type spray nozzle and one of those two sided dish sponges. No soap, and no ladder used to get up to where he is. He climbed right up the hood and windshield of their brand new Saturn Vue with said objects in hand and proceeded to swirl it up. I had to take my daughter back inside. I can`t let her see things like that.

Here is the "detailing" supply. Used with abrasive side on paint. [shudder]

"I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad got mad at me this weekend because I wouldn`t let him use a white terry cloth washcloth to wash his truck...... :shocked
    2003 BMW M3 Cabrio

2003 GMC Denali Pick Up

2002 Cobalt 262 (boat)

Post Thanks / Like
    At a local dealership of about 75-90 cars I watched a salesmen clean the snow off all the cars with our shop push broom.
    Quality is a habit, not an act. - Aristotle

Detailer in Charlotte, NC :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    There was this one time, I was washing my old car. As I was wiping off the wax, I noticed something wrong with the reflection. I saw myself, but I thought I saw someone else behind me. I turned around and saw no one.

(This thread is about horror stories, right? :p )
    2005 FORD MUSTANG V6 DELUXE - "Belldandy"

Windveil Blue Clearcoat Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    As a not new to autopian ways autopia member, some of these stories make me so speechless,i just want to absolutley vomit in disgust from all these stories,i don`t even want to imagine how their interior has been treated,and i would charge a hefty penny to even touch one of these vehicles to make it look half decent.

I absolutley refuse to use a automatic swirl-o-matic,my mom knows better than to wash and the car and induce swirlies,because she knows i will kill her, on the other hand my sister doesn`t wash her car periiod, if she does it`s with a brush,and in up and down motions,circular motions,and it`s with eek! dawn :grrr :bolt :nomore: and she has used wheel acid on steaming hot wheels a few times until i gave her a stern autopian chat, now she uses my fuzzy washmitt & carwash shampoo, a meguiars wheelbrush,and a soft tire cleaning brush and tire cleaner, and now i don`t have to walk out into the garage and see swirlified cars :hairpull :hide:

All my friends swirl their cars, i don`t even bother trying to clean their rides as they are filthy inside & out...

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread Information