Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Want to have a go at removing some swirls from my black car tomorrow. I`ve got my PC and LC pads (yellow, white and grey) but I don`t have any DACP yet (and can`t get any before tomorrow).

I do have the following though and wondered what would probably be most effective. I appreciate that i must start with the least aggresive and work up, but am I just wasting my time using these products (not that i mind, because I just NEED to play with the PC anyway! )

S100 SEC

Scratch X

Megs #9

3M Perfect-It Fine Cut Rubbing Compound

TurtleWax Safe Cut

I think that only the #9, Scratch X and the 3M are going to be worth trying, in that order.

If I may ask your opinions please,

Thank you,

Face
    Pearl Black RenaultSport Clio 172 2.0 16v

Shed full of half-empty product bottles

Post Thanks / Like
    I would start with the #9 and see if that helps to reduce the swirls. I personally LOVE FCRC, I have used it to remove horrible hologram swirls from the hood of a dark green Maxima, and it worked great. Even on that dark color, I have not noticed a need to use a less aggressive product to remove hazing, there just wasn`t any hazing at all. Just for reference, I used a cutting pad on my PC starting at 3.5-4 and working up to 6 once the product was spread evenly. The SEC would be an excellent follow up product before waxing, I haven`t personally used it, but the results I have seen speak for themselves.
    2003 Mazda Protege ES 2.0
    Sunlight Silver Metallic
    very dirty

Post Thanks / Like
    Faceman, sorry to interupt your thread, but I`ve been trying to send you a PM and your PM box is full. Can you make a bit of room there please

Tony
    2005 MINI Cooper S

Pepper White, Black roof and mirrors

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry `bout that... all cleared down.

Cheers,

Face

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by IndigoGTI

I personally LOVE FCRC, I have used it to remove horrible hologram swirls from the hood of a dark green Maxima, and it worked great.
    Just a note of caution for Faceman - US and European specs of the 3M products are not necessarily the same, even where they share the same or similar names.

However, I have used 3M PI-111 Fine Cut with the PC and its a good product
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually the 3m fine cut i have is the US version... bought it whilst in Vegas.

Who needs to bring back ```s and booze? Gimme loads of wax and polish any day....

Face

Post Thanks / Like
    Guessed you might have the US version as you called it FCRC!
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Note that there are a few different "Perfect-It Rubbing Compound"s. The one *I* use most is the PI-III (pn 05933). Like IndigoGTI, I can often go straight from this to my last step product.

There`s also a PI-II FCRC that`s ABOUT the same, but a little more aggressive (IMO).

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be safe for me to say....

I have had limited experience using ScratchX with a PC. (Megs will tell you it is not meant for machine use) Don`t work it too long; compound must remain wet for easy removal. The only disadvantage I saw was removing the product. Nothing a QD won`t remove.

Worked good for swirl marks.
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Bunker- That`s a good tip. While the Meg`s reps often say it`s only for hand use, Mike Phillips gets great results using Scratch-X by PC.

As I pointed out on some other threads, the advice from Meguiar`s reps is NOT reliable. Unfortunate, but true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

Bunker- That`s a good tip. While the Meg`s reps often say it`s only for hand use, Mike Phillips gets great results using Scratch-X by PC.

As I pointed out on some other threads, the advice from Meguiar`s reps is NOT reliable. Unfortunate, but true.

...but the advice from Mike comes from actual trial/error use of the product (like you already mentioned )
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Phillips just said in this thread http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...478#post311478 that scratchX becomes gummy when used with a PC and doesn`t recommend it
    2005 MINI Cooper S

Pepper White, Black roof and mirrors

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew I was asking for trouble.

No, Scratch X is not recomended to use by machine. Yes, it does get gummy if used by machine if it is worked too long, making it difficult to remove.

Given the limited products listed by Faceman, sometimes you have to work with what you`ve got.

ScratchX is a great product and will remove fine scratches and swirls. Not recommended or endorsed by Megs.

Faceman, try it in a small spot and see if it works for you.
    Be Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Faceman

I think that only the #9, Scratch X and the 3M are going to be worth trying, in that order.
    Well at least you have the order of aggressiveness right. :xyxthumbs

Back before DACP became a hot item at Autopia, the two most common products being used were swirl removers and 3M FCRC, with the FCRC having a similar role to DACP of course.

With the huge range of products available now, things have gotten much more crowded and more finely tuned, but it has been said in the past that you could just buy these two products alone and be able to deal with most problems (like swirls) that you encounter. Personally I don`t think you`re really handicapped or limited here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tnoy66

Mike Phillips just said in this thread http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...478#post311478 that scratchX becomes gummy when used with a PC and doesn`t recommend it

Maybe I`m confused/wrong here (wouldn`t be the first time ) but I think Mike has had differing experiences with the Scratch X by PC. He might PREFER other combos, but I think it`s worked OK for him on some occasions. "Oh, Mike..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information