Thread: #7/nxt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally found some NXT!

Just the spray and wax....wash was no where to be found.

Can this combination work...and look good?
    2007 WRB WRX TR

Post Thanks / Like
    SRT4- This is just hearsay, but supposedly the NXT *WILL* work over the #7. Meg`s has (again, supposedly) made the NXT so it will be compatible with their "pure polishes" like #7. I haven`t tried that combo myself, at least not yet. The NXT will probably remove a LITTLE of the #7, but it should still work fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

SRT4- This is just hearsay, but supposedly the NXT *WILL* work over the #7. Meg`s has (again, supposedly) made the NXT so it will be compatible with their "pure polishes" like #7. I haven`t tried that combo myself, at least not yet. The NXT will probably remove a LITTLE of the #7, but it should still work fine.

I thought you told me yesterday before the database crash that you would probably skip the #7 before NXT? Or maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it`s worth, I did a #81/NXT combo on Saturday morning. Looked great until 3 hours later, when the snow began to fall. Ah well, that just gives me more incentive to do it over again once the weekend hits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brannong- No you didn`t misunderstand, and I wasn`t consciously being contradictory, either. But I sure understand your confusion.

I didn`t get into the "should I?" issue with SRT4. I sorta just ignored that part of his Q and said that yeah, it`ll work.

Don`t mean to be confusing...I generally think that #7 before NXT is questionable as far as effort/results, with the pre-#7 prep being a HUGE factor. Especially with basecoat/clear paints. But if someone wants to try it, I guess I`ll say "sure". Perhaps I read something different into YOUR post...sometimes I get a "feel" for where somebody`s coming from and tailor my response accordingly. I can always be wrong about that Sorry for being inscrutable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, I understand completely. But since its been brought up again, you mentioned using #80 instead of #9 on the black explorer. Can the #80 be used by hand and is it as effective? I just don`t have the $ for a pc right now.

My plans for now:

Wash

Clay

#9 or #80 still up for debate

#7 Still can``t decide if this is necessary

NXT

Wait a week

Wash

NXT

#26 (Possibly depends on looks of NXT)

Post Thanks / Like
    brannong- Yeah, the #80 works pretty well by hand. It`s a bit more aggressive than the #9 but it breaks down *VERY* quickly and easily. *I* like it a LOT better than the #9 for hand/PC use (but I wouldn`t use it every week since it IS stronger). Also, the #80 leaves a bit of "glaze" behind, which is probably why I didn`t think you`d need #7 over top of it. Yeah, I`d still go #80/NTX in your case.

Another reason I`d skip the #7 is that *I* predict you`re in for a rather big job. Thanks for jogging my memory, NOW I`m back on the same page with you...

Post Thanks / Like
    I love #80 and highly recommend it. When I need something stroner than #9, but not as aggressive as DACP, #80 fits the bill. I use with a polish pad or orange pad.

I have tried a thin coat of Hand Polish and then topped with NXT. I had smearing issues with the removal of NXT. I then tried VM and NXT and had a much easier time removing. The look was similar with the VM section much slicker after NXT removal. Sorry, I`m not good at describing the different nuances of the VM and Hand Polish. That`s the extent of it.

With the "cleaning" concerns of NXT, I would suggest maybe skipping the glaze aspect, especially if you properly polished your paint.

My next experiment is #80, Hand Polish then topped with #16.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy-I`ve also had real nice results from VM/NXT.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I also had smearing issues with #81 hand polish and NXT but I thought it was because I put it(nxt) on alittle thick. Gonna try VM/NXT next time.

Thread Information