Post Thanks / Like
    OK.

After more than 2 months since doing our 2 cars (Passat w/wait one hour, Benz with WOO), I washed the cars again last weekend.

Comparing the two cars, it appears that the Klasse is holding up slightly better on the Passat. The water runs off of the car more quickly, and the shine appears a little better.

This is not to say that the protection is gone from the Benz. In fact, it still looks fantastic! The protection is still there, and the shine is brilliant. It`s just not as fantastic looking as the Passat.

It is quite possible that the differences are not due to application method, but are due to differences in exposure.

The Passat is garaged 14+ hours every day, and all day on weekends. The Benz is on the road every day, has been through 3 periods of snow/sleet/slush/salt (each lasting about a week), and has been outside 24/7 for those 3 weeks.

So far, in my opinion, I would believe that there would be minimal to no difference in appearance/beading/sheeting if the cars were both subjected to the same conditions.

To sum it up: As of now, I believe the BillNorth method to be the equal of the WOH.

I`ll continue to update over the next months . . .

PS: One more interesting observation - I used a Griot`s Garage boar`s hair brush to wash the Benz, and afterward it appeared to have millions of micro-scratches in the paint. It was too cold to do anything about it, so I just drove it for the next week. The next time I washed it, I used a sheepskin mitt, and after washing/drying, the microscratches were gone! I don`t know if the appearance was from the brush, or from something left on the paint (removed by the sheepskin). . . but I found it very, very odd.

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dmatre

.. I used a Griot`s Garage boar`s hair brush to wash the Benz, and afterward it appeared to have millions of micro-scratches in the paint. It was too cold to do anything about it, so I just drove it for the next week. The next time I washed it, I used a sheepskin mitt, and after washing/drying, the microscratches were gone! I don`t know if the appearance was from the brush, or from something left on the paint (removed by the sheepskin). . . but I found it very, very odd.

While I`m the resident BHB fanatic, I`m *ALSO* the first person to say "dump it!" if it mars your finish. Leaving out the whole issue of "was the brush used correctly", it sounds like one of two things happened. Either a) the brush didn`t get all the dirt off the vehicle and that`s what you saw, or, b) MORE LIKELY, it marred the SG and the subsequent washing with the mitt somehow corrected it.

Whatever`s going on, it`s NOT GOOD!! I`d send that brush back and let them know it marred your paint (don`t tell them the marring disappeared ).

Again, the BHB isn`t for everyone or every situation. If it doesn`t work RIGHT for you, use something else that does.

Post Thanks / Like
    dmatre,

Thanks again for continuing to update us on your findings. I think the differences you are seeing between the benz and passat are in fact due to the differences in their outside exposure. I know in my own personal experience, the car that is never garaged doesn`t seem to sheet as well as the two that are garaged. The constant winter pounding definatley gives the klasse a beating, regardless of application and removal method.

Thanks again!

Bill :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah, that was a totally bogus comparison, no offence! One garaged, one outside? in the winter no less? I think this speaks worlds of the BillNorth method, that with such varied conditions the Klasse still holds up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 99ITR_SC

Yah, that was a totally bogus comparison, no offence! One garaged, one outside? in the winter no less?

Yeah, I know it`s not an apples-to-apples comparison, but it is as close as I can get (considering that I do have to work for a living).

I don`t have the luxury of being able to maintain the same conditions on both cars, so I take what I`ve got, and try to report it as factually as possible.

To be honest, I`m really impressed with how well the SG has held up on the Benz, considering that it`s gone through 3 weeks of salt spray and remaining outside.

Now, if anybody else wants to run a true comparison, it`s time to step up to the plate!

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

Post Thanks / Like
    If case you got the wrong message, I wasn`t trying to put your test down or anything at all like that. I was more suggesting how what an outstanding product Klasse is considering in 2 completely disparate condictions, both cars are holding up similarily (to some extent). And considered that one was applied in such a quick manner.

Just to clarify!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a test about 3-4 years back for the atuopians comparing boar`s hair to sheepskin to 100% cotton for washmitts/brushes. I tested them on blank CDR`s.

The boar`s hair was the worst. Marring all over the place. The sheepskin was close to the cotton but still noticeably more marring/swirling.

BTW, boar`s hair was from Griot`s, mitts were from CMA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Newprufrock - great information to know . . . if only I`d searched.

I`ve been using the boar`s hair brush for about 9 years now, and didn`t notice anything out of the ordinary until the last time couple of times that I washed.

I guess I can still use it for washing the window sills on the house, the garage door, etc.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. :xyxthumbs

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by neoprufrok

The boar`s hair was the worst. Marring all over the place. The sheepskin was close to the cotton but still noticeably more marring/swirling.

I can still recall the fallout from that test like like it had been done yesterday! Good job and a worthwhile effort :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

...part of the reason chenille is still my "mitt of choice"...now, if only it wasn`t for all that lint when laundering with MF towels.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by neoprufrok

I did a test about 3-4 years back for the atuopians comparing boar`s hair to sheepskin to 100% cotton for washmitts/brushes. I tested them on blank CDR`s.

When you did your test were the mitts/brush wetted with the appropriate water/soap solution as they would be in thier intended use? Reason I ask is when dry the Sheepskin mitt(s) I have feel no where near as soft and slippery as they do wetted. Where the cotton ( chenelle) ones don`t seem to feel much different wetted or not.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    neoprufrok- Was it really that long ago?!? I remember that from my lurking days...I remember thinking how the paint on my XJS must be as soft as a CDR while the b/c on some of my other cars must be a LOT harder than that.

dmatre- If you`d BEEN having good results with the BHB until recently, maybe the tips of the bristles are finally wearing down past their split tips. My first set of BHBs definitely "wore out" and started marring like crazy, MUCH worse than they ever did before.

Tom P.- If YOUR chenille mitts lint the way MINE do, you might wanna quit washing them with your MFs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to say, but the comparison I`ve been running on the WOO/WOWO (BillNorth) method versus the WOH (wait one hour) method is over.

After washing both cars yesterday, it was just too nice of a day to not be working on the cars, so I put another coat of SG on the Benz. I love it when the neighbors make a trip over just to say that the car looks like new, and to ask how it stays that way!

Final summary: After 2-1/2 months, the original application of 2xSG was still going strong. Although the beading/sheeting and appearance was not as good as the Passat, or as good as when first applied, it was still there, and still protecting the paint.

Since the WOO method is so easy, and gives great results so quickly (SG`d the Benz in about 20-30minutes), I kept with this method.

As for the wife`s Passat (WOH, and always garaged), after washing it looks almost as good as the day it was SG`d.

Later this spring, I may just reverse the process (Benz with WOH, Passat with WOO), in order to find out if the difference in performance was due to conditions or to application method.

2000 Volvo S80</p>

2006 Nissan Murano</p>

2011 BMW 328i</p>

2014 Mercedes E350

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jesstzn

When you did your test were the mitts/brush wetted with the appropriate water/soap solution as they would be in thier intended use? Reason I ask is when dry the Sheepskin mitt(s) I have feel no where near as soft and slippery as they do wetted. Where the cotton ( chenelle) ones don`t seem to feel much different wetted or not.

Yes, they were. I used my then favorite solution fo Pinnacle Shampoo. I was quite suprised by the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the WOO method myself. I applied two coats of SG to my Acura TSX, about one week apart per coat. That was about two-three months ago. The car has not been garaged at all, but it doesn`t rain much and I use a car cover at night. I don`t wash it much, but quick detail (using final inspection) at least once a week.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the car still looks great. It also resists dust, and beads water nicely.

So, count me in as a WOO believer.

Thread Information