Post Thanks / Like
    I had purchased a MB CLK 500 (Brilliant Silver) in the fall and with your advice got it looking great by using the Klasse products topped with P21S and maintaned with a QD.

Next month when we hopefully get above freezing is that about the time I should start the process all over? That will be at about the seven month mark.

And if the answer is yes is that the point where the Dawn wash routine kicks in?

Thanks Everyone.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Greetings from a very salty St Louis..

~One mans opinion / observation~

The answer to your question is both yes and no.

Prep the surface and re-apply Klass AIO / SG etc that would be the yes

Dawn, that would be the no-washing-up liquids should not be used on vehicles bodywork as their concentrated detergent and usually high sodium content will remove polish / wax and dry out the protective oils from the paint film, rubber and vinyl surfaces, Generally avoid the use of household cleaning products for automotive detailing as they are formulated for an entirely different type of cleaning.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

.....Generally avoid the use of household cleaning products for automotive detailing as they are formulated for an entirely different type of cleaning.

Absolutely!

I fully detailed my mother`s Tahoe a few months ago, and I almost fainted when she told me she washed it with dish soap. If you wash your vehicle, wash it with some good auto wash soap, or QEW.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    See my understanding was that I wanted to strip that stuff off using the harsh detergent to start at base one.?

I use quality car wash detergent all the time though. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    A fellow St. Louisian! I hate this weather we are having, I don`t mind snow but this wintery mix is ridiculous. Be safe out there.

The AIO is a paint cleaner/polish, it will in fact remove any leftover wax on the paint. If you want to do a Dawn wash, then that is your personal decision. IMO, I don`t see much harm in doing it a couple of times a year, but I`m not a chemist so I have no "real" working knowledge to back that up. I guess if I use it daily to clean my plastic bowls and lids, and rubber sippee cup components without any harm it can`t be too bad. But, having said that, I still don`t use it on my car. :nixweiss
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: See my understanding was that I wanted to strip that stuff off using the harsh detergent to start at base one.?

~One mans opinion / observation~

I think it was Zanio who recommended it be used to prep a car before using his product that started this urban legend.

But it seems that people think that’s how you prep all vehicle’s before you detail them, try a pre-wax cleaner or Prep Sol (besides the harm that’s done there are lot’s of products the Dawn won’t remove anyway)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay..thanks for the input folks. I will just do a good wash with my sonus and start with the AIO. I love that stuff.

p.s. Macgirl...where are you in St Louis..Im at Scott Air Force Base.

Post Thanks / Like
    St. Charles County, actually.
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there, Nebraska99, greetings from another Autopian in the state of Misery ... errrrr... I mean "Missouri." :wavey Trust me, the crapola we`ve suffered in these past few weeks have thoroughly destroyed our pitiful wax. Maybe we still have some Klasse left.

My plan for the Klasse`d Benz is: another good wash, a good claying, polish if necessary, then back to AIO & SG ... IF spring ever comes. (And, at this point, I ain`t bettin` on it.)

Thread Information