Thread: Water beading

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new 2004 Oxford White Mustang, I waxed it about 2 weeks ago, I`ve washed it a couple of times since then and its rained on it about 3-4 times. I noticed today that the water is`nt beading up, is that normal. Im using Meguiars and Mothers products. Is there a product that will be slick and cause water beading for more than 2 weeks.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, nice to see a fellow `Stanger

What specifically did you use?? I would give Meguiars NXT Tech Wax a try, it should be showing up in WalMart and local auto parts stores by now.

NXT has been on my GT for almost 3 weeks now. Just rained today and it is still beeding very nicely and feels slick as the day I applied it. You can find more pics of my Mustang in my sig below.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One mans opinion / observation~

What most people attribute to a film surface protection being functional is the visual indicator of water beading on the paint film surface. However, all water beading proves is that high surface tension is present, just because a product creates high surface tension, (water beading / sheeting) does not mean the coating is actually providing real and meaningful protection. (See adherence, bonding and cross-linking) The down side of ‘water beading’ is that it will cause chemical etching, due to the water bead creating a magnifier for the suns rays if they are left to dry on the paint film surface.

Another down-side is that manufacturers know that to the public ‘water beading’ means that the product is ‘working’, and the easiest / cheapest way to accomplish it is to add silicone.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    The product doesn`t cause surface tension. The product is either wetting or non-wetting (polar or non, respectively). Now, if something is dissolved into the water (soap, etc) or rain, or if there is some film on the surface (dirt or sap) then you could get standing non-beads. The term for something that affects the surface action in the water on your car is a surfactant. Detergents and soaps contain these.

If you`re using carnuba, hey, it might be gone. It doesn`t last long.

Thread Information