Post Thanks / Like
    Last year I did my light blue (single stage paint) 57 chevy with the FI II, AIO (2 coats), SG (5 coats) and topped with S100.

Came out great! I got a spot of cleaner on the car and took a mist of QD and a terry cloth towel to get it off. Noticed that it didn`t spider web the paint. I decided to do a quick test on lower quarter panel and took a little rougher towel and rubbed - a few light marks - much less than I expected. Really rubbed - same thing. Didn`t want to take it any further than that. Checked paint with bright light - looked ok.

I put 10 coats of Zymol (before coming to Autopia) on a black Vette and couldn`t touch a towel on the paint without leaving a mark. If I laid a towel on the hood and VERY lightly dragged it across the paint = spider web city.

I have been thinking about going straight NXT to do a compare but if SG is what was giving me the spider web protection, I going to stick with SG. It is great not having to worry about every little thing when it comes to the paint (hey its a 50 year old car, I got lots of other stuff to contend with).

Any thoughts Autopia waxologists?

I was also considering AIO/SG/UPP instead of S100. I noticed that S100 darkened light blue paint. Wondering if another topper might do better on light colored car.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    chrisfoot ... I don`t know if this has any bearing but I have been working on an aluminum heat shield for my engine compartment and after the final steps of polishing I added 2 layers of SG then the next day I knocked a container over on it and marred the finish. I decided to resand the area with 1000 and repolish. It took a few passes with the paper before I could feel it cut into the Aluminum ( which is a very soft alloy) so there is some indication of a hard layer laid down.

You also might want to look at MF towels if your current ones cause spiderwebbing.

Anyone want to try this on thier hood?
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Opinions vary on this, but *I* find the same thing- numerous layers of SG help prevent micromarring. And sometimees the micromarring I DO get is only in the SG.

*I* never found S100 (actually P21S) do do much darkening. P UPP does darken a little bit (not as much as BFII, a similar product), so I don`t know if you`d like it better in that regard. I`ve had good results with Meg`s #16 as a topper on light/medium blue. And it`s a "heavier" wax than S100, even MORE protection against marring, and beading you wouldn`t believe. Sorta "self cleaning" too, dirt doesn`t stick to it. I really like it over SG, but note that *IMO* any wax topper might darken the SG a little bit. Wax just isn`t as optically clear as SG.

I know I previously pushed a totally different regimen for your car, but if the SG is protecting it from marring, maybe you`d be smart to stick with it :xyxthumbs

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use SG primarily in the winter for the protection value and the durability. I did notice the first year after switching from just waxing the car often in the winter to SG that in the spring I had fewer swirls to clear up from the ice and snow. Of course, that first winter I had like 30 coats of SG on there. :lol I still think that its an excellent product. Many of the swirls I did pick up over the winter went away when I stripped off the SG. That leads me to believe that the swirls were in the SG and not the paint. Either way, I think SG is a very durable product that I will continue to use on cars that require that extra protection and are willing to sacrifice the little appearance edge that other products may give it. You can always top with something like S100 to get that edge back.

One of the reasons S100 may have made the blue appear darker is because anytime you put something with oils on your paint it is going to darken it. Kind of like when you get a blue shirt wet. The wet area looks darker than the dry area. That is kind of what putting a wax on your car will do. It`s actually not a bad thing. The darker things get means the more they are going to reflect. That`s why certian waxes look so awesome on red or black. If it can darken the paint even a little then the difference is amazing. That may not be the look you are going for on your car, but its kind of unavoidable if you are going to use a wax or a glaze.

Even AIO will darken the paint slightly as I experienced on the hood of this Expedition. You may or may not be able to see it, depending on the resolution of your screen, but there is a line down the center of the hood that shows the difference. THe AIO side is the side with the bottle on top.

Its not much of a difference, but its there. Most products will do something similar to that to your paint. Like I said before, its not necessarily a bad thing. It makes the car reflect more and it does improve the appearance.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    chrisfoot,

You said that " if I laid a towel on the hood and very lightly dragged it across the paint= spider web city." What type of towels are you using that would cause spider webs so easily? I don`t think you would have that problem with good quality MF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I think it was the dozen coats of Zymol I put on. Everything that touched it left a mark. Turned out to be a real problem.

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Were the swirls just in the Zymol then? Which wax were you using? Sounds like you had a lot of build up on the car. Wax does mark up pretty easy so if you had that many layers then it could explain it.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the swirls were just in the wax. It`s hard for me to imagine scratching your paint with no pressure on the towell enen if it a crappy towell.JMO

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think ths SG is thick or hard enough to prevent any real swirls from forming. However, the slickness is more likely to allow the dirt to wipe or blow off easily, reducing the tendancy to produce swirls.
    Black Mustang GT

Thread Information