My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    With it being in the 20`s here, I`ve been using the $1 wand wash to keep the salt off instead of QEW.

I`m try to decide to spend $1 to just rinse with water or spend $2 to wash with whatever soap they use first then rinse with water.

There`s pros/cons to each so what`s your vote?

The soap obviously cleans better but could be too harsh??? btw, my car is wearing Zaino for the winter...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find a touchless wash up there in Belleville I would use that. I use the touchlesses by me all the time and they rock! I always make sure to get the underbody sprays as well.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Coin-op wand wash, just rinse or rinse and soap?

~One man’s opinion /observations~

As long as the temp is below freezing the salt/chemicals are basically inert (its only by adding water does salt become acidic) so as long as you use plenty of water to get the salt off (+ soap your choice) Just remember that most car-wash places re-circulate the washing water, point is you could be taking off salt but adding a salt solution (food for thought)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some recycle the water?

Good thing I know the three owners of the three car washes around me and was there while they were gettign built! I know their water goes to the drain and then out to the sewers.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT-

I asked and the coin-op place I use does NOT recycle water. They pointed to a 10` diameter metal cover on the ground I assume is their drain or whatever.

2001civicex-

Also, the touchless is $6 with a blow dry and undercoat spray, kinda pricey since I clean my car off every week. Plus they probably DO recycle water, thus another reason not to go there.

My main question is if the soap they use there will contribute to stripping of Zaino (or clearcoat off my wheels!).
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have no problem with it stripping clearcoat or wax. However, I have never used Zaino so I don`t know.

I take my cars to them all the time with no problems. Even in the summer I take my cars there when I am feelign lazy and no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just nervous cause the last car I bought had clearcoat failure on the wheels and someone said it could be due to too many car washes or harsh chemicals...:nixweiss

I guess there are 2 schools of thought:

-the soap is real harsh so "regular people" successfully get their car clean easily or

-the soap is mild so there are no alligations their soap caused long term damage to any cars that develop paint issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Your wheels probably had crappy quality. I know Konig`s are the worst wheels when it comes to clear failure. Ford wheels are about the same. What type of wheels?

And if you are affraid of the soap being to harsh here is a little secret....most places add less product to the soap/water ratio to save on the cost of product.

Post Thanks / Like
    They were aftermarket ROH five spokes 17x9.5 on my old 94 Mustang. They were damaged when I bought the car so the cause of the failure is only speculation on my part.

Unless anyone else says the soap is potentially harmful, I guess I`ll use soap and then rinse well.

I`m so cheap, I put in $1 and it runs for 3 minutes.

I`ll run the soap for 1 minute, turn the knob, and then rinse for 2 minutes
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    See, you are cheap and I hate the cold, that is why I use the touchless.....plus it dries it off for me too.

:lol

Post Thanks / Like
    See it costs $2.50 to run the wand for 3 minutes here

The soaps in those are similar to the soaps in a touchless wash, and they MAY be harsh and they MAY strip the Zaino. IMO soaping the surface without touching it will do little for the dirt, I`d just rinse it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GoodnClean

See it costs $2.50 to run the wand for 3 minutes here

The soaps in those are similar to the soaps in a touchless wash, and they MAY be harsh and they MAY strip the Zaino OVER TIME. One wash isn`t going to do it but in my experience it cuts the longevity in half when done regularly. IMO soaping the surface without touching it will do little for the dirt, I`d just rinse it.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a 5.00 `unlimited time` place in town. I bring my own bucket/soap/towels. I always wipe it down. I wear heavy rubber gloves so my hands don`t freeze. Then I drive home to my pre-heated garage for the final touch up. Life is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I soak the car with soap using no preasure on the trigger. Then I proceed with more pressure. I apply a coat of meguiars #20 on my last wash in the fall and hope it lasts.

Certainly isn`t the ideal solution but such is life,either that or leave the salt and sand on until march/april.
    2001 Tornado Red Jetta Wolfsburg

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wifehatescar

I`m just nervous cause the last car I bought had clearcoat failure on the wheels and someone said it could be due to too many car washes or harsh chemicals...:nixweiss

I guess there are 2 schools of thought:

-the soap is real harsh so "regular people" successfully get their car clean easily or

-the soap is mild so there are no alligations their soap caused long term damage to any cars that develop paint issues

Wand washes use harsh soap but I don`t hink harsh enought yo hurt the clear but enought to degrade the wax. Zaino will stand up to it better than Carnuba.

Clear failure on wheels could have been from winter sand/rocks starting then salt finishing the job. The braking heat heats the wheels , melts the snow , dissolves the salt and helps the process along. We see a lot of that up here. I run my stock VW alloys all winter and no probs .. but they are washed weekly.

IMHO.. just use the rinse water but LOTS of it to flush the salt your now dissolving and activating.

I use the wand weekly .. I rinse till its done then using my own water/soap/mitt I wash the car then rinse again and dry if possible.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Thread Information