97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    About how long can salt remain on a vehicle before the salt will start damaging the paint? Also, does temperature play into this? I`ve had salt on my vehicles for about 2 weeks now, as it`s been too cold to wash them. I`m getting concerned about what affect this is having on the paint. Having said that, someone said that as long as the temperature stays below 32 degrees the salt won`t eat or damage the paint. Is this true?

The above could probably start another topic about washing in the cold. What would people prefer: use no soap and just rinse the salt off with water and don`t dry, (this will give water spots, and I don`t want them getting etched into the clear,) or do nothing and just leave the salt on your vehicle.

I don`t have a heated garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    the people are saying the salt is "inert" until temps go above freezing. It causes me tremendous pain/anxiety to see the cars this way..well, at least my own cars. :p

I hope to be able to wash today. Temps are supposed to approach 25F and a little warmer tomorrow. I still like to wash even if I know it`s gonna snow in the next day or two. Leaving that mess on the paint for weeks on end seems to permit it to bond to the surface leaving the surface rough.

I rinse thoroughly outside and then move the car to the garage (heated) where I wash...car goes back outside for a final rinse and then back in the garage where I open all doors and let it dry.

If you can`t get any heat when it`s this cold, you can`t wash the car...everything just freezes up and you have one giant mess.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom P.,

I like that idea of bringing the car inside the garage to lather up and then rinse outside. How wet does your garage floor get? (Sorry to hijack the thread)

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    unfortunately, im in that boat where my car is covered in salt, dirt, and snow bc of the stupid cold winter and it never stops snowing or freezing here(hasn`t got above 32 in 3 weeks).
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Thread Information