97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well? Give me your input, and tell me why you use the method that you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn`t really matter. The main reason people suggest the straight back and forth motion is that if you introduce scratches while applying straight scratches are less obvious than circular scratches.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: applying polish/wax, do you use back and forth motion or circular when using by hand?

~One man’s opinion / observations~

As with all detailing tasks applied to a paint film surface, everything in a straight-line motion, avoid circular movements that could contribute to swirl marks

You might want to try this, apply to vertical surfaces roof to floor and then left to right, on horizontal surfaces bumper to trunk and then left to right, over-lapping panels to ensure complete coverage. This application technique affects the paints optical properties by optimising light refraction and the reflectivity of the bodylines and contours of the vehicle.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a firm believer in side to side, circular motions are a *****, especially when using an abrasive paint restoration product. Some shocking swirls.

Really, circular motion is old school and i wouldn`t dare use that method on today`s cars
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using circular motions does NOT cause swirls. If you have a foreign object in your applicator either method will cause a scratch. If you are careful and frequently check your applicator either method is fine. As I stated earlier the main reason people suggest the straight line back and forth method is that if you do cause a scratch it will be less obvious. I don`t see how the optics could be affected by method of application. I know a couple of manufacturers mention that Zymol and Zaino off the top of my head but, how would the layperson measure that and has anyone done so?

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good points so far. I was just curious because when people use a rotary or da, these products spin in a circular motion. I was just wondering if people do the same when applying by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by III

Good points so far. I was just curious because when people use a rotary or da, these products spin in a circular motion. I was just wondering if people do the same when applying by hand.

THAT is the point I usually make when participating in these "which motion" threads. The machines do NOT go front-back, and they do (at least) as nice a job as anyone working by hand.

Marring is marring, whether circular or straight, whether caused by contamination or by harsh products. It`s all just scratches in the paint. The point is to remove marring (by using increasingly fine abrasives, to the point where they don`t leave any marring of their own that you can see) and not reintroduce it (by not scratching/swirling the paint by abrading it). The direction is NOT a factor in whether or not the marring occurs. That`s a matter of the softness of the paint vs. the hardness of whatever is touching it. The direction DOES NOT MATTER when it comes to whether the marring is there, though it DOES make a little difference in how noticeable it is.

As far as "some products should be used up-down on sides, front-back on horizontal surfaces", etc. I`ve never heard an objectively convincing argument to support that. It`s not like the products dry in some "directional" way, that makes them reflect in one certain direction but not another

I REALLY don`t mean to sound like I`m flaming or otherwise :nono

:argue the people who say "front to back", but *IMO* it`s just not logically supportable. Sorry that sounds so harsh.. I`m probably coming across as pretty contentious.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m agreeing with the last few posts - if you`ve got perfectly clean paintwork and perfectly clean applicators then whatever direction you polish/wax you won`t get scratches or swirls.
    My name`s Craig...

...and I`m addicted to detailing!

Thread Information