Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: UK Question

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I was asking if you used your PC/Makita was that I wasn`t sure if you used them to get the initial shine and then kept it up by hand but obviously if you have got a tool to make life easier you would use it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Speed can be a bit difficult to compare when looking at different RO`s - one reason some choose the PC is that you can get a lot of help here - anything else and you are on your own! If you are looking for alternatives then I can only advise that you try and make sure that the machine has low speed settings.

The wood test was the one I was thinking of. I think it was useful, not for the wood but for the feel and handling of the different machines. For example, here you sometimes see new PC owners complaining about the vibration (I don`t think its bad), whereas the Makita on forced rotation is quite smooth. On the other hand the Makitas extra size and weight will make it harder to use on a long job.

Whether you use the PC much once you have eliminated the swirls etc is largely a function of the products you use. I like using Autoglym SR and EG followed by a topper such as S100. I currently do all that by hand, but some like to apply the SR by PC (and I will try that at some point). Products like S100 would be fairly pointless to apply by machine.

My daily driver is a volvo estate so there are large areas of flat panels which are perfect for machine application, but even so there are plenty of places that can only be done by hand. By hand only is perfectly possible, but like many before me I tried by hand but one session with the PC taught me the error of my ways!

It seems an expensive thing to do but you will be saving a lot of time (and detailing can wipe out your whole weekend). I was reading recently on a metalworking forum where the issue of buying expensive equipment was being discussed and the general concensus was that the best route was to buy expensive then use the equipment for paid jobs to recoup the investment.
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    I still do hand applications quite alot...... Many people will say that the PC helps cut down on application time but, I seem to find myself being even more of a perfectionist than usual. If I`ve only got a couple of hours (or a stonking hangover......Which is more likely! ), then I do by hand. If I`ve got half a day or more to kill then I`ll break out the PC........

Could well be a PC day tomorrow...... Picking up the new toy . All that lovely Midnight Purple paintwork to play with!

Cheers .

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Alex Creasey

Picking up the new toy . All that lovely Midnight Purple paintwork to play with!

Cheers .

That was fast Alex.......so come on.....whatcha got????? and don`t forget the pics

Sorry to hijack
    2005 MINI Cooper S

Pepper White, Black roof and mirrors

Post Thanks / Like
    You will not regret buying a PC or similar machine. In comparison to the value of your car or what a full service will cost, it is very good value for money.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showp...papass=&sort=1

Can`t wait to get the PC out now!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    :shocked :shocked :shocked

PC ......nah thats shiney enuff mate :bounce

Looks great Alex.........I`m not jelous at all.........well not much..........ok I am
    2005 MINI Cooper S

Pepper White, Black roof and mirrors

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex, you naughty boy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your replys,I will maybe bite the bullet and get one in the spring but right now I will just have to continue to do things by hand.Nice car Alex!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can afford to order a PC soon, you will strongly benefit from the very good exchange rate for the US$. The other things to think about is what type of transformer you want. I would also start to order some pads and machine polish so your ready once the PC arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car Alex:up

I guess I`ll wait till the weather warms up before commiting to a RO machine.

Though I might try my std single speed B&D on my Father in laws car. its quite old with alot of scratches anyway, dont think that I can make it any worse. It would settle in my mind whether 10000 opm is too fast & would do damage.

Just have to convince him
    Silver Grey BMW E60

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont forget it is not just the speed, the type and quality of the pads is also very important. I tried some pads which I bought from Machine Mart for a few pounds. These did a very good job of introducing new marks on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to get some meg pads as they seem to be that only easily avilable pads here that are recommended. Any suggestions for a swirled up blue rover metro
    Silver Grey BMW E60

Post Thanks / Like
    Lake Country pads may be another option. Although I can`t remember the outcome if they were actually available or not. The UK listings thread may have the answer to that.

For the Metro.... Well everyone will always say start with the least aggresive polish first, and most people as you will read seem to have alot of success with either DACP or #9 SMR. Maybe give one of those a go....Wouldn`t go any more aggresive than say DACP to start though.

Cheers.

Sorry to of Hi-jacked the thread a little earlier .

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still waiting for a response for the Lakes pads from the UK distributer. Alex, as a trade buyer maybe you could be more successful.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information