Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: UK Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do they make the larger transformers then as they seem to be superfluous if your logic is correct?

I was recommended a 1000watt tranny for the PC as 500watts doesn`t have enough heardroom.

1991 Mercedes 190E 2.0 Auto Smoke Silver 64K miles

1997 Mazda MX5 1.8 Harvard Concours Condition 10K miles

2006 VW Golf MKV 1.9 TDi SE Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot fault the logic and at 29 pounds, it is as cheap as chips. I suspect the higher wattage would be related to the amps pulled during the switch on phase when it is probably a lot more than 3.7 amps. I also read somewhere that most converters are designed to run between 60 & 75% only for continuous periods so the choice of a 1000w supply is a lot safer than a 500w.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do they make the larger transformers then as they seem to be superfluous if your logic is correct?

Well Im just talking about the requirements for the PC. There are thousands of other usages for "industrial" sized transformers which come with dual sockets in order to run two tools at once (load in parallel) and over 3KVA of load potential. Many tools have more load requirement than the PC.

The transformer I showed in the link has a max load of 2KVA. Hardly weedy !

Considering I will at most, be running the PC continuously for 30mins at any time, I still fail to see a reason to buy an industrial sized transformer.

I posed the same question to CoastalTools earlier today, along with the link to the transformer in mind, and got a reply from Todd stating that the transformer in question would be fine for use with the PC.

As far as I can see, this transformer, combined with an american style extension cable seems to be all that would be required. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to order a PC!

Good research on the transformer.

Dont overlook buying a PC from Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like
    suspect the higher wattage would be related to the amps pulled during the switch on phase when it is probably a lot more than 3.7 amps

okay, so if Im remembering my phsyics were talking about "paper amps" (saftey margins). Ok, hypothetically, lets say that for a split second, on startup, the PC draws TWICE the amount of watts that its rated for:

nominal = 444w

brief startup draw = 888w

So the math is 888/120 = 7.4 amps (double the 3.7amp nominal rating)

So the extension cable needs to be able to handle 7.4amps - well I cant think of a cable that doesnt. Plus, as were safe, weve put a circuit breaker on the extenstion, so the PC is never going to get hurt - and more importantly neither are we

What more is there to figure out ?

Post Thanks / Like
    **Update**

Ok, I got the plug/converter that I linked to a few posts up. Took about 4-5 days to ship (distributor is in holland iirc).

Plugged it into the wall, plugged the PC into it, looked up at the sky saying a few "hail marys" and switched the PC on

It worked :bounce

the convertor comes in a pouch with several plug ends so that you can plug your appliance into it wherever you are in the world- so it will come in handy for holidays as well

hope it doesnt rain tomorrow :xyxthumbs

will

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent news :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s an excellent find UK-will, I think I`m going to put my order in as well, bought my PC last month in the U.S. I`ve been waiting a while to buy the transformer due to cost.

Can anyone answer this: I also bought a U.S. 110 volt extension lead, and it has a 3rd prong for earth. Looking at the transformer from Sharper Image it has a socket for only two prongs. Therefore is it okay for me to remove the 3rd prong from the extension lead with pliers so I can plug it into the transformer? Also the PC doesn`t use earth, so does it matter much?

Originally posted by uk-will

**Update**

Ok, I got the plug/converter that I linked to a few posts up. Took about 4-5 days to ship (distributor is in holland iirc).

Plugged it into the wall, plugged the PC into it, looked up at the sky saying a few "hail marys" and switched the PC on

It worked :bounce

the convertor comes in a pouch with several plug ends so that you can plug your appliance into it wherever you are in the world- so it will come in handy for holidays as well

hope it doesnt rain tomorrow :xyxthumbs

will

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone answer this: I also bought a U.S. 110 volt extension lead, and it has a 3rd prong for earth. Looking at the transformer from Sharper Image it has a socket for only two prongs. Therefore is it okay for me to remove the 3rd prong from the extension lead with pliers so I can plug it into the transformer? Also the PC doesn`t use earth, so does it matter much?

hmm I know this isnt exactly answering the question, but I just went to B&Q and bought a standard 25M Extenstion Reel which had a circuit breaker attached, for £15. It has 2 UK sockets on the centre of the reel.

I plug the attached circuit breaker into the main wall socket, run the extension out to the car, and plug the convertor into one of the two sockets on the centre of the reel, and the PC into the converter. Job done

Like you said, the pc is a 2-pin device anyhow, so you could remove the 3rd prong if you wished.

cheers

will

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless anyone else says otherwise I`m just going to pull off the earth prong on my extension lead.

I just placed my order for the dual watt converter. Anyway hope you do a full detail before I do, then you can let us know if anything goes pop!

Derek

hmm I know this isnt exactly answering the question, but I just went to B&Q and bought a standard 25M Extenstion Reel which had a circuit breaker attached, for £15. It has 2 UK sockets on the centre of the reel.

I plug the attached circuit breaker into the main wall socket, run the extension out to the car, and plug the convertor into one of the two sockets on the centre of the reel, and the PC into the converter. Job done

Like you said, the pc is a 2-pin device anyhow, so you could remove the 3rd prong if you wished.

cheers

will

Post Thanks / Like
    Just of out of interest, what pads have you guys ordered?

Post Thanks / Like
    just bloody typical...

just finished a 4-hour session (used the PC for the first time), and the frickin heavens open up...

today I did:

wash

clay (meguiars + qd)

poorboys pwc

ssr2 (by hand on a couple of spots)

EX-P (only time for 1 coat)

I clayed straight after the wash, using half of the clay that came with the meguiars kit. Couldnt believe how discoloured it was at the end :shocked smooth as a babys butt now though - dont know what the neighbours must have thought seeing me with my hands all over the car checking the clay job I had just done !

used the PC on 5 for the pwc - had to use the foam pad that came with the unit as Alex was out of stock when I went round to buy goodies yesterday. Seemed to work ok for me - no falling apart or whatnot that Ive read about elsewhere.

the ssr2 worked really well (and by hand with a terrycloth applicator) - easily removed water stains and some pollen that had stuck to the clearcoat. Im looking forward to trying this with the PC as I think it worked really well with just elbow grease. I think this could be the DACP for cars that dont need something as harsh.

EX-P - went on real easy, and came off easier did it by hand as I couldnt be arsed to change the pad over as I had the screw in one in and left the spanner indoors.

must say it looks much better than when I picked it up from the dealers when I bought it :xyxthumbs

the converter plug worked fine, so you should be ok with yours

Alex reckons he`ll have some new pads in this week, so Im ordering 2 polishing pads to go with my finishing pad that I got yesterday (pads are meguiars ones)

now It looks like im gonna have to QD the frickin thing again during the week thanks to that downpour...

typical english sodding weather !

will

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Can anyone answer this: I also bought a U.S. 110-volt extension lead, and it has a 3rd prong for earth. Looking at the transformer from Sharper Image it has a socket for only two prongs. Therefore is it okay for me to remove the 3rd prong from the extension lead with pliers so I can plug it into the transformer? Also the PC doesn`t use earth, so does it matter much?

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The US electrical system is 110V as opposed to 240Volt UK; they do not provide a ground (earth) connection with most of their electrical appliances. But then 110v is a slight jolt; 240V is a ‘throw you across a room’ jolt. I would try to ground (earth) the PC and use a GFI if at all possible, especially if used outdoors

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought:

2 Orange pads

2 White pads - One of which looks like it`s been sliced up, I forget the exact name for it.

1 Grey pad (finishing)

Originally posted by Lowejackson

Just of out of interest, what pads have you guys ordered?

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear it`s all worked okay, would`ve been a pain if I had to cancel my order for that transformer.

You`ll have to post some pictures in Click & Brag once you are finished with QD`ing tomorrow.

It always rains after I wash my car. To make matters worse the car lives outside and is surrounded by three walls so it never gets wet properly. That means nasty dusty marks everywhere. :nixweiss

My paint is pretty bad, parts of it need a respray. In order to make the best of it until I can afford that, I plan to DACP, #9, Super Resin, and then NXT. All I need now is the transformer and my sister`s driveway for a dry afternoon. I will for no rain the day before I start.

just bloody typical...

just finished a 4-hour session (used the PC for the first time), and the frickin heavens open up...

today I did:

wash

clay (meguiars + qd)

poorboys pwc

ssr2 (by hand on a couple of spots)

EX-P (only time for 1 coat)

the converter plug worked fine, so you should be ok with yours

Alex reckons he`ll have some new pads in this week, so Im ordering 2 polishing pads to go with my finishing pad that I got yesterday (pads are meguiars ones)

now It looks like im gonna have to QD the frickin thing again during the week thanks to that downpour...

typical english sodding weather !

will

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information