Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Now, before you all start with the "Coin ops are the work of the devil" speech, let me say that I already know how horrible they are, I`ve been lurking around Autopia for a while now. The only reason I want to go to a coin op is to use the high pressure sprayer on the underside of my car to get off all the road salt.

You guys from nicer climate areas have NO IDEA how bad the road salt is in the northeast with the snowstorms we get. Right before the latest blizzard started tonight, the road surface was LITERALLY white from all the road salt (The roads here are blacktop, they`re normally black as night). I stressed literally because I mean REALLY white. Not off-white, not grayish-white, but white like a wedding dress.

I`ve never seen a coin op car wash around NYC so if anyone can tell me where there is one I would greatly appreciate it (I`ll even trek out to Long Island since I live in Queens). Just let me know the closest coin op that you know of

Post Thanks / Like
    Where In Queens are you... I`m in Maspeth. Anyway, there is one around here... on the LIE service road, there is Sunoco gas station... just get off at exit 19 West and follow the service road towards Maurice Ave.

-Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in Ozone Park, but Maspeth is close enough for me, I`m there all the time (Ivarone Bros ).

Are you talking about the gas station on the corner of Maurice and the LIE (Across the street from the park)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Sorry I wasn`t able to respond earlier, my DSL has been down for the past few days.

Anyway, yes, Iavarone is great. The Gas station I`m talking about is about 2 blocks from Iavarone, right by Squad 288. When you get to the corner of 69 St and Grand, turn on the LIE service road going west, heading towards Maurice Ave. It`s a Sunoco Station. I am not sure if they`re coin op is open now, since it`s been below freezing lately. The other gas station you mentioned is no more, by the way.

-Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    The gas station I was thinking of is the Amoco on the corner of the LIE and Maurice Avenue (Diagonal from the McDonalds on the other side of the LIE) It`s still being used, not sure which gas station you were refering to...

Anyway, I found the Sunoco you were talking about, but only the gas pumps were open. There`s a car wash in there? I guess you pull in, use the wash, and then reverse back out? It looked like the service garages that mechanics use.

Just to clarify, when I said coin-op, I meant the sorta self-serve places where you put in the quarters and get a few minutes use of a high pressure water hose that also shoots out soapy water. It`s sometimes called a "touchless" car wash. This Sunoco has that?

Post Thanks / Like
    At the sunoco, it`s outside. I swear it`s there, I`ve used it about a year ago. I`ll pass by there again tomorrow, it should be on the corner.

-Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I found it! FYI: it wasn`t open. The hose is there, but it`s a solid chunk of ice. Thanks for the help!:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that`s what I figured. If you find one let me know. It`s too cold right now to wash my car, and I don`t wanna go to a car wash. I`m thinking about going to one of those hand wash places, I know there is one on Woodhaven Blvd. across the street from the cementary around Home Depot, I might check that place out, the car is getting really dirty. They advertise in big letters that they use clay and glaze, so by the sound of that, they may know what they`re doing. Not that I want to have them clay or glaze my car, I just want a wash, but just using that terminology at a car wash impresses me.

-Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Fellow New Yorker here. I feel the pain as my green Volvo is now white but it may be better to wait till we get a few days above freezing. From past readings you can cause micro cracks in your paint job if you mate above freezing temp water with a paint finish which is below freezing. I don`t think we`ve seen above freezing for 4 weeks now.

It may be worth waiting a week or two more and hope we get a day around 40 degrees.

my 2
    As Soon As I saw That Guys Cars Dirty I Knew He Was Going To Be A Failure! Donald Trump - The Apprentice

Post Thanks / Like
    Next Friday its forcasted to be 46F!!!!!!!

Its been a long Long few weeks here lately

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see so many Tri State area people here. I would never clean below freezing, it`s just too cold and uncomfortable, call me a panzy or whatever, but it`s just not me... hehe. Can`t wait for that 46 F.

-Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think it`s a good idea to wash your car when it`s below freezing out anyway. Take a look at what happened to this guy: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=727390

I broke down and went to home depot to buy this: Husky Power Washer. Can`t wait for that 46F weather to try it out!

EDIT: Fixed Home Depot link

Post Thanks / Like
    that forcast was bunk, now its looking like 34F....

I think they do that on the long range forcast just to give us hope

Post Thanks / Like
    Richspidizzy, for some reason none of those links work. I`m guessing that you bought a pressure washer. I personally wouldn`t use one on my car, except other than wheel wheels and engine, and I`d still be a little worried about damage, because I`m still unexperienced. On the body, it can do serious damage. Just keep in mind, be careful. Did you buy the electric one? I was looking at that one at the Northern Blvd Home Depot (If you`re looking for S100 caranuba wax, you can get it at the harley dealer about 5 blocks from there) and I may buy it, or maybe that gas model for like 270 dollars, I forget the manufacturer.

Yes the forecast isn`t too good, those forecasts are just a con I think, maybe to bring up ratings... hehe.

-Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    The corvette site seems to be having a bit of difficulty and I fixed the home depot link.Keep checking the corvette link, though, it`s pretty funny.

Yes, I bought a pressure washer. I got it essentially for doing the wheel wells and the undercarriage (Get all that nasty salt and grime off) But I`ll use it for the body also. It`s only 1650 PSI and I think I can handle it without too much difficulty. As long as you are aware of the damage it can do and how it`ll do it, you can avoid doing any damage. I`d be more worried about the damage that I`d do if I tried to remove caked on salt and grime by hand. I don`t care how good your shampoo lubricates or how soft your chenille/chamois wash mitt is, Your gonna scratch your finish trying to get that stuff off by hand.

I was actually looking into buying the S100, thanks for the heads up! I think it`s great that its the same exact thing as P21S but significantly cheaper.

BTW, the name`s Rich. Spidizzy is an old high school nickname:up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information