Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused..

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently start learning about the AIO and SG. Now I`m confused on the steps when these are apply. My usual step was wash - clay - polish - wax. Now that AIO and SG have added to my step, I assume it goes like wash - clay - polish - wax - AIO - SG?

Hence, AIO is paint cleaner and SG give the final gloss look?

Please correct me if I`m wrong..

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct. Clay as you wash or mix some QD and water to clay. If you do that you`ll have to wash again but that is ok. Many opinions on SG, I have found that you can wipe it off immediately just like the AIO.
    "I think my blood is a Carnauba Prototype"

Post Thanks / Like
    you don`t need to wax before using AIO, AIO will just take it back off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wash,clay,AIO,SG
    Ever see a Honda run a mid 11 at the track and then drive home to tell about it? Nope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wash, clay, compound/polish, AIO, SG x 3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh! Cool

so AIO and SG will pretty much replace the wax?

Also, I`m doing this on a new car and by hand, after reading several thread about "theating new paint", I suppose this is a good way to avoid getting swirl marks in the future? Should I apply this by hand or by PC? I`m afraid of using PC on a new paint and produce swirl marks..

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any merits of AIO x2?

I did a dawn wash, clay, AI0x2, SGx3, Carnuba x2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really any merit for Dawn wash or AIO x 2. Its a chemical cleaner so you just cleaned something thats already been cleaned by the same thing. AIO is going to remove any oils so the dawn was completely unnecessary, as it usually is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, AIO and SG replace the wax. But you can put wax after AIO and SG if you want, as an additional layer. You just can`t put AIO or SG on top of wax because it won`t bond properly.

Think of AIO as cleaner wax.

Think of SG as a very protective wax.

Think of wax topper as the final gloss (optional).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jliao

Ahh! Cool

so AIO and SG will pretty much replace the wax?

Also, I`m doing this on a new car and by hand, after reading several thread about "theating new paint", I suppose this is a good way to avoid getting swirl marks in the future? Should I apply this by hand or by PC? I`m afraid of using PC on a new paint and produce swirl marks..

Thanks

Yeah, the Klasse twins replace the wax (unless you want to use a wax topper over the SG).

The PC shouldn`t cause any swirlmarks. Unlike a rotary polisher, it`s really just a "fast hand that doesn`t get fatigued". AIO is basically nonabrasive, so if the paint is cured (new car pant IS cured) then the PC won`t hurt anything. Even for polishing your new vehicle, *I* would just use the PC instead of doing it by hand.

Well, it won`t hurt anything as long as the vehicle is CLEAN (the claying and polishing should take care of that) and the PADS are clean and nothing abrasive (like dirt) gets between the pad and the paint while you`re doing it. Use VERY soft towels (like good MFs), and be careful when you wash, and you shouldn`t have much trouble with swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help guys! I`m ready to do my AIO/SG when it arrives!

One last question, something I read couple days ago. Some people use damped (need to be damped?) MF foam pad to apply AIO/SG. Does it have to be damped and MF foam? I got some Terry Cloth foam pad, I assume those will work as well?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    *I* use a damp applicator for AIO, dry for SG, but opinions/preferences vary. If you like, you can apply the AIO dry, too (I just did that yesterday). It is NOT a picky product.

The terry might NOT be the best idea. Some/most/all(?) cotton terrycloth has a bit of "cut" to it, and might induce marring (it`s sometimes used FOR this reason- to gently "abrade" paint). *I* would use either foam or MF. But no, it doesn`t HAVE to be MF covered foam.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I have a question because I know this question comes up alot and sometimes the answers vary so it confuses me a little bit each time I read them, I`m curious if the way I planned on using the products I own is correct.

Wash, clay, MenzaIntensive, AIO, SGx3, S100. Should I be using the Menza Polish after the Intensive, or does the AIO cancel that out? My cars all have new paint so is the Menza even necessary?

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s the working motion when applying AIO and SG? Front-Back or circular motion?

Thanks alot

Post Thanks / Like
    neoflex- I hesitate to comment on Menzerna`s polishes as I haven`t actually used them. But anyhow, *IF* you see marring (swirls, scratches, "cobwebs") then new or not, you oughta use a polish to remove/reduce them. If you do NOT see any marring, then there is no need to use a polish. If the Intensive leaves (fine, "micro-")marring of its own due to its abrasives, then you need to use something finer afterwards, like their Final Polish. The AIO will *NOT* remove any marring, it`s just a cleaner. So get all your polishing done BEFORE you go to the AIO.

Jliao- Doesn`t matter as long as your paint and the pad are free of abrasive contamination/dirt. *IF* there IS something there between your pad and the paint (or if your pad is dirty) and you DO get marring from it, then going front-to-back will minimize how noticeable it is. But if everything is as clean as it should be, you won`t get any marring anyhow so it won`t matter which motion you use. It`s like when people use a PC- IT sure doesn`t go fron-to-back, yet it doesn`t mar the finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information