Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a word right? I am wondering what type of products that you, the masses, would recommend for cleaning and eliminating swirling in the plastic bumper mouldings of a `01 MB ML 320. They are shiny and painted, rather that a flat matte finish. I currently use megs products on the paint, but haven`t ventured to use them on the bumber mouldings. Can a person do so safely and effectively?

Patrick
    Hmmmm, im not sure what a bumber is, but im gonna recommend something anyway....I dont see why you couldnt use a generic All Purpose cleaner, diluted of course to proper dilution ratios, and top with 303 Protectant....Now when you speak of "bumber" mouldings, im assuming your speaking of the black trim sometimes associated with them. 303 is a wonderful product for trim, others prefer Stoners trim products.....Either way your back in business....If its the painted portion, be careful not to use anything too abrasive, like a swirl mark remover. There ok, just dont go too agressive to start with. Start light and work your way up the abrasive ladder......

Post Thanks / Like
    If Patrick was correct about the raw plastic,than do yourself a favor and with the 303 make sure you wait about an hour after applying and the go back and buff it out. I learned this the hard way but fellow Autopians led me to

the correct path. I took it one step further and waited an hour after reapplying and then sprayed with Megs QD and then buffed, No more streaking after the rain like I got my first time out when I did not buff it. Good Luck and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    gusman- I`d first find out WHAT the bumper moldings are really made of or finished with. On my Audis, I`ve had the best results just treating them like PAINT, with polishes, sealants, etc. Found out (after an accident) that the black parts on Audi bumpers are only black to a certain depth, and that when they`re repaired/replaced, the black parts are just *painted* black..

This might work for you since you mentioned "swirls". Generally, the only way to remove swirls (on anything) is to use an abrasive polish. Just be sure to use something that WILL *NOT* leave white residue.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I understand, those alto grey bumpers are just painted like the rest of the car, it just happens to be in grey. My ml was a 01, so the bumpers were body colored. You may want to PM alboston, he has a 99 ml, and would be able to let you know for sure exactly what it is, 2 stage, 1 stage, etc.

If its painted like the rest of the car like I think, I would treat it like the rest of the car and polish and wax it like normal.

Thread Information