Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.cleanfreak.com/Qstore/p001151.htm

I found this while surfing around. It doesn`t seem to have a heat source. I was wondering if that was a huge difference in cleaning???

Post Thanks / Like
    To have or not to have a heating unit? That is the question!

Well the answer is: It depends on the types of cars you are doing. I use the Century 400 Spot cleaner which does not have a heating unit but then again I am not doing cars with horrible carpets either.

If you are doing dealer cars I would highly recommend an extractor that heats water up. I get by just using my extractor as a tool to inject clean rinsing water into mats and carpets I have pre-cleaned and lightly agitated and then extract the water bacl out.

Heated water helps to break up and emulsify grease and ground in dirt and aids in drying.

Hope that helps,

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Could I use an external source to heat up water before I put it in the extractor though? Or is that something that is totally absurd???

I am just using this winter session to practice/hone my skills and collect equipment that I will use this springtime, when I start my business. So, that means that I want to be prepared for any situation. Will this be something that I can use??

The way you explained your process sounds like something that I would probably be doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Do a web search on "water bucket heaters". Lots of guys use them.

Later,

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, other than having no heat source. Is this something that is a good buy?? Is this a "good for the price" thing or a "you get what you pay for thing"????

Post Thanks / Like
    The unit I use has worked perfect for my needs. It costs 5 bills, whichis not cheap, but for a high quality heated unit you may need to add another 4 to 5 bills or more.

If I need hot water I will just use my steam vaopr cleaner first to break down the grease or stain and then extract.

The unit I have is well made and I feel worth the expense, IMHO.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sorry. I meant to ask about the one that I found???

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never heard of that brand of extractor before but for someone that is just using it for a hobby it would be fine. The main thing I`ve noticed with using heated water is it helps the area dry faster. I`ve never really tested the cleaning ability of the hot water to see if it helps that much. I use a combination of a carpet cleaner and a spot treatment that works really well. Really the only thing I come across that is difficult to get out is red stuff.

The one thing about that unit is it only has a 2 gallon solution tank. For someone doing it as a hobby it`s fine but for a pro detailer you`ll be emptying and refilling it a good bit. On lightly soilded vehicles I`ll hardly using any water. Maybe 2 or 3 gallons. On vehicle with heavily soiled dirt though I`ll end up using 8 or 9 gallons of water.

As a rule of thumb when I go over an area spraying water I go over it 3 times just sucking the water up. My extractor can really pull a lot of the water out of the area. Another thing is when you do spray water down on an area don`t let it sit there. Spray it down and suck it up.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is that this is not a hobby. I am pursuing a business venture. I`m just taking this winter session to practice/hone my skills and purchase equipment that I will be using.

I`m not going to be going at this full-time. I`m starting this off light, like on weekends or 2-3 times a week, while I`m still keeping my dayjob and going to school.

So, I ask again. Is this something that is "good for the price" or "get what you pay for" material??? I have never bought a carpet extractor before, so I really value all of your opinions. But yet, I do want to save money as well.

I really need to know if these things are all pretty much built the same or it all depends on brand???

Thanks.

PS: Also what is the difference if I am using this for a hobby or a business???

Post Thanks / Like
    ttt

Thread Information