Thread: Design me a kit

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to make something like a Detailer`s gift basket to give to someone for their b-day.

Tell me what I should put in it, something for each detailing step.

I want this thing to be "the works".

thanks!
    Detailing... you can never get it top knotch perfect... this world is just too objective.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is there skill level? What level of detail do you want the person to obtain?

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?

Post Thanks / Like
    The works? Ok.

1. A good car wash, wash mitt, two buckets, and drying towels.

2. Some detailing clay and clay lube.

3. Micro Fiber towels 20 or more.

3. Polishes from compounds to Glazes.

4. Paint protectant.

5. Plastic, Rubber and tire protectant.

6. Glass cleaner & glass cleaning micro fiber towels.

7. Tire & wheel cleaner.

8. Carpet & Upholstery cleaner.

9. General purpose cleaner.

10. Metal polish.

11. Plastic polish.

12. Tire brushes, wheel brushes, interior brushes.

13. Wax and polish applicator pads.

14. 3M`s tar, wax, and grease remover solvent.

15. Quick Detail spray.

16. Porter Cable random orbit polishing machine + pads & backing plate, or a rotary polisher with pads.

17. Leather cleaner & protectant.

18. Convertible top cleaner and protectant.

19. Spray bottles, large and small.

20. Vacuum for interior.

21. Detal Apron.

22. 30x Magnifier.

For now that`s all i can think of.
    Andre`

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if you go to Target and get one of the Meguiars $15 kits, throw it in a nice bucket with some MF`s, an Absorber, and a mitt, you are well on your way.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Eric. We would need to know the skill and interest level of the person receiving the gift to make a good call.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    And, how much $$ do you want to spend.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Why dont you buy a kit already assembled, its cheaper to buy this way-if it`s what you are looking for. These two kits are great p21 better if their skill level is on the lower side. But Pinnacle is a better product.

http://www.autogeek.net/p21scarcarekit.html

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/pintotcarcar.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno, pre-prepared kits usually seem to have too much of one thing (like the Pinnacle PCL) as opposed to not enough of something else (like car wash shampoo and especially wheel cleaner). I`d put together something myself. Plus, that would have the "gee, I cared enough to..." aspect.

Unless you want to really go all-out with a list like Andre` suggested, I`d get just enough for a "regular person" to keep their ride looking better than "carwash level". I`ve put together kits for friends and relatives of all ages/levels of interest, and I`ve also gone shopping with them when they put together their OWN kits. I did something like the following for the (DEFINITELY non-Autopian) person to whom I sold my late father`s Audi:

I like Griot`s boar`s hair brushes, ESPECIALLY for non-Autopians. If only because they rinse clean (and they last for many years) no matter what you do to/with them. Not as gentle (or as affordable) as a mitt, but better for the casual user for those reasons.

A gallon of Gold Class is cheap and will last a long time.

A gallon of someone`s (bulk) wheel cleaner/general purpose cleaner and a sprayer, and a Griot`s boar`s hair wheel brush. Regular folks won`t replace a plastic-bristle brush before the flagged ends wear out and their wheels get scratched up.

Three buckets will allow for a dedicated wheel bucket and two for the wash. People tend to NOT get enough buckets if left to their own devices.

(at least) Two waffle weave MFs and a few regular MFs. I say "at least" because non-Autopians might keep using a WW after it gets dirty (or dropped) unless they have extras handy.

Interior cleaner that won`t destroy their interior (people might try using Comet or something if you don`t supply this).

Some vinyl/rubber treatment (and leather stuff if applicable) unless they already have something decent (many people do).

GOOD window cleaner!

A decent all-in-one paint product and some applicators. AIO, Autoglym`s SRP, even a good cleaner wax. MAYBE a long lasting, easy to use wax like Collinite or Meg`s #16 to top it with. The AIO or SRP/#16 combo has gone over VERY well with some folks I`ve given it to. Pick a wax that hides marring and "self cleans".

That is about all I`d suggest for "normal" people. Stuff like clay, paint polish, etc. is usually more than they really want to deal with. Stuff that makes for an easy, streamlined process, one that they won`t be overwhelmed by, will be more likely to get used. Products that they can replenish locally might KEEP them on the right track, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what i would get if the person is just going to use the package to do some regular maintenance - not really particular about products or putting in a lot of time:

1. Stoner`s invisible glass - Works great, available everywhere.

2. Meguiar`s Gold Class wax - Good on dark colors, available everywhere.

3. Meg`s #26 - Looks good on all colors, and you could throw in some #7 if the person is going to spend some time doing this. You can get both of these in an auto parts store (VIP, Autozone, Pep boys)

4. Foam applicators - I`ve never had a problem with meg`s yellow foam applicators.

5. A quality chamois drying towel.

6. 2 wash buckets.

7. Wash mitt

8. Car wash soap like Meg`s deep crystal or Mother`s - Meguiar`s if they have it.

9. 100% terry towels - get some microfiber instead if you want to order online and spend a little more money. There have been a few posts about quality microfiber at Costco. You are going to want to get as many terry towels/microfibers as you can buy.

10. Hoze nozzle with different stream options.

11. Wheel cleaner - Eagle One A2Z is good, or if you can`t find that i used to use some Black Magic stuff from Wall Mart that worked fine on most everything.

12. Whitewall cleaner - I use Whestley`s Whitwall Bleche - available at Wal Mart. You will also want to get a tire brush.

13. For the interior, #40 works great and can be found anywhere. For carpets, you can find a Prestone carpet spot cleaner in Wall Mart that worked fine for me when I used it.

I know I forgot some things, but that is what I could think of that you could get anywhere without ordering from the net. If this person is more involved in detailing, you are going to want to change some products out for others.

-FordTaurus

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for yur help... THey will be one happy person
    Detailing... you can never get it top knotch perfect... this world is just too objective.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m assuming this is for an entry level detailer w/o a pc or anything fance right now....

PRINTED INSTRUCTIONS on proper washing and drying and basic detailing techniques.

2 5 gal buckets

2 large MF or 100%cotton towels

2 wash mits

1 gal simple green or APC

1 gal bulk hi quality car wash

2-3 empty spray bottles

Armorall or 303

Meg`s endurace for wheels

A2Z for wheels

Eagle 20/20

Scratch X

3M SMR or 3M FCRC