Post Thanks / Like
    Are PCs really superior to all other professional dual action polishers, e.g. Makita, DeWalt, etc ...?
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO it is a good ballance of quality + usefulness and price. Recently, I`ve let myself wander to the tool section of most any store I`ve been in, and I`ve noticed that the PC really seems to be constructed more...rugged...than most other DA polishers.

Then again, most people can get away with throw-away cheap tools for the amount that they use them.

If it is superior, it isn`t my much, IMO.
    Yes, it floats my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are PCs really superior to all other professional dual action polishers

I was also under the impression that since the PC is an orbital as opposed to a rotary that the potential for damage to the surfacr by a novice user is reduced.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there`s some confusion here as to what is being talked about.

When we all refer to "PC" we are specifically referring to the Porter Cable Dual Action random orbital polisher in all its variants (7424, 7335, 7336, 7336SP, etc). This is ONE machine packaged differently from Porter Cable. To my knowledge no other company makes a machine like this. Other mfr`s may offer some sort of D/A polisher/sander but they`re not like the Porter Cable we all use on our cars.

As for rotary polishers, plenty of mfr`s offer them including Porter Cable, DeWalt, and Makita which are the three most popular brands for car detailers. But I think most every tool mfr sells a 7" direct drive machine that operates at low speeds (under 3000 rpm).

So make sure you understand what exactly is being discussed when talking about polishers for car detailing. The Porter Cable 7424 et al is a unique machine in this context.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bretfraz,

What makes the PC unique? Again, DeWalt and Makita offer dual action random orbital polishers, e.g. the DeWalt 443 and the Makita B06030.

Aren`t these random orbitals safe for the novice also?
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    I just think the PC has become popular because it is pretty easy to find (most local hardware stores have it in stock) and has a pretty good price. I believe they can be picked up for pretty close to $100.

I personally have the DeWalt DW443. It works just the same as the PC except it has a more powerful motor. It also doesn`t have as slow of a speed setting that the PC does but even when applying wax I don`t use my DeWalt at the slowest speed. It`s just too slow. It costs more than the PC though. I paid close to $200 for mine but have seen it for around $160 before.
    2005 F-150 Reg Cab Flareside 5.4L

Chemical Engineers: More refined than the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dewalt and makita are quality brands, but as mentioned by intel, they are more expensive. Comparing the PC to these brands gives the PC the edge because of its price and comparable quality.

The `PC is best` mentality started here when many members (myself included when I was a noob - thanks to Jason for setting me straight) posted threads asking if they could use a $40 Wen or craftsman buffer instead of the PC. Cheap a$$ buffers like those from wen and craftsman cannot hold the jockstrap of the pc. Most of those machines are one speed and their motors will bog down as soon as they touch your paint, rendering them useless. You may as well just use your hand.

So in summary. The PC is the best buy because it is equal in quality compared to more expensive DA buffers as well as being worlds better than any of the cheap DA buffers.

Bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NHBFAN

Bretfraz,

What makes the PC unique? Again, DeWalt and Makita offer dual action random orbital polishers, e.g. the DeWalt 443 and the Makita B06030.

Aren`t these random orbitals safe for the novice also?

What makes the PC unique is that it is configured to specifically polish auto paint. Both the DeWalt and Makita machines, while similar in basic design to the PC, are clearly marketed and sold as wood sanders. That doesn`t mean those machines cannot be used to polish cars (obviously, as other people are using them for this task) but it does mean that the machines are perhaps not optimized for car care.

Why spend close to $200 for a machine that doesn`t exactly do the job when you can spend about half that and get a machine that`s perfect for the job?
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Thread Information