it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello:

I would like to know what you guys think is a good waxing schedule for my truck. My truck is driven daily and only has a car cover to protect against rain and snow(the garage is filled wit tablesaws). I usually wash my truck every 3-4 weeks depending on how busy I am with school. Waxing is a different story. I plan on doing a 3 step process.. 1. Clay(Clay Magic), 2. Polish(Megs. #7), 3. Wax(P21S)about 2 times a year. In between this process I will just throw on a 1 step cleaner wax(prob mothers cleaner wax).. anyway I want to know how often I should use the cleaner wax on my truck??? Once a month or every 2-3 months. I wash my car quite often but really don`t wax to often and think I should wax more often. Well tell me what intervals are best for my truck. Also the few times that I did wax my truck i noticed my royal blue paint on my applicator pad. What exactly does this mean?? It happened like 2 or 3 times and besides being washed the paint really wasn`t preped(was still new at the whole detailing process). I am hoping afterward I clay this will stop happening. Well any ideas/suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Patrick
    JD...Let me offer a different plan for you since time is minimal....1st, I wouldnt even bother doing any routine maintenance until you have done at least a 3 step. (Some Autopians, time permitting, do 5 stepers, including me...)Anyhow...

Take your time and do your 3 step, then with every wash, use Eagle Ones, Wax as you Dry. That product will buy you time between waxes, its pretty decent stuff, honest, or if you have time, throw a coat of P21s/S100, I bet you could do the whole truck in 20 minutes (I can so I know you can, everyone is older than me) You really need to reseal ever season, or wax monthly. You mentioned blue on your pads, that my friend is oxidation. You need some protection, pronto ! As for cleaner wax, well, you can do better than that.....Seriously, do your three step, than your on top of things, you can get by with monthly waxing (20 minutes!!) or seasonal sealing (not much longer!)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my wax schedule:

-wax my truck every time the voices tell me to
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    In reply to Patrick I though the blue paint was from oxidation to. The thing I don`t understand is last time I waxed my truck in October I used the Mothers Ultimate Wax System(3 Phase), and the first phase was suppose to remove oxidation. After the first phase I still noticed blue paint on the applicator from the other 2 coats. Can this just be a bad product in removing oxidation or is it something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Make,Model and Year of Truck ?

I agree with others, spend the time to do a complete prep of the surface for topping with wax. Normal weekly washing and QD will keep it in good condition. If time is a problem prep and wax only a panel at a time each week. I use the Klasse AIO/SG and S100 topper on my Truck. The S100 is so easy to use waxxing really is not a problem.

Patrick
    JD, the residue wont stop until you have sealed the surface. What year is your truck ? We need to know what were dealing with there, and if indeed, it even has a clearcoat......

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for not providing that information prior to this post. It`s a 1994 GMC Jimmy.

Patrick
    Sounds like its a singlestage paint, kind of like a shampoo/conditioner in one...lol

Same maintenance, seel quarterly, or wax monthly.....I`ll stick to my original idea....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JohnnyDaJackal

Also the few times that I did wax my truck i noticed my royal blue paint on my applicator pad. What exactly does this mean??

What you have is old fashion `conventional` type paint. In other words your truck does not have a clear coat finish. That is proven by the fact that you see the paint color on your applicator pad.

What this means is that the more you use "1. Clay(Clay Magic), 2. Polish(Megs. #7), 3. Wax(P21S), mothers cleaner wax" and whatever other multi-step process mentioned; the more you will be wearing away the paint on your truck.

Keep in mind that the paint on your truck is only a couple of mils thick. Using all of the steps mentioned will only make your problem worse.

As for what to do. I would suggest simply using a `cleaner wax` about three to four times a year. I would certainly not reccomend a `wax` as that would only help to seal the paint and only help to promote further oxidation.

Remember, what you`re dealing with is `conventional` paint not a `clear coat` finish.

Just some additional thoughts...

Patrick
    As for what to do. I would suggest simply using a `cleaner wax` about three to four times a year. I would certainly not reccomend a `wax` as that would only help to seal the paint and only help to promote further oxidation.
    What ??!! You need to elaborate............

3. Wax(P21S), mothers cleaner wax" and whatever other multi-step process mentioned; the more you will be wearing away the paint on your truck.
    Isnt this contradictory?

Post Thanks / Like
    ho ho ho ho.... Merry Chrismas to all autopians

In Bangkok Thailand, I alwasys let my customers waxing their cars as much as they. My average waxing is 2 times a week.

First of all, I wold tell you guys that Bangkok pollution is quit bad that make serious oxidation.

For the show car shine or perfect shine, I let my customer polishing there car very 2 month with #83+#80+#7+MPPP. And I love the result on their colors

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im a little confused now I thought the reason i had blue paint was because I never preped my paint properly. I would wax right after I wash it. Also your tellin me older cars wit original paint jobs are so clean because of cleaner wax??? I need a little more clarity. I also forgot to mention this before but what should I do about waxin in the winter?? Where I am temperatures are in the 30s. I read somewhere that ideal waxin temperatures are above 50 and below 90(according to Meguiars). I would imagine if i waxed it in 30 degree temperature it would be very hard to remove wax and cause major smearing. Thats why I really never wax in the winter, that and the fact that is freezing outside.

Patrick
    The reason for the pad turning blue, is you have oxidation, your product(cleaners) are cleaning off the dead stuff.....If it was my truck: Wash, clay, polish, seal or wax.......If you wax, do it monthly or after every wash (you mentioned you wash every 3-4 weeks), QD in between washes.....Its a small price to pay my friend....

Post Thanks / Like
    QUOTE: mirrorfinishman - "As for what to do. I would suggest simply using a `cleaner wax` about three to four times a year. I would certainly not reccomend a `wax` as that would only help to seal the paint and only help to promote further oxidation."

Originally posted by Patrick

What ??!! You need to elaborate............

Isnt this contradictory?

No this is not contradictory. A `wax` is something completely different than a `cleaner wax`.

A `wax` such as a carnuba wax or any other straight wax type product is great for clear coat finishes, however when a straight wax is used on old conventional paint it only makes the problem of oxidation worse.

Here`s why:

When you have oxidation, it`s mainly because the oils in the paint are beginning to break-down and dry out. That`s a normal aging process of conventional paint. That`s why you see the color on the applicator cloth. With old fashion conventional paint that`s normal.

The reason for only using a cleaner wax is simple. A cleaner wax will still allow the paint to breath. That helps to lessen the speed of the oxidation process. Also, the cleaner wax doesn`t build-up on the surface like a `wax` would and all the other wax type products mentioned in this thread.

In summary, from my experience in detailing, when it comes to what to use on old conventional paint, in most cases it`s much better to use a `cleaner wax`.

I hope this helps...

Thread Information