Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So far in testing multiple layers or coats of SG on a black BMW, I can`t tell any differnce at all, they all look as great as the first coat. I do notice that after a week, if I add a layer it looks a little better than the "old" section. However if I AIO and put down a new first layer on that old section there`s no difference all.

Am I the only one experiencing this? It seems to me additional layers are a waste of time. I`ve tried body panels waiting 24 hours, other body panels with no cure time etc...

There`s no difference that I can tell, and that`s with my glasses on. I use the wipe-on wipe-off technique as documented, I mean it isn`t very tough to deal with...

Is it just me?

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a tough one as black is "IMO" the hardest color overall to deal with consistently, but when blk is done right there`s nothing like it. Just curious about what prep work you did before the AIO? That could tell alot...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by prgallo

So far in testing multiple layers or coats of SG on a black BMW, I can`t tell any differnce at all, they all look as great as the first coat. I do notice that after a week, if I add a layer it looks a little better than the "old" section. However if I AIO and put down a new first layer on that old section there`s no difference all.

Am I the only one experiencing this? It seems to me additional layers are a waste of time. I`ve tried body panels waiting 24 hours, other body panels with no cure time etc...

There`s no difference that I can tell, and that`s with my glasses on. I use the wipe-on wipe-off technique as documented, I mean it isn`t very tough to deal with...

Is it just me?

From what I understand, if you want to layer, then you can`t use AIO in between layers because AIO removes all previous SG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jabroni

thank you for posting your method Bill, it`s very handy. I will be sure to use it when I start.

Question: After damping the applicator with QD and applying the first few drops of SG, how often will I have to add more SG to the applicator? Also, when you use a back and forth motion to apply the SG, do you actually recover the exact same area more than once?

It`s hard for me to put this in writing. What I mean is, if you start with the farthest left side of the hood (to your right when facing the car), do you move from the front to the back ( the back being closest to the windshield), then move slightly medial to the streak you just made and come back down towards the front of the hood, so that you don`t "backtrack" over a previously wiped area?

If I only have time to add one layer of SG, can I put carnuba wax on it right away or should I still give the SG time to Cure?

Finally, if applying klasse AIO, do I follow the same method as for SG i.e. use a damp applicator?

I hope this wasn`t confusing. Thanks for your help!

Hey jabroni. Glad to be of help. As for your questions:

Q: After damping the applicator with QD and applying the first few drops of SG, how often will I have to add more SG to the applicator?

A: Apply a couple of drops on the pad per panel. Bottom line is that you should use no mre than one ounce per coat of SG. In the beginning you may find that you require a bit more SG (the drops may need to be bigger). But as you get to the end, the applicator will be saturated with enough ptoduct resulting in less SG (smaller drops on the pad). In the end, use your best judgement. Once you start doing it you`ll just know. You`ll get a feel for it as you go along.

Q: Also, when you use a back and forth motion to apply the SG, do you actually recover the exact same area more than once?

A: Yes. I always go over the panel a couple of times to ensure that the SG has spread evenly, and that I have sufficient coverage everywhere.

I do understand your explanation. You can go over the same spot twice. No worries.

Q: If I only have time to add one layer of SG, can I put carnuba wax on it right away or should I still give the SG time to Cure?

A: Let the SG cure before covering it with carnuba. Wait at least 24 hours.

Q: Finally, if applying klasse AIO, do I follow the same method as for SG i.e. use a damp applicator?

A: Yes, use a damp applicator to apply aio, and use front to back motions, and work in sections. With AIO, work it into the surface until it starts to dry. Once it starts to dry remove the remaining residue with a quality towel. AIO is a cleaner, as such you want to get the most out of it, that`s why I say to work it in.

Hope that answered your questions. Anymore, let me know!!

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

Are these the instructions from your `Klasse` contact ? I ask because the klassedirect.com instructions read to start with a dry applicator. This is how I applied - I just had to start with more product so as to get the pad `wet` enough to glide easily. In any event I would only use Sonus QD or nothing at all.

Thanks for the write-up !

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by maxshine

Bill,

Are these the instructions from your `Klasse` contact ? I ask because the klassedirect.com instructions read to start with a dry applicator. This is how I applied - I just had to start with more product so as to get the pad `wet` enough to glide easily. In any event I would only use Sonus QD or nothing at all.

These instructions are my own personal ones. I`ve tried the different ways of app/rem SG, and I`ve found this to be the best/easiest.

I have also used the klasse direct instructions. They are ok imho. I still think SG goes on better when the applicator is damp.

Different strokes for different folks, no biggie.

And, you`re welcome! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    When I`ve done a panel by panel test I have my control panel, which I redo the AIO and then use SG, this is the one layer part of the test. The other panel I don`t reuse AIO between layers. Guess what, there`s no difference!

Has anyone else tested panels to confirm there is a visable improvement? If so, was the improvement over a panel done a week or so in advance maybe loosing a bit of shine?

The prep I did was Poorboys SSR1 with a orbital (not a PC though). I tried it on multiple body panels so there is a clean break between sections, plus I did 1/2 the trunk and 1/2 the hood as a comparison. No difference.

I`m quickly coming to the conclusion the one layer is all I need.

I did similar tests with multiple applications of AIO, didn`t see any difference there either.

I`m planning to continue testing body panels, some with P21S topping over SG, some with AIO topped with P21S and see how that works.

If anyone has results from testing, I`d like to hear how it turned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked just fine today on a BMW X5 and a Harley Road King that I detailed.

Thanks again Bill, using SG is much easier this way.

BTW, I`ve found that if any residue is left behind (like if you used a bit too much SG), simply apply a very small amount of SG to that area with your foam pad and wipe immediately, viola! No more residue!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by maxshine

Bill,

When I bought my Klasse kit from CMA about a year and a half ago it came with about four pages of instructions and tips. That instruction sheet recommended using a QD on your applicator whether using by hand or pc. Also applied to AIO also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those, CMA, instructions have of course been around for a while. Since then, but before Bill North, much discussion has occured about introducing anything except SG in the application process - mostly by YoSteve who seemed to have the most experience with SG. I believe it was thought that it would prolong the `drying` process. Since then DavidB has introduced a Sonus QD/SG formula followed by Bill North`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this the same for PC application ? I have a suburban so i need tto save some time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this the same for PC application?

Post Thanks / Like
    Man I tell you what....you wait more than 60 seconds and that stuff is a lot harder to take off. I love this method.

Question though - I used Eagle One to help apply the SG when the applicator got dry. Are we sure that will in no way interfere with the bonding properties of SG when it is applied over the AIO?
    Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jab

Is this the same for PC application ? I have a suburban so i need tto save some time.

Check your PM`s...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by DefBringer

Man I tell you what....you wait more than 60 seconds and that stuff is a lot harder to take off. I love this method.

Question though - I used Eagle One to help apply the SG when the applicator got dry. Are we sure that will in no way interfere with the bonding properties of SG when it is applied over the AIO?

I was worried about that too, but it hasn`t been a factor for me. The key, IMHO, is that you ONLY spray your applicator with water or QD prior to the FIRST panel. Furthermore, I advocate squeezing out whatever you sprayed on. The real purpose is to make the applicator semi damp so that the SG goes on easier. Using such a minimal amount of QD or water should not hinder the bonding of the SG. Now if you are spraying loads of QD onto your pad prior to each panel, then there may be a problem. In my experience it is not necessary to spray QD onto the app pad as I go along because the pad becomes saturated enough with SG to keep me going.

Bill.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information