Post Thanks / Like
    I have a `97 WS6 that I just purchased a few months ago. The person that had it before me didn`t use the proper products to clean the rims, so the clear coat on them is kind of cloudy, stained, and even chipped off in a few spots.

I am wanting to strip the clear coat off over the winter and polish the aluminum. I`ve done all kinds of searching and have found that you use the special aircraft stripper to get the clearcoat off, and then you can get the polishing kit online. My question is this:

Can I just strip the clearcoat and polish them and use Aluminum Polish on them every so often or do I have to re-clear them? Is this safe for the aluminum?

I`ve heard mixed reviews so someone that knows their stuff, please speak up!!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best stuff that I have ever used is Aircraft Paint Stripper. If you dont already have a whole lot of polishing tools at your disposal,it would be cheaper to send them to a pro polisher. Polishing can be the most tedious and dirtiest job known to man.

Depending on the wheel,a lot of polishing step up may be in order. Some cast aluminums can be pretty porous and require a lot of cutting and smoothing just to get to the polishing stage. Even an easy wheel will require a few hours to polish for most guys with lots of tools.
    Im Zaino free.

Post Thanks / Like
    NozeBleed,

Thanks for your reply. i`ve heard that the Aircraft Paint Stripper is the best too, and that it should be used with caution!

I expected the job to be a tedious one, but I`m ok with that. I have ALL winter to work on it!

My real question still remains... IS it bad for the aluminum to strip the clearcoat off and not reclear it, but instead just keep it polished?

DOES ANYONE KNOW??? I thought for sure this would be the best place to ask!

Thanks!

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    i think the aluminum oxidizes if there isn`t a protective clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not necessarily bad.

You`re just removing a level of protection that would have protected the aluminum from anything that might cause it harm. (oxidation, scratching, etc.)

I`d re-clear them if I could. Good Luck!
    ~Miguel

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh, they clearcoat `em for a reason!

If you do all the prep ("I have ALL winter to work on it!"), you might be surprised at how inexpensive the clear might be... and a good investment.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most billet wheels on show cars are not clearcoated. Just keep in mind that while an uncoated wheel that is polished can shine like nothing else,it will require constant maintenance. Especially lower grade aluminums that are normally painted. One option could be clear anodized. It doesnt have the same shine but requires very little maintenance. Anodizing wheels can put a dent in your wallet too.
    Im Zaino free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jimamary

Gosh, they clearcoat `em for a reason!

Yeah, that`s kind of what I was thinking too. I`ve just heard a few people talk about how it isn`t REALLY necessary. You guys are probably right though.

I just don`t want to invest a TON of money into stock wheels. I`d rather buy new aftermarket wheels if it were going to cost any significant amount of money.

Does anyone know if you can clear coat them yourself? Is it something that you can just buy and spray on and have it turn out fairly nice, or is it like spraypaint that looks like garbage when you`re done?

I`ll probably just look into some aftermarket wheels for next year.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Clear coat is just clear paint AFAIK. I`d bet you could get a body shop to shoot them for pretty cheap, if you have them prepared correctly.
    `86 Porsche 951 garnet red metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s what I was hoping....maybe I`ll do some calling around today.

J

Post Thanks / Like
    If you find a body shop to shoot some clear, ask THEM what they would do to prep the wheels. Might just as well both be on the same page .....

Just a thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Since 2003, many advances have been made in alternative, eco-friendly stripping solutions used to strip aluminum wheels. The aircraft strippers and gasket removers are methylene chloride based, a very toxic chemical. Miles Chemical Solutions, LLC has many eco-friendly alternative aluminum wheel stripping solutions, to the Toxic aircraft and gasket removers. For more information on how they work go to: "Aluminum Wheel Paint Stripper,Powder Coating Stripper"

Good Luck with all your future aluminum wheel stripping projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have lived with bare aluminum wheels (and other bits) for years. Once polished it really just takes some maintenence. How time consuming that maintenence is depends on the design. Me, I just took some Mother`s for maintenence and waxed them so not much effort. Caswell has a wheel kit: Caswell Inc. - Aluminum Wheel Finishing & Polishing Kit Like it says, you can clear coat them, use Shine Seal or just do what I did. Mine last wet where cast centers with polished lips so I just sealed the wheels with a sealent. Not a great picture but you can see what I mean

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Busch Industries out of North Carolina makes a product called "Clear Coat Remover" to use on rims - paint it on with a brush; let dwell then hose off. It`s nasty stuff so remove the rims from the vehicle, wear old clothes and eye protection, and good rubber gloves.

Then, you`ll want to polish with an appropriate polish. Polishing Tools like our PowerBall series can help save time and give a more uniform finish.

Yes, they require regular maintenance if not coated. But, nothing looks better than a polished rim.

You need to decide how much time and effort you`re willing to devote to their maintenance. That`ll tell you whether or not to go for a polished or coated finish.
    forrest

Thread Information