Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased Autopia Ultimate polisher Kit with the hope of using it along with Paint Scratch touch up Paint pens to fill and smooth stone chips that are on the hood and bumber.

Can anyone help me on doing it? Is it something I should attempt? Can the result be as good as a body shop?

Thanks

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    You might be interested in looking here

http://www.langka.com
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    fjt- You`ll find better info than *I*can give you if you do a search. I WILL say that in MY experience, most shops will NOT do as good a job as you would. Do some research, get some FINE artist`s brushes (sizes like 00, 000, 0000, etc.- SMALL ones), some FINE sandpaper (3000 grit from Meguiar`s), different compounds and polishes and all the other materials you`ll need (good lighting!), then allocate plenty of time, and you`ll do it just fine. Don`t expect perfection, be realistic, especially if your vehicle has metallic paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Accumulator.

I got the paint pens from Paint Scratch already. I guess I am wondering which pads I would need to prepare or polish once the paint is applied. BTW: where can I purchase the Meguiars sand paper. What different compounds are you referring to? I have a rubbing compound from Paint Scratch.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    fjt-I got my sandpaper directly from the Meguiar`s website. I just got the 3000 grit, but you might want some 2000 also. After using them to level the area where you`ve touched up, you`ll need a RC to smooth out the marring (from the sandpaper). I dunno if I`d be satisfied with the stuff from PaintScratch, I`d probably use my 3M or 1Z stuff instead as I`m more familiar with it. Just treat it like any other marring as far as which pads, products, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    how much do body shops usually charge to re-paint a hood and fix the chips?
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on which body shop you go to, and where you are located in the U.S. Prep work, in general, is a little tedious. So they charge mostly from that. Alot of places around here, in Georgia, will probably charge around $200 for a hood and/or bumper. Most of these places have to do the prep work themselves, so that they can guarantee their work.

I know there are lots of cheaper places out there that will spray your hood for you if the prep work is done by yourself. I think maybe Maaco does that?? Not too sure, just ask them. If that is the case, they might just charge you like $50 bucks to spray it for you. Your prep work will only consist of water, sandpaper, primer, lots of time, and if it is needed, bondo. Since it is just a flat surface of a hood, you could probably just take a Saturday off and wet sand it. It`s not hard, just time consuming. Hope that helps???

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the Paint Scratch products also and had not problem fixing my hood on my 2003 Tahoe w/metallic paint. I used the paint brushes mentioned above applied the primer, paint, sanded the touch-up, and rubbed the spots with the compound from Paint scratch until I had a gloss finish. After that I used DACP, AIO and SG, it looks great. You can not see any indication of past damage.
    Ron Bowen-always trying to learn and improve my skills of the trade, 2003 Chevy Tahoe, Charcoal Metallic

Click here to visit my gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man. Where are you located in Georgia??

Thread Information