Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I have a question that I need help with because nothing

is working and its driving me nuts.(I am beyond anal with my cars)

I know Im a NOOB and the products I am using are not those typical

of a true Autopian, but keep in mind I just ordered a bunch of Autopia

worthy products due to my lurking around on the forums. Well I have

a brand new 2004 Caddy CTS(WhiteDiamond). Less than 3,000 miles on

it and my neighbors @*&$% cat decided to take advantage of the fact that I have not been able to cover my car the past few nights(Due to all

the salt and soupyness of the roads) Well I found a few scratches on

the hood and on the trunk lid. I used rubbing compound by hand and

then topped with Mothers Sealer and glaze and then Mothers Carnuba.

Yes, the scratches are hidden a bit, but its prob cause they are clean now, but is there anyway to remove them without having to have them wet sanded?

They look as if they only made it through the clear. Definatly not down

to the primer of bare metal. I figured I could rub them out because they

are very light, but they are still there and can still be seen pretty easily in

lower lighting. They are definatly noticeable. What can I do to get these

Muthas out? Or am I pretty much up the river without a paddle and have

to bring it in for a wet sand? Had I been able to keep the car covered I

prob would have been saved. God help the cat if I ever catch him in the act!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suggest you start at David’s guide (Learn icon – Car Care Topics) and/or (Forum – University) you could also research FAQ (go to Interact-Features-FAQ) or Interact (Search) and then ask your questions on (Forums - University) there are also tips on products under Shop (How-To). The Autopia “Guide to detailing eBook†covers most facets of detailing; every car-detailing enthusiast should own this book. If the Autopia forum solves just one of your detailing problems it’s worth the price of admission

If you don’t find the answer to (almost) any detailing problem after this kind of search, ask for your money back LOL

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a cat prob too and Menzerna Intensive then Final polish will do the trick. Also what I did was get a bottom fitted sheet of a baby crip ( thrift store $2) and with the elastic corners it will hold on the hood. Put one end hooked over the hhod where the seam meets the fender and the other down around the headlights. They are light abd won`t cause the crud to scratch. Then I take 4 mouse traps and bait them and place them on the cover on the hood. You will loose one trap. The cat looses interest in your hood. Once you loose one .. just put the cover on .. cat will stay away. I set one trap in exactly the place the cat jumps up so it lands on it.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Jess, thanks for the feedback, from the posts that I read that I found through the search function, thats what most said. I like your idea with the crib sheet, and the mouse trap idea is just an added bonus! TOGWT, I got the handbook and had a hard time putting it down until I finished it, unfortunatly though it doesn`t cover cat scratches. I am trying to avoid the wet sanding process at all costs due to the fact the car has less than 3,000 miles on it, kinda saving it until a last resort. I will wait a day or two and see what others say and then prob order the Menzerna Intensive. Since joining your community I have learned alot and learned about products that I never knew existed. In the past month I think I have spent close to $200 expanding my selection of products to use on my vehicles. Thanks everyone in advance!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a PC? If not you may have to get one. When My dog was a puppy I just cut his nails and didn`t file them down and they were razor sharp. anyways we went for a walk and he jumped up and scratched the side of my door. The only thing that got it out was 3m medium cut with a pc.

Post Thanks / Like
    neoflex, I have deleted your tasteless and cruel photo, along with the follow-up comments about that photo. This subject arises regularly, and our consistent Autopia stance is that we do NOT tolerate cruelty to any animals. We`ll deal with your scratch questions, but not with your sadism. I also moved your thread to the Autopia Univ forum, `cause the Autopia House Rules (available on the homepage) state we ask folks to post their questions there `til they have at least 30 posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by neoflex

TOGWT, I got the handbook and had a hard time putting it down until I finished it, unfortunatly though it doesn`t cover cat scratches. I am trying to avoid the wet sanding process at all costs due to the fact the car has less than 3,000 miles on it, kinda saving it until a last resort.
    Not sure what you were reading, then. The Autopia book deals extensively with scratches. There`s no significant difference between "scratch" and "cat scratch" except for your anger factor. And a search on Autopia threads will give you lots of info about how to deal with scratches -- whether shallow or medium or even deep scratches -- without regard to whether they were caused by a tree branch, a nasty so-and-so "keying" the car, or a cat or dog. Get over the "cat" part of your problem, and just deal with the problem, and you`ll probably have more success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neoflex,

My other car is a white Caddy and I can relate.

No need for mouse traps, you might be getting in more trouble if you do that.If this a car that is always parked outside, it is quite possible the cat might come back again, they tend to like warm hoods in the wintertime.I would risk covering the car all the time even if dirty from salt, gravel, I bet marring caused by these would be easier to treat than more scratches from the cat. ( You could always QEW daily first too if you are so inclined )I believe a Weathershield cover saved another car I had from damage by a cat or some other creature when only minimum damage was done to the cover and none at all was done to the paint when it must have crawled on my hood.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn, in all seriousness, it was a joke and should have been taken as that, no need to get all uptight! Sorry I broke a rule. I will keep that in mind next time. To everyone else, thanks for the useful information. I guess I should take a look at the guide another time but, what I wanted is just what people have been doing. Giving me your experiences with different products and results with those products. Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by neoflex

Lynn, in all seriousness, it was a joke and should have been taken as that, no need to get all uptight! Sorry I broke a rule. I will keep that in mind next time. To everyone else, thanks for the useful information. I guess I should take a look at the guide another time but, what I wanted is just what people have been doing. Giving me your experiences with different products and results with those products. Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

:nono

:lol
    Seth

Thread Information