Post Thanks / Like
    Man!!, reading all these posts is driving me nuts!

I am really interested in purchasing a machine to apply the wax/polish. I did a search and results are too complicated, because I have no clue or idea on the difference between porter or orbital or dual action???!?!?

I remember visiting my friend and he was using a machine and it was really hard to use. it was a makita for sure. Heavy also.

What I want is something simple, light, small and effective. I am not looking for the best. but something that wont break my back.

Only products I use are.

DACP maybe 2-3times a year. but mostly #7 + #26 every couple of weeks.

what do you guys recommend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without a doubt, the Porter Cable (7424). The Porter Cable Dual Action means it shakes and rotates. This will remove most paint blemishes and is pretty much fool-proof. Very rarely will you see a PC burning through paint. Run a search for it. I`m sure you will find more information than you can handle.

The Makita you used was most likely a rotary. Harder to use, but the best results possible.

Orbital is the least effective and you can pick those up anywhere (Wal-Mart, Target, etc). They do a better job for the amateur than by hand, but when it comes down to it, do not really provide anything incredibly beneficial.

Good Luck and Happy Buffing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Ryobi random-orbital polisher with carrying case that I`ve used once. It rotates at 4800 orbits per minute, and I have about 4-6 cotton and wool "bonnets" that fit on the end to do the polishing. Its an excellent medium-duty polisher and did a good job the time I used it (Aerostar Van). It comes with a 2 year warranty and is about 3 months old. I invested $185 in the Porter Cable 7424 + pads and decided to stick with that. You (or anyone) can have it for $30 shipped. My e-mail - skpound@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If your using it to *apply* the wax/polish you best off with the 7424 when you throw DACP into the mix. If it wasn`t for that you could use the Wen 4" cordless orbital. Its the same as the 4" Simoniz one I bought up here in Canadian Tire. One charged battery will get you through *applying* wax to a full car. Mine came with 2 batteries and I have used it to apply the Menzerna polishes / #9 / #26 etc. Its not as robust as the 7424 but great for wax application.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jesstzn

If your using it to *apply* the wax/polish you best off with the 7424 when you throw DACP into the mix. If it wasn`t for that you could use the Wen 4" cordless orbital. Its the same as the 4" Simoniz one I bought up here in Canadian Tire. One charged battery will get you through *applying* wax to a full car. Mine came with 2 batteries and I have used it to apply the Menzerna polishes / #9 / #26 etc. Its not as robust as the 7424 but great for wax application.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary

So your saying the Wen 4" is a good way to go if I am not going to use the DACP, while the 7424 is good for almost anything.

How heavy is the Wen 4" since it has the battery in it. and how big and heavy is the 7424? I mean can I do it with one hand or do I have to hold it like a wild animal?

Also, do both the Wen and the 7424 have speed control?

finally, the Wen 4" is what I am leaning towards but I really want to use the DACP. will the DACP just not work at all or its just not as effective as when used with the 7424?

I cant think of anything else

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a great link for info. on the Porter Cable Dual-Action Polisher, http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...430487&page=1.

If you want a tool that will help you remove minor paint defects then you should get the Porter-Cable, especially if you want to use the DACP. And, yes, the Porter-Cable polisher is variable speed. The Autopia store has a great kit that includes the 7424, three pads, and a flexible backing pad and it is on sale for the holidays; http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pc-7424-kit.html.
    `96 Jeep Cherokee Country - White - Gray Leather Interior

`02 Volkswagen Passat GLX - Reflex Silver - Black Leather Interior - 5 spd Manual

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wen isn`t too heavy at all but no speed control .. I don`t know if it will work with DACP .. I know it does with Menzrna Intensive. I use them both with one hand but if you press with the 7424 you need 2 hands.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Thread Information