Thread: Carpet Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found after my friend mr. search that there is not a lot of discussion on carpet cleaning. I was wondering if i could get some opinions on my method:

Vacume Loose dirt etc

Hose mat down, wipe off loose water(run my hand over it real quick)

apply carpet cleaner to now damp mat

use PC with brush to work it in

rinse with water

wipe off water again

hang dry

possible wet vac.

What do you guys think?

SIDE NOTE: I was reading that you have to wash your MFs before inital use, is this true or not? Can i wash all my MF with my Big blue towels and viper cloths as well?

Thanks guys
    "You offroad that thing?" "Yea man, all the time"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hose mat down
    That sounds like a lot of water. :p But your steps sound good to me. I`d wetvac before hang drying. If you have to put them back in the car before fully dry, keep the windows open so you don`t get the dank smell.

You should wash your MFs first time around. I`ve used a few on my paint without washing before I heard this. Now I do it for peace of mind.

I throw my MFs and WW in the same load with no probs. Dry on low heat until damp and hang dry. Just stay away from the fabric softeners,e tc. and you`ll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    If washing them for the first time, keep different colours separate as they will probably `bleed. After first washing you should find the colours won`t run & you should be able to mix them.

Always wash MF`s on their own with a liquid detergent.

Post Thanks / Like
    I manage to keep carpets clean using a solution of 1001 carpet shampoo diluted as per instructions into a spray bottle. I vacuum first to remove all dirt (Dyson or similar bagless cleaner good for this) then spray carpets and seats with my shampoo solution. I scrub with a small nailbrush and then leave to dry naturally. When dry (usually no more than 2 hours) I vacuum to remove any residue left and have always been left with a pristine interior (and that`s on a car doing 35,000 miles a year and being used as a mobile office). I have an odour remover from Selden (a UK based chemical co - a good friend is UK sales mgr) which claims to "eat" smells - not sure if this is true but it got rid of the smell of a Macdonalds last weekend totally.

Interior cleaning is the one area where I spend very little money - maybe it means the inside of my car is non Autopian but it always looks and smells fresh and that works for me.
    Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6

Renault Laguna dCi120 Expression

Ford Ka3

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually vacuum it all out with a dry vac, then I use the Hoover "steamvac" to clean the carpet (usually using a scrub brush and spot cleaner for heavy spots) then I get most of the solution out. Works fairly well. For the seats I use the Steamvac, wipe with a towel, then extract the water. This seems to work the best for me. The towel really helps get the dirt off. For carpetted car mats I put them on the concrete padio and break out the old Regina rug shampooer (just two 6" brushes). Works great, then I usually extract them with the Hoover to get the water out. I put scotchgaurd on the carpet and seats too. It helps with future cleaning, not so much keeping them clean.

Thread Information