Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the reviews section and I found nothing on this so I appologize if I missed something.

According to my 2001 Corvette owner`s manual I should apply the silicone product but I have been told to stay away from silicone elsewhere. (That`s one of many reasons why I`m a Zaino user.) I`m going to be restoring a 1963 Corvette and was on the NCRS board. Someone mentioned the Dupont product.

Has anyone used the Dupont product?

Where can I purchase a small amount online? (Minimum purchase directly from Dupont is $1,000) :shocked

Does anyone have any opinion of using one product over the other?

Thanks

Jack

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Silicone has some good and even necessary traits that enhance rubber, plastic and vinyl, at least when it’s the “good siliconeâ€, Poly Dimethyl Siloxane or PDMS for short. It’s water-based, dries to a non-oily hard surface, and doesn’t migrate the plasticizers from the material, less absorption of UV rays and non-dust attracting. Good attributes, The PDMS silicones tend to be more expensive.

The “bad†Silicone is Dimethyl Silicone. D/S is oily; migratory (pulls the plasticizers from the plastic/vinyl. Plasticizers are what give elasticity and colour to these materials), attracts dust, contains petroleum distillates which give the “oily “ feel, and can actually cause degradation of some rubber compounds in tires with sun interaction, removing “micro-wax†that all tire manufacturers put in their tyres.

I`m not claiming this as my research, just notes taken to explain the `myth` of bad silicone. I`m sure someone can guide you to a thread that gives info. on silicone (just thought the `quick` version might be of some help.../

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apply it to what?

Sorry... weatherstripping.

Post Thanks / Like
    GM recommends using 2 of their products, Weatherstrip Lubricant, #3634770, or Dielectric Silicone Grease, #12345579.

Can find dielectric grease at most auto and electrical supply stores. It`s good for temps as low as -65Â. Don`t know if it`s true or not, but some Corvette owners say during the winter, the grease prevents the weatherstripping from ripping/tearing if it "sticks" to the door from the cold or ice/snow or the doors from freezing shut. They say it`s in the GM Owners Manual, under the maintenence schedule.

Personally, depending on your winter conditions, I would just use 303 or your favorite vinyl/rubber/or even leather protectant. Like the previous comments, even with a thin coat of grease, one would think keeping your inner door and jams clean, not to mention your clothes, would be almost impossible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with my 2001 Camaro SS. The owners manual says to use dialectric grease on the rubber stripping around doors, trunk, etc. That Krytox is the same stuff the dealer sells, but much cheaper at the dealer. But, I`ve also heard many bad things about that grease stuff. I`m tempted to use Z16/303 and throw out the grease stuff. It is very confusing!

I`m sure somebody has info on this subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use BMW Gummi-Pflege. This stuff is made for soft seals. It is thick like vasline and comes in a tooth paste like tube with a foam applicator attatched. The applicator makes it easy to apply and the grease penetrates the seals and doesn`t leave a mess on the windows or inner door area.

Post Thanks / Like
    GM makes a Silicone Emulsion specifically for weather stripping and it was available in 50 ML ( +/- 2 oz) plastic bottles .. I can`t remember the price but was around $5 . Part no is 1#992877. Small bottle goes a long way and seems to absorb into the weather stripping very well so there is little being drug around during door jam wipedowns .. I applied it .. allowed an hour or so and then wiped it down vigorously with an old towel.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Thread Information