Post Thanks / Like
    I had a couple of questions that perhaps someone could answer:

1. Is it easy to damage headlights by wet-sanding them too much with 2000 grit sandpaper? I ask this because I have some etching that is still not completely gone and I probably could sand/polish it a few more times to get it completely out. I have already sanded and polished perhaps six times and I don`t want to get the headlight too thin or damage it.

2. I am using 3m perfect-it fine-cut rubbing compound on the headlights to remove the sanding scratches. Is plastic polish any different or better? Should I use something else?

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did some more research. Some people say not to due this because there could be a protective coating on the front that protects against UV. I don`t think I have such a coating (2000 Infiniti I30t w/ Xenons).

Some also mentioned Novus polish but how different can that be from 3m fine-rubbing compound? Plus, the novus system still uses an abrasive. I assume it is not much different than using 2000 grit sandpaper so if the UV coating was a concern then the Novus would be out also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look here to see if this is of help

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...ght=headlights

Post Thanks / Like
    The Container Store sells the Novus 2oz kit for $8 total. It`s a really good price. I have only been using 3m Fine Rubbing Compound. It has been okay. I will try Novus #3 and then #2 and see if I can get out some of the remaining fine scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    After doing as much research as possible I discovered the following:

1. Novus #2 is no better than 3m fine-rubbing compound

2. Of the three cars I have polish so far, Lexus RX300, Nissan Maxima, and Infiniti I30, they didn`t seem to have any UV coating on the top.

3. If there is no UV coating then it is okay to sand plastic headlights. No one has presented evidence to the contrary.

4. Wet-sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper is A LOT better than using Novus #3. Novus #3 is a very weak product compared to wet-sanding. It didn`t get rid of pits or deep scratches like the wetsanding + rubbing compound did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you`re doing all the research you can find, tholden1. Did you try any of the metal polishes?

When you say
    4. Wet-sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper is A LOT better than using Novus #3. Novus #3 is a very weak product compared to wet-sanding. It didn`t get rid of pits or deep scratches like the wetsanding + rubbing compound did.
    do you mean the 2000-grit sandpaper is more aggressive?

And ... most importantly ... how are the headlights looking now??

Sorry the Autopians haven`t offered much help yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t tried a metal polish yet. I am happy with the wet sanding.

2000 grit sandpaper is a lot more aggressive. The Novus #3 product is very weak. It really doesn`t remove much of anything. Maybe it would be good for yellowed lights but it does nothing for scratches or pits.

After wet sanding + rubbing compound the headlights are looking like new. They are very smooth and clear. You can kind of make out where I etched one of them with lacquer thinner (by mistake) but you have to look at the right angle to see it.

Thread Information