Post Thanks / Like
    I detailed an older stratus tonight that has been very neglected. I used QEW for wash, then busted out the Menzerna IP, FP, and had megs #9 on hand. It seems like the IP worked decent but only removed about 40% of the swirl marks (which were abundant). I tried various methods, loads of pressure moving slowly, light pressure moving slowly alot of pressure moving fast moving fast with hardly any pressure and everything in between. I used the FP obviously after the IP to see if that made a difference, of course not. Tried to #9 to see if that would help. IT did a little bit I switched back to IP and the swirls were removed this time but there are these weird pentagon looking scratch marks, very weird looking very symetrical and pretty equal distance between them (all over of course). The Menzerna IP didn`t even phase these scratches (which I could not feel at all). I thought MAYBE I picked up a particle of dirt on pad and it just happened to produce these marks, so I changeed pads but still there, no more and no less.

Any Ideas? Car was REALLY shiny after all the buffing, and he was happy with it but I am not it looked like crap to me. I told him next weekend I wanted to try some DACP on it to see if that might work, any other suggestions? I really wish I had my camera so you could see what I am talking about. The pentagon shaped scracthes/marring where about 4 inches tall and 4 inches side to side.:nixweiss :nixweiss and another :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics would really help!

DACP is a moderately aggressive product, so it may be enough to remove the scratches.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I was GOING to bring the camera but the wife HAD to have it to go out with friends tonight. I might be able capture them next weekend, if they are not covered in swirls again from auto car washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to bring the DACP but I forgot to grab it when heading out in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like
    that is a wicked situation. Normally, a PC with a yellow foam pad or Meguiars red foam pad with DACP or something like Scratch X would take swirls out no problem. Do you have a rotary buffer??? I don`t have a rotary or any experience with one but I can say this, a rotary will cut through swirls and imperfections like pudding. If used properly, a rotary can do more than wonders on a paint surface.

If he does elect to bring the car back, try out some DACP with a yellow or white pad and see what happens. Let the weight of the PC do the work, move very slowly so DACP has time to break down. I have past experience with DACP. It`s a awesome product. Break it down to a fine powder with the PC on 5 or 6. This should help out,,,,,91

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a rotary on order, I was using a yellow cutting, I think they will come out with DACP I too have used it before with success, the weird part is how symetrical the scratches are and their shape. I see the guy everyday (co-worker) but it is his wifes car so it may be some time before I get another crack at the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    On many cars those symmetrical "scratches" are actually stress cracks in the clearcoat. It happens when paint expands and contracts due to weather, or doing something like pouring hot water on an snow-covered car.

These cracks are in the layers of clearcoat and might never come out. If you find the next step of polishing cannot remove them, don`t worry about it. Stress cracks are a fact of life on some cars and only a full repaint will fix the problem.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    that answer gives me some confidence I worked this car for 5 hours(my hands really hurt). I met him back at work today and gave DACP a shot with the PC and it didn`t do anything at all. I have to believe they are stress cracks like you said bretfraz.

Thread Information