Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice!! Claying really cleaned up the car nice. Now I don`t know where to go from here. The little white spots are gone for the most part, especially the trunk and back area, but some few still remain on the hood. What do I do next to remove scratches and swirl marks??? I got a 6" orbital buffer/polisher .5A 2600rpm. See previous thread here

New updated pics in comparison to old pics here

Thanks for your help!

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    lovin the car, great choice, as in difference between claying, maybe its cos i am not a professional detailer, but i am not seeing that much of a change, u need to bust out the buffer and remove those swirls...keep up the good work and get that car shining!

Post Thanks / Like
    I see huge difference. See 7th pic down and then 11th pic down! They are of the same trunk! But its still got some white stuff on it....I think thats sorta getting into the paint.

Malta.....and studying in Cheltenham in the UK
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh ok, i really had to look close to see the differences...better if u had before and after side by side..

but i see clay has made a difference...how long did it take to clay the car...tempted to start using it. i reckon best product u could use now would be a swirl remover...like meguiars...

Post Thanks / Like
    Since car has VERY SMALL surface area considering the rubber molding at the bottom and size of car, it only took me about 2 hours to do it. Now when I pass my hand through it, it is completely smooth. KEEP IN MIND that the pictures taken are not in daylight, the garage creates a complete black room and the flash from the camera generates a lot of white lite. In daytime the car looks almost flawless. BUT I am greedy and want more of the PRECIOUS SHINY!! LOL! Still need more opinions on what to use next???

Post Thanks / Like
    The swirls are pretty heavy, you`re probably going to need at least something like DACP or 3M PI-III MG to get them gone for good.

What kind of buffer did you wind up getting, does it have exchangeable pads or is it a bonnet kind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wound up getting a regular walmart random orbit bonnet kind.....its is a 6" .5A 2600RPM 152mm buffer/polisher. Can I find DACP or 3MPIIIMG at walmart? Dammit, shoulda gotten it when I went to autozone. Also, I`ve heard that I shouldn`t use the buffer/polisher as I am applying finish because it`ll cause damage? Is this true? Should I use it with the glaze? Do I glaze first or polish first?? Then what, wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read through all of those links that I posted for you before? They fully explain the process of bringing out the best shine, removing swirls, etc.

I`m not sure how to advize you with that buffer. All of my knowledge comes from using the PC with certain agressiveness out of pads. I`m not sure about how it works with bonnets. I`m sure someone else will chime in and know.

You`re not going to be able to find DACP or PI-III MG in an autoparts store. If you don`t want to order it online you can try checking some body shop supply stores in your area. They should have one or the other, or both.

Please, do read around the site. All the information is there you just have to find it. You`ll get a lot more out of Autopia if you do the reading first. The steps that you choose have to be in line with what you`re willing to devote to the project. If you work the DACP properly, you may be okay with going straight to a wax. If you want more gloss, you can use a less agressive product in between like GEPC or VM. Then you have to pick what you want to use as the finish. Do you want a carnuaba, a sealant or something in between? That decision will make a difference on your prep. You can`t put a sealant on over something with oils without stripping them first...

Its just too much to explain in one post. Gotta do the reading

If It were my car I`d probably take the Walmart polisher back and get a PC, just because its easier to work with because of the echangeable pads. Not saying that polisher is useless, I`ve never used one, its just the PC is such a great tool that it more than pays for itself. Do you have any tool rental places around? You may be able to even rent one...

I would DACP with a yellow pad, followed by PI-III-MG with a white pad to clean up any marring, then something like GEPC, VM, or Poorboys PWC to bring up the gloss. Then I would use a product like Poorboys EX because its so forgiving on swirls and prior prep.

How often do you want to add protection? Something like a carnuaba is going to need to be done once a month or so. Something like the EX will buy you a few months, something like Klasse or Zaino will last much longer. BUT, you can`t use any of those swirl hiding polishes like GEPC, VM or PWC so your prep has to be spot on to get the best results...

Post Thanks / Like
    ok..wow...looks like im gonna have to look further into this matter and do some reading. I did read the links ya handed out....they suggest the rubbing compound, polish/swirl remover, wax cycle.........i think im gonna try that cycle first and if it doesnt work out I can always go to more advanced and higher steps to bring out gloss, etc. I suppose, I`ll try it with the walmart polisher first and if I find that it sucks, I`ll get a PC. It`s just that $100 for a PC it quite a bit....I just don`t think it`s gonna be worth the difference....lol.....afterall I am still a cheap college student.....lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand being a cheap college student trust me, but the PC is worth it

I wouldnt reccomend anything like rubbing compound... The DACP will be enough I think. I would start there (really, nothing lighter is going to remove those, you can hide some of them but they`ll be back) I`m just not sure how to pair those products with the bonnets.

Thread Information