Thread: Paper Towels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Heyas,

Now this is me sitting here and this was brough on by sheer boredom (consider yourself warned).

Ok so I, for one, have a hard time keeping my mf`s clean enough so that they definately won`t induce micromarring during the buffing off of waxes and polishes. I was thinking, what if I bought a roll of extra soft paper towels? They would be very clean, I am guessing. Think they would scratch paint?
    ~Miguel

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess if the paint was perfectly clean and the paper was damp, then maybe it might not damage the paint but I am not willing to try

Post Thanks / Like
    Paper towels have no real give, so if you trap anything under it, it will scratch. Look for the 3M towels, it`s expensive and I think it`s 125 paper towels for $22!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don`t want to use MF`s to remove waxes and polishes (what else will you use them for?) then the only other thing I`d use is DuPont Sontara polishing cloths. Available at your local Dupont auto body supply store.

Have a look here: http://www.sontara.com/productpages/.../pol_home.html

I would NOT use paper towels. There`s no real benefit to them for auto use. Leave them for cleaning the bathroom.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Paper towels will scratch the paint. Kleenex will scratch the paint. Even Charmin ultra will scratch the paint. That is of course, if your paint is as hard as TOOL STEEL. I bet it`s softer. I have serviced plastic injection molds. Some of the molds had to be optically perfect. These molds were used to make parts that were later triple chrome plated. The final polishing (With a micro fine diamond compound) was done using toilet paper, as paper towels, or kleenex would scratch tool steel! The TP would scratch it too, but not as bad. Rub your paper towel on a CD and see for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Viva makes the softest paper towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paper towels scratch... paper towels leave a lot of "lint"... DON`T USE PAPER TOWELS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren`t most paper towels made from wood?

Once during my misguided youth, I used a paper towel to dry a drip from some trim. I didn`t rub hard, just wiped the water. It put millions of very fine scratches in the paint. OK, maybe millions is an exaggeration, but there were a few hundred. I`ve since left the paper towels in the kitchen where they can`t do damage (for Anthony, they are beside the Dawn).

Even on glass, I`ve found paper towels to give mediocre results. They seem to lint really bad. Alot of them have glue that permeates the layers, and the designer ones have dyes that may contribute to their streaking. I have much better results with cotton cloths.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a small task for paper towels. I had problems drying the side rear mirror crevices after I finish washing the car.

I grab a paper towel and insert the corner into the crevices and it will pull the water as a magnet. I don`t have to move the paper just let it stay there and all the water will be removed easily.

:xyxthumbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go to the DuPont Sontara site. You can get samples. They sent me a package that has one of each type of towel/cloth whatever they`re called.

Fred

Guinevere, Red 94 BMW 325is.

Lancelot, Black 85 BMW 325e

Thread Information