Post Thanks / Like
    I bought some aftermarket chrome wheels this spring and am debating wether or not to put the factory wheels back on for the winter(they have little rubber left, and i cant afford new tires), is it safe to have them on in the winter in terms of not having them rust? I am autopian so if i do drive this winter im sure i would qd them or wew them when i got my car back to my garage, but i dont really wanna take the chance of messing up my nice rims, what do you guys think? safe to leave them on? Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    Id say stick with the rims with the better tires, better to be safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Acuracl98

Id say stick with the rims with the better tires, better to be safe than sorry.

I have to agree :up

The last thing you`ll think of when spinning out of control are the chrome wheels. Winter traction is much more important.

Will the tires on the chromes fit the other wheels? You could do a tire swap if so.

I think you should keep your stock wheels, save your $$, and buy some snow tires for next winter. That way you`ll have the best of both worlds.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I swap mine back to the stock wheels and tires every year about this time.

I guarantee, no matter how maticulous you are about keeping them clean, ROAD SALT will find it`s way into and behind the chorme layers and start to do it`s damage.

In two years they will start to flake. And you`ll be saying....."But I kept them super clean!"

Not worth the risk. Store `em for winter.

:xyxthumbs

It`s only a few months of ugly stock wheels.

I swap mine back on April 1.

Ironically, my factory wheels are chrome also. So I don`t really have a choice, I have to run them in the winter. I have noticed some pitting. But I keep them waxed about every 2 weeks so it`s not too bad. BUT NOT MY PRECIOUS DUBS!

BEFORE SWAP:

AFTER SWAP

Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    your car looks great either way Luster, i really dislike my little 15" stocks, ive got about 3 months and counting before i put my 18`s back on, i cant wait,
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Admittedly, I`m not the expert that many others here are.

But ... what`s the big deal? I show my old Jags with their chrome wheels. So when winter comes, I move the good tires onto the who-cares wheels ... and that`s it for the winter. Garages don`t charge much for re-mounting. ...

Post Thanks / Like
    i have factory wheels for winter, and the bigger 18`s for summer, so i cant change the tires, thats all
    NO! I won`t do your car next.

Post Thanks / Like
    keep winter tires on the stock wheels, and summer tires on the 18`s. then you have good rims and tires for summer, and good rims and tires for winter. You can even mount them yourself that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I try NOT to mount/dismount/remount tires any more than necessary. Opinions vary about damage to the tire`s bead, but *I* worry about damage to the wheels. Every time they are put through the process, that`s just one more time that SOMETHING could happen to them. BTW, this might be a good time to champion the use of ADHESIVE wheel weights, as opposed to the crimp-on style, for the same reason.

If you`re more concerned about PROTECTING your chrome (wheels and other stuff) than making it LOOK pretty all winter, you might try applying Meg`s #16 paste wax (not TOO thick) and NOT BUFFING IT OFF. It`ll form a barrier that will keep salt and moisture off the chrome. Once that stuff dries, it`s really tough (note that it`s also used as a mold-release wax).

But ultimately, as others have said, dedicated winter wheels with snows is the way to go. Compare the cost to your insurance deductible

OH, and if you`re changing wheels back and forth, make sure that you have the appropriate lug nuts/bolts for your spare. Those for aftermarket wheels are often NOT compatible with OEM spares.

Thread Information