Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking on the board for several weeks now. Thanks to you all as I’ve really enjoyed reading and learning

My problem is dealing with bird bombs on my dark blue/green 1995 Volvo 960. I’ve read DavidB’s articles and lots of posts, but I can’t seem to find any that deal with the situation I have. I’ve washed, clayed, and washed again. Now I can clearly see where a couple of bird bombs hit, but rather than etching the surface, the surface where the bird bombs were is actually raised above the clear coat. I was wondering if anyone has seen this before?

Unfortunately I couldn’t get a picture to show the marks. They are clear and show up at an extreme angle. It almost looks like clear coat was put on in the shape of a bird bomb splat. As well as see them, I can feel them and they are definitely raised. I’ve tried claying, alcohol, and prep solvent with no change.

I intend to use my PC with DACP then follow that with Megs #82 and #81 before I seal and wax. I have the appropriate pads from Proper Auto Care. My thinking is that I should be able to buff out the marks.

Am I on the right path?

-------------------------------------

My interest in properly taking car of our cars really started when I bought a blue 2002 Lexus IS300 with just over 9000 miles on it for my wife in September. I’ve learned a lot at Autopia and now have the gear necessary to take care of the car. I actually bought it from Lexus of Norwood, the dealer AlBoston has had some problems with recently. Had a few hassles of my own with them during the purchase, but after getting a super deal on the car, I ended up with two years of free maintenance – Lexus does seem to make things right.

Following the advice here I’ve got the Lexus looking wonderful and prepared for Boston’s winter. In the spring I’ll work on a few minor swirl marks, but at least I feel ready for winter.

Cheers and Thanks, Jim

Blue 2002 Lexus IS300, Somerville, MA

Patrick
    Just when I thought I had seen everything.....

:welcome

I cant say as ive heard of that before....Your saying that the paint has actually risen ? was the car repainted before you bought it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Patrick,

I don`t think the paint has actually risen. I was wondering if something in the bird dropping reacted with the clear coat though. I`m sure there is some etching in parts, but most of it is raised slightly. The best I can describe it is: it looks like someone painted with clear coat in the shape of a bird bomb.

From what I`ve read here, looks like I need to buff it out. At least it`s my 8-year old car, so I`m willing to give it a try. Good learning experience anyway. I tend to keep cars forever so would like to get the old Volvo looking nice again. Sold my two 18-year old red Honda Preludes earlier this year. I see one all the time as I sold it to a college student who loves it.

Cheers, Jim

Patrick
    the surface where the bird bombs were is actually raised above the clear coat.

Ok, Im lost.................

Post Thanks / Like
    Kill them all............... they reproduce quicker than rabbits...:shocked

Let not one live............

TC

:xyxthumbs
    There Is a Very Fine Line Between "Hobby" And "Mental Illness"

Post Thanks / Like
    Bird crap is acidic. It may have damaged the clear coat by etching into the surface. You are out of luck here. That`s why I imemdiately wash it off before the damage is done. Keep a bottle of water and some paper towels in car for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    After working on this today, I think that rather than bird droppings what I had was a bird egg that hit the car. I know egg is pretty corrosive to paint and clear coat so this may explain the raised surface.

I`ll see what the damage is like after using DACP with the PC.

Birds have more than one way to get you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Success! I had to use some medium cut compound by hand to get the surface close to level. Then I used the PC with DACP and have managed to remove the effects of what I think was a bird egg splat.

Pretty impressed with the process as it was my first attempt with the PC and DACP!

Cheers, Jim :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just about to tell you to hit it with a PC and some polish. Same thing happened to me. I actually got to it pretty quick after it happened, but a black car in the California sun speeds up the reaction.

After breaking down the poop, it looked like there was some stuff that was raised. I assumed it was residue that had attached to the paint and wouldn`t blot off.

It took 2 complete passes with yellow pad and SMR to get it level again.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s just what I had. It`s as if something from the bird reacted with the clear coat. Looks OK now. Nice to hear that someone else had a similar issue. I`m sure some who read the post thought I was bonkers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird...

Glad it worked out!

Thread Information